Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the procedure on filling the transmission fluid, I opened the drain bolt while running in operating temps till fluid slowly started coming out but my JRE dipstick reads nothing on the stick I’m worried. It gets wet only when I slide the stick into tube from residual fluid in the tube from pouring in transmission fluid

·
Registered
134 Posts
Easiest way to answer that? Take off the pan, put the dipstick in, and see where it ends up in relation to the level-check port. That will shed some light on this I bet. Sucks to waste all that liquid gold but might as well cover all bases. I suppose you could just CAREFULLY lower the pan with all the fluid in it...

There's a discussion here that might shed some light or raise more questions:

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=821&start=20

-J

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easiest way to answer that? Take off the pan, put the dipstick in, and see where it ends up in relation to the level-check port. That will shed some light on this I bet. Sucks to waste all that liquid gold but might as well cover all bases. I suppose you could just CAREFULLY lower the pan with all the fluid in it...

There's a discussion here that might shed some light or raise more questions:

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=821&start=20

-J
thanks man tons of info in here with that thread. What I came up with... the trans fluid would sit in the dipstick tube at the bends and puddle up and slowly drip down so I would fill some fluid let all the fluid drip down than fire it up and check it. I got it all ironed out. Thanks man

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah man ... There is a lot of info that is related to the topic but if you have done something wrong, then you must have to go and search for a mechanic for your car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
thanks man tons of info in here with that thread. What I came up with... the trans fluid would sit in the dipstick tube at the bends and puddle up and slowly drip down so I would fill some fluid let all the fluid drip down than fire it up and check it. I got it all ironed out. Thanks man

Good to hear, and thanks for updating with what you yourself found.

-J

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah man ... There is a lot of info that is related to the topic but if you have done something wrong, then you must have to go and search for a mechanic for your car.
show me ... nothing related to pooling of trans fluid in the actual dipstick tube was discussed that I have found. Not my first rodeo bud.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Disregard post number four it's probably spam.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I've been looking to do the same Camaro pan and filter with the JRE dipstick. I take it you needed to add more fluid for it to show full on the dipstick and all is well?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Trans fluid is always checked with the engine running. If you at the stock level and it just runs out a bit with the pan bolt out. And you tube is flush with the trans like in the photo. Then you need to shorten the tube a bit so the dipstick goes in farther to reach the fluid

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trans fluid is always checked with the engine running. If you at the stock level and it just runs out a bit with the pan bolt out. And you tube is flush with the trans like in the photo. Then you need to shorten the tube a bit so the dipstick goes in farther to reach the fluid

thanks for the heads up. Should be tricky to cut it to be exact

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Blowerwhore
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing