Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states, I'm on the hunt for a base/ V6. I don't really care the color (my wife doesn't like white, but I don't care haha). I don't care if it's high miles or a branded/ rebuilt title; in fact those are the only ones in my budget as I'm just looking for a 4 door DD/ winter car for us. Will be willing to travel if the car is mechanically sound to drive long distances back to Minnesota. Otherwise, if it needs work I can trailer it too. Let me know direct or via PM. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Be sure to check the cars for sale listings. There was one for sale in Canada some time ago.

Reactions: carkhz316

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There are tons of V6 models on marketplace.

If you want a V6 then i am assuming you know of the typical wear and tear service needed on the V6?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be sure to check the cars for sale listings. There was one for sale in Canada some time ago.
I've briefly looked at the classifieds here, and found a couple, including the one in Canada which I wouldn't hesitate to go after, but last I knew borders were closed due to 'Rona; unless that's changed?

There are tons of V6 models on marketplace.

If you want a V6 then i am assuming you know of the typical wear and tear service needed on the V6?
I've been searching there, yes. I've found a few prospects, but figured I'd drop a thread here at the source, so to speak. I know timing chains, like any other OHC, are a maintenance item, but beyond that I'm not well versed with the 3.6s. Anything additional to be wary of?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The news said the borders are still closed until May 21st at the earliest....so how come I see US plates on the highway up here???? But I digress, you can get across for compassionate reasons and if its one thing we're compassionate about here its G8's so that argument may work.
Just looked at Autotrader.ca up here, you can grab a V6 from $3-6K depending on mileage. Only 3 cars listed.
Our version of Craig's List is Kijiji.ca, there's a 15 or so V6's listed in Southern Ontario again in the $3-6K range.
Given the favorable US exchange rate, +/- $1.30US to $1.00CDN, if you could get an owner to meet you at the border a deal could be stuck.
Nothing wrong with Hot White!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
... I know timing chains, like any other OHC, are a maintenance item, but beyond that I'm not well versed with the 3.6s. Anything additional to be wary of?
Crappy factory FE2 suspension, lower controls arms and other routine maintenance. Request maintenance records (if available).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I finally found one. I guess it didn't take that long honestly. I was thinking of waiting until the end of summer in hopes that demand would die down, but this one popped up on Marketplace and was only a few hours away. It's a 2008 V6 with 193k. It has no major mechanical issues and really just needs a good detailing and paint correction. Has a CEL, brake warning and TPMS light on, but I've solved 2/3 (excluding the CEL) of those already just since getting home last night with it. The CEL is for a B1 knock sensor low voltage. P.O. states they replaced the sensor, but code persists. I'm assuming likely a wiring issue, but I'll have to find out I suppose. Anyway, here are a couple crappy pictures of nothing special. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the cause of the CEL. P0326 knock sensor low voltage Bank 1. All is well, including the brake warning being fixed too. Just have to install a new tpms and all the lights will be off in this car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Good deal. Install a new tpms as in a single sensor or changing all four?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to go the cheap route initially and just replace the one (FR that doesn't read currently), but may just replace them all.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I tried to replace all four but availability was a problem up here.
I wanted AC Delco as Pont Man indicates but dealer only had two in stock.
Did them one by one after that over probably a 12 month span, for some parts its a 3-4 week wait up here in the sticks.
Was a drag making three trips to the dealer for what ideally could have been done in one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts