Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few coating posts on here in my search, but nothing really to say how the coatings stand-up.

I got a quote for their "Classic Polish" which is good to ~1300, but am waiting for a quote for the 2500 coating.

I realize that EGT will be higher than 1300 in most cases, but the steel won't necessarily be getting THAT hot. In fact I would think 1250-1300 would be enough.

Is the 2500 just a waste of extra $$$?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah... nevermind.... The 2500 is pretty much a no go LOL. I thought it was just the next level up of header coatings, but it's for Turbo Applications only.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
OP, ditch the jethot. If serious on coating, do it once, do it right - swain tech.

The dip coatings do not hold up to heat beyond a NA application regardless of what is advertised. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jet Hot is not a dip coating. They are one of the best coaters out there. Dealt with them many times and never any issues.
Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for right?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had my headers coated with Cerakote. Most it is holding up well, but some of it popped off with first startup. I contacted the shop that did it (really good powdercoating shop near me), and he mentioned that he had a bad batch of product come from Cerakote and offered to redo it for free. Haven't had time to do it yet, but I'd venture to guess that it would hold up nicely.

The coating is well worth it in my opinion. The headers stay cooler, and cool off faster than the exhaust pipe after the collectors.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am N/A.

Honestly, I saw no indication that either Swaintech or Jet Hot had any more or less problems either way. There were people that complained of their swaintech flaking, and people complaining of their jet hot flaking. I don't think I'll get hot enough for either.

Besides, they're right down the street and guarantee their work.... Appreciate the honest input, though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wouldn't bother with jet hot. I've seen several of their coating burn off on bends.
I used a local shop called it's not paint. Got headers done for two cars and both are still solid. Only rust on kooks is from scraps and road on bottom.
I've also used hi-temp rattle can on manifolds for turbos. Pot blasted then coated. Learned this from guy I worked with. He did all his headers for the drags cars he built.
Talk to your local performance shops and see who they recommend. Probably even get to see the work coming from the shops this way too.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm actually waiting to hear back from a local Cerakote applicator a little south of the NC/SC border. I'm not dead set on Jet-Hot, but every shop has unhappy customers. So, we'll see what these folks say about their efforts after the sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts