Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
I want to lease this Pontiac G8 from Is the G8 a good car. I've test driven one before and its perhaps one of the nicest cars on the market, but is it durable? I need a stable car that will not give me any problems. IT has only 18,500 miles, so its relatively new, its a 2008 GT.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The short answer is yes. Just like everything else, there are some bad ones. If treated responsibly, I'd say they are. If you read through this forum, there are numerous cars with 150,000+ miles with no problems other than normal wear. If the car you're looking at really only has 18,500, it's just now broke in and should last a long time unless it's been crashed and fixed by a cheap shop or it's got those miles one quarter at a time on Saturday night.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have almost 100k and the car hasn't stranded me once. Only items replaced outside of normal maintenance was the alternator and oil pressure sensor. Interior space is better than my trailblazer. I can fit 4 2x6x' pieces of lumber with the truck closed, and even a single 4x4x10 post with the trunk closed. I could fit the population of rhode island in the car comfortably, all while making the guy in his brand new camaro SS look at my rear end.

4 Buffalo winters and never stuck once, even when driving around in snow that was coming down at 6 inches an hour (wipers could barely keep up though)

I'd say its an amazing car :)

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Yup!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You're all set, OP. CarFax it or whatever but at 18,500 or if it was 28,500 or 58,500 you're good to go.

Merge on the highway with authority, hit the track, drive in the snow, or gently haul an infant in the back.

I've done it all and the car continues to stand up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will weigh in on the topic, numerous members on this page have been very critical of the cars suspension, in particular the lower & upper control arms, & the dod has also been an area of concern, with members reporting valve & cam damage. That being said I have had mine for 7.5 yrs. with just under 30k miles. & have not had these problems yet. Still driving on original tires with probably another 15/20K tread life left. It is my personal belief these cars are a terrific value.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't think there is a better full size luxury (yes I said luxury cause its got heated seats LOL) car that is used and can be had for the price. GT's and base models are very reasonably priced. But as with any car, it has its faults. However, in my opinion and most likely that of many others the pros easily outweigh the few cons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree the g8gt could be the best dollar value out there however likaibin was asking if there could be any problems with the g8's. reading this forum leads me to believe many owners have experienced similar problems with suspension pieces & cam & valve issues , I believe that there are many others who have had few or no problems. Some folks can not afford expensive mechanical issues, & was just trying to be honest with him or her.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
LEASE a 2008 G8? In 2016? I don't think that's possible...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Funny I thought the same thing, is it possible to lease a g8, I guess the answer is if a leasing company owns one I guess they could lease it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love my G8 and I would consider it one of the better cars I've ever owned. However, IMHO, leasing a 8 year old car is borderline insanity.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Agree with Pete09GT about leasing an 8 year old car. Personally never been a big fan of leasing.
Try and buy the car and at least you'll have some equity once its paid for.
G8s a great car appearance wise and a riot to drive.
Like any car it has its gremlins, LCA's, V6 timing chains, V8 lifters, that being said there are many G8 owners who have never had one of these problems....well most have done the LCA's....

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Some G8 are reliable and some require an expensive repair every 5000 miles.

How lucky do you feel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really like hearing these high mileage testimonials by G8 owners. I only drive mine about 2500 miles per year now, 7.6 years of ownership & no mechanical issues. Occasionally members post their high mileage accomplishments , kind of offsets all the cam lifters & tranny posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My G8 GT is at 275,000 kilometers still strong, stock with new engine mounts, alternator, etc but it amazes all that look at it for such a high mileage car.
If GM had advertised them more and showed them around some they would have sold many more. Even in the snowy north of Canada the traction this car has is incredible

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The OP is a spam bot.... but will place my 2 coins.

Almost 110,000 miles, daily driver, not a single mechanical issue on the power/drivetrain or suspension (original LCAs). Only major replacements are tires, brake pads/rotors (once) and 2 front wheel bearings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
18 Participants
PegLegUno99
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing