Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe this is a dumb question, if so.. im sorry lol
but for the first 5-10 minutes of driving my solo axlebacks are pretty much silent, when the engine temp rises and the meter is up about half way then it gets loud.. does this happen to anyone else?

·
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how
735 Posts
Typically I'd think it's the reverse... I've always found exhaust is always louder when the setup is cold (especially sub freezing). Last night my friends GTP on the stock system was incredibly loud, but when its warmed up you can hardly hear it idling.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
maybe this is a dumb question, if so.. im sorry lol
but for the first 5-10 minutes of driving my solo axlebacks are pretty much silent, when the engine temp rises and the meter is up about half way then it gets loud.. does this happen to anyone else?
This proves that your J-bends are out of adjustment for your car.

Stainless steel "stretches" as it heats up. By you saying that when the car is cold, it's "silent" ... that overall pipe length is different than when the car is hot, and currently your J-pipes are adjusted to target the shorter pipe resonant frequency.

I'd crawl under the car and loosen the clamps at the base of the J-pipes. Make a mark "before you change them" with magic marker (as your baseline) and pull the J-pipes an inch out from where they were on each side, and snug down. Now go for a run and see if you've improved or not. If it's now worse, go back to your baseline mark made and go shorter by an inch. If it's somewhat better, keep going in 1/2 inch increments until you get it to where you like it.

It's more ideal to have the J-pipes adjusted to the 'hot temperature' pipe length, as after the first ~10 minutes or so of driving, the exhaust will be to the hot length. (weather you're in the car for 30 minutes or 6 hours)

Once you get them where you want them for the hot length effectively cancelling the drone out, go from snug on the clamps to tight. Be careful not to burn yourself near the junction... the J-pipes themselves do not get hot, but the exhaust that you've been testing with where the gasses have been passing through does get hot.

Good luck!

--zepcom

Good luck

·
36 Posts
This proves that your J-bends are out of adjustment for your car.

Stainless steel "stretches" as it heats up. By you saying that when the car is cold, it's "silent" ... that overall pipe length is different than when the car is hot, and currently your J-pipes are adjusted to target the shorter pipe resonant frequency.

I'd crawl under the car and loosen the clamps at the base of the J-pipes. Make a mark "before you change them" with magic marker (as your baseline) and pull the J-pipes an inch out from where they were on each side, and snug down. Now go for a run and see if you've improved or not. If it's now worse, go back to your baseline mark made and go shorter by an inch. If it's somewhat better, keep going in 1/2 inch increments until you get it to where you like it.

It's more ideal to have the J-pipes adjusted to the 'hot temperature' pipe length, as after the first ~10 minutes or so of driving, the exhaust will be to the hot length. (weather you're in the car for 30 minutes or 6 hours)

Once you get them where you want them for the hot length effectively cancelling the drone out, go from snug on the clamps to tight. Be careful not to burn yourself near the junction... the J-pipes themselves do not get hot, but the exhaust that you've been testing with where the gasses have been passing through does get hot.

Good luck!

--zepcom

Good luck

Hi Zepcom,

I have the solo axle-backs on my 09 GT with an x-pipe in place of the mid-muffler and I think my situation is very similar to the original poster's although their car is a V6. If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting to make an adjustment to the lower clamp section on the j-pipes before the bend starts closest to the actual weld to the exhaust pipe - correct? All I have ever heard of anyone adjusting is the length of the j-pipe at the tail end or the second clamp, which I have tried with little difference in sound. If this is what you are referring to then I believe I would need to go out a little bit so when the car is at normal operating temperature the sound would be closer to what it is now when cold - right? I never knew that stainless steel "stretches" or expands when it gets hot - interesting. I'm just looking for a little bit more refined sound which may not even be possible with my current set-up?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Hi Zepcom,

I have the solo axle-backs on my 09 GT with an x-pipe in place of the mid-muffler and I think my situation is very similar to the original poster's although their car is a V6. If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting to make an adjustment to the lower clamp section on the j-pipes before the bend starts closest to the actual weld to the exhaust pipe - correct? All I have ever heard of anyone adjusting is the length of the j-pipe at the tail end or the second clamp, which I have tried with little difference in sound. If this is what you are referring to then I believe I would need to go out a little bit so when the car is at normal operating temperature the sound would be closer to what it is now when cold - right? I never knew that stainless steel "stretches" or expands when it gets hot - interesting. I'm just looking for a little bit more refined sound which may not even be possible with my current set-up?

Thanks,
Brad

DOH!!! I totally missed that the OP had a V6. Thus, there are no such adjustments on the V6 system. I suggest instead that the OP contact Steve @ SOLO to find out what any troubleshooting the V6 Axleback mufflers may have to see if he can solve his problem.

To Brad: If you're looking for more of a "refined sound" ... you may want to consider the SOLO Resonators. They refine and tune the sound in a way where it takes the 'edge off'. Honestly though, considering you have the axlebacks and an x-pipe, that's one combination that I'm not intimately familar with (I've always played in the catback world) and am not sure.

I guess you could try anything if you have some spare time... just make a mark at the positioning before you change anything, so worst case scenerio, if it makes it worse, you have a place to go back to as a baseline. Feel free to post your detailed results on a new thread too, so others with similar-to-your setup (X-pipe and SOLO Axlebacks) could benefit from you reporting on your testing.

The general rule is that if you make the overall J-pipe length longer, the tone/pitch goes deeper, whereas if you make the overall J-pipe length shorter, the tone/pitch goes lighter. Adjusting these clamps may shift your troublespot to exactly where you need it to be, which is the "warmed up" stainless length.

Hope this helps. Wish I could help more. You're on the right track... now go for it!

And to the OP, sorry for giving you bad advise. You don't have J-pipes, since you have a V6. Thus, you can't adjust the non-existant J-pipes like I described. There goes my reading comprehension. Sorry 'bout that. :slap:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOH!!! I totally missed that the OP had a V6. Thus, there are no such adjustments on the V6 system. I suggest instead that the OP contact Steve @ SOLO to find out what any troubleshooting the V6 Axleback mufflers may have to see if he can solve his problem.

To Brad: If you're looking for more of a "refined sound" ... you may want to consider the SOLO Resonators. They refine and tune the sound in a way where it takes the 'edge off'. Honestly though, considering you have the axlebacks and an x-pipe, that's one combination that I'm not intimately familar with (I've always played in the catback world) and am not sure.

I guess you could try anything if you have some spare time... just make a mark at the positioning before you change anything, so worst case scenerio, if it makes it worse, you have a place to go back to as a baseline. Feel free to post your detailed results on a new thread too, so others with similar-to-your setup (X-pipe and SOLO Axlebacks) could benefit from you reporting on your testing.

The general rule is that if you make the overall J-pipe length longer, the tone/pitch goes deeper, whereas if you make the overall J-pipe length shorter, the tone/pitch goes lighter. Adjusting these clamps may shift your troublespot to exactly where you need it to be, which is the "warmed up" stainless length.

Hope this helps. Wish I could help more. You're on the right track... now go for it!

And to the OP, sorry for giving you bad advise. You don't have J-pipes, since you have a V6. Thus, you can't adjust the non-existant J-pipes like I described. There goes my reading comprehension. Sorry 'bout that. :slap:
hahaa, no problem. I guess I'll just call steve and ask what he recommends i do, id hate to have to order a new exhaust and have to put it on again......

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Hi Guys. There has already been a lot of good information shared in this thread. Thanks! For the V8 guys...adjusting the top end cap of the J-pipes will take away bad rpm ranges and or vibrations if you have them. They will alter the overall sound a bit but what they are designed for is to tweak out trouble RPM ranges not to drastically change the overall sound.

On the V6...all stainless steel exhaust systems actually expand or grow as they get hot. Make sure that there is at least a 1/2" to 3/4" between the vertical part of our hanger rod and the rubber. There probably is but please check. If the vertical part of the hanger rod is close or resting on the rubber it can cause unwanted noises. It is strange that it gets louder when it gets hot? We have had very good luck with our MR resonators on both the V8's and V6's when people want to calm, refine and smooth out the exhaust note.

The Gate please call Jeff from Solo at 905-703-1557 with your concerns. I'm sure he will be able to talk to you and help. Feel free to call me as well. Thanks.

·
36 Posts
As a matter of fact I adjusted my J-pipes again today since I had some free time and it wasn't quite as cold out and I am happy to report that I believe I have found the right setting for my car. I had previously over the last couple of weeks tried adjusting them outward in small increments and then back in some, but not as far back as the original starting point of 9". This did not help my trouble areas like I thought it would. So today I tried going in farther than the set point of 9" and currently have them at a little over 8" on each side (8 1/4" to be exact) and after driving around for about 20 or 30 minutes the sound is much more refined on the interior when accelerating - no more really loud reverberations. When I first received the axle backs they were perfect, but after removing the mid muffler and replacing with an x-pipe later on I started to think I should make an adjustment. I really liked the sound of the axle backs with the x-pipe, but it was unbearable at certain RPM ranges and I was beginning to regret my decision of removing the mid-muffler. But all is well that ends well and I hope anybody else that may have this problem might find this useful.

Thanks Steve and the Solo team for the great customer care,

Brad

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
As a matter of fact I adjusted my J-pipes again today since I had some free time and it wasn't quite as cold out and I am happy to report that I believe I have found the right setting for my car. I had previously over the last couple of weeks tried adjusting them outward in small increments and then back in some, but not as far back as the original starting point of 9". This did not help my trouble areas like I thought it would. So today I tried going in farther than the set point of 9" and currently have them at a little over 8" on each side (8 1/4" to be exact) and after driving around for about 20 or 30 minutes the sound is much more refined on the interior when accelerating - no more really loud reverberations. When I first received the axle backs they were perfect, but after removing the mid muffler and replacing with an x-pipe later on I started to think I should make an adjustment. I really liked the sound of the axle backs with the x-pipe, but it was unbearable at certain RPM ranges and I was beginning to regret my decision of removing the mid-muffler. But all is well that ends well and I hope anybody else that may have this problem might find this useful.

Thanks Steve and the Solo team for the great customer care,

Brad
That's awesome; thanks for sharing! I'm sure more people will benefit from your post in the future.

SOLO really hit it out of the ballpark when they decided to make the J's adjustable. I had never thought of that, in fact, the origonal SOLO J's that were rough welded into my exhaust were never adjustable at all, and to think, if those would have stayed on my car and my mods would have changed over time, it would have become a dead-end solution. SOLO stepped up to the plate and made a solution that can change as your needs / mods change.

Awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts