Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and have been reading the P0008 threads.

I just purchased my g8 at an auction.

So I don't know any history about my car.

It's a 2009 Pontiac G8 Base 3.6L V6 156000kms

The check engine light (code P0008) comes on and stays on for about half a day.

It goes away for the other half of the day.

I'm getting really poor MPG almost 16~17L/100km

I'm unsure which way to approach this P0008 issue.

-------------- symptoms ------------------

1. Car will not go forward(significantly/barely) by itself when it is left in 'D' and the foot is off the break (accelerator not pressed).

2. The transmission feels really chunky. Both When you drive and when you switch gear.
(especially when you change from P to D or vise versa, it would change the gear and then a second later this chunk feeling like the gears got engaged)

2. When the engine light is on:
When you are in 'D' and you let go of the brake just so slightly that it moves barely.
You can feel this sudden movement forward randomly like a hand full of gas burst in the engine.

I just bought the car and I'm trying to keep the costs down.. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If you read the P0008 threads you should know that this is a timing issue. Your timing chain should be replaced. I believe it is a common issue with the V6 engine.

This is not a transmission problem.

Gotta get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Have had the P008 code several times and it is not necessarily per se a timing chain issue. Will start a thread in the coming days, perhaps today, because a P0008 code is a generic General Motors code and is often misdiagnosed as inevitable timing chain replacement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
3.6L GM engines in any model that throw a P0008 have a very good chance to be timing chain issues. Work at a Dealership and P0008 is 9/10 timing chain replacement

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hah. Not here to argue with anyone, but as they say the proof is in the pudding. Long story short, dealership replaced the timing chains under warranty at around 75,000 miles. At approximately 30,000 miles later the code (P0008) reappears. Eventually, the same dealership said the timing chains needed to be replaced again at a tune of over $1,800 along with the water pump and some other preventative maintenance stuff which ironically wasn't mentioned the first time around not even as an option to be invoiced and payed separately from the initial warranty work. Eventually, made a nice paper airplane out of the repair estimate and can't recall specifically what was included in the $1800 estimate. Fortunately, the problem was remedied for $150. The P0008 code has not appeared since not even as a pending code. Am not saying this is the case for every P0008 code, but it worked it in this instance. Moreover, was even told by a master technician that I am wasting my money and typically when that code appears... blah blah blah. He wanted $150 just to simply diagnose the vehicle. I said I'd rather throw $150 worth of parts at it instead. Unfortunately, I can not contribute much towards alleviating the problems of the author, since from experience, it's just way too much going on here.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I believe there is a sensor on the crank shaft that can be the cause of this code also.
Not much help here, can't remember what the darn sensor is called....somebody chime in and help....

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Welcome aboard. Good luck getting her fixed!

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
The chain guides wear out as well, just best to change it all.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
The chain guides wear out as well, just best to change it all.
I completely agree and couldn't understand why General Motors opted to only replace all three timing chains for reasons other than trimming costs. No camshaft sprockets, timing chain guides, not even the tensioners were changed. The service advisor tried to explain the decision, but said they followed the recommendations or requirements in a bulletin. Right again, oil changes well ahead of what the oil life monitor recommends are critical as well since this engine is so prone to sludge accumulation. The only reason I reset the idiot light is so it won't say the oil needs to be serviced.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Oil changes are the key I have found so far. Use synthetic . I also use what is called "Restore" It helps, Ive used it for as long as I had a Car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've gotten an oil change and transmission fluid changed.

Mpg improved as well as drive engagement much better after the transmission fluid changed.

The mechanic I went to said he'll ask his buddy at gm but to prepare to change timing chain and camshaft.

The funny thing is it's gotten pretty cold, 13 degrees Celsius in Vancouver today.

The check engine light is gone and hasn't been coming back on today.

Do you have any idea what may be wrong?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts