Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it, I've had this car since 5k, been nice to me. Really only thing I've done maintenance wise was a clutch and tires. How is everyone else doing? Any big ticket items? Guess I'm looking at 100k tune up soon. Any preference on spark plugs and such?

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
I replaced my original plugs with factory OEM replacements, and will likely do it again in the next year or so. Replacing fluids like coolant and differential fluid would likely be warranted due to age and miles as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I was thinking. As soon as I get my old truck off the rack, the g8 is going in the air for a while

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking. As soon as I get my old truck off the rack, the g8 is going in the air for a while
100k probably wouldn't be a bad time to check and maybe replace the belts too. From what I have found online, rear diff should be done at 50k, so do that for sure. Trans fluid & filter will be ready for a change too.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Title says it, I've had this car since 5k, been nice to me. Really only thing I've done maintenance wise was a clutch and tires. How is everyone else doing? Any big ticket items? Guess I'm looking at 100k tune up soon. Any preference on spark plugs and such?
As others have stated, you cannot go wrong with the OEM spark plugs.

For wires, go with ACDelco 748RR (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JZZDLM - Yes, they fit the G8).

Avoid the [cheaper] ACDelco 9748RR: https://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=161913&stc=1&d=1562261632

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had mine for 2 years, did all fluids the day I purchased it, and in 20k miles I have only done oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, air filter cleaning, and a water pump just for preventative maintenance. This car has been rock solid!

·
F1rehawk
816 Posts
Still nothing major at 60000 Kilometers for me. Regular maintenance, all fluids changed at 40000 except for coolant, oil change every 7500. Spark plugs changed, and a few bolt-on modifications as well. Doing internals on the engine in May, and belts/pumps will be changed/upgraded as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine has 77k miles on it and it is dead. Had a misfire in a cylinder and after a lot of troubleshooting I pulled the motor and found some metal in the oil pan. So it sits in my shop until I get around to shelling out big money for a rebuild or I sell it. The good thing is I caught it before something really bad happened. Glad to see others are getting a good life out of these cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine has 77k miles on it and it is dead. Had a misfire in a cylinder and after a lot of troubleshooting I pulled the motor and found some metal in the oil pan. So it sits in my shop until I get around to shelling out big money for a rebuild or I sell it. The good thing is I caught it before something really bad happened. Glad to see others are getting a good life out of these cars.
What a bummer! Did you get a CEL for the missfire at least? What caused it a bad coil, wire, plug?

·
Registered
47 Posts
What a bummer! Did you get a CEL for the missfire at least? What caused it a bad coil, wire, plug?
Felt like valve float at 4500 rpm and then the CEL and misfire. It ran like crap ever since throwing all kinds of codes and then going into limp mode. I had a lot of leak down when I did a leak down test, so I took the engine out. I popped the heads off and pistons and valves all seem fine but the oil pan has a lot of gray sludge in it and a piece or two of metal indicating something was eating itself. I am thinking a bearing was giving up the ghost. I have not totally torn down the motor because life has gotten in the way and I am not sure what I am going to do with the car anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts