Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
There's been talk for years before the bankruptcy for making corvette its own brand. I dont think it'd happen now with the economy and the bankruptcy, but think about it. how many folks tell you they own a Chevrolet Corvette? Everyone i've known that owns one or has in the past stated "i have a vette" or "i own a corvette"

the slp additions to the camaro do not surprise me, and i'd look for even more. I hear theres a berger version, and perhaps a gmmg version as well, not to mention a lingenfelter version and i'm sure callaway will be doing something too.. the "Roushes" of the camaro world are coming out hard core. Hell even the mustang guys are customizing them. I think Saleen is doing some mods on them too.

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts
I'm really confused about Chevy's whole approach here.

Isn't the Corvette supposed to the halo car for the brand, the fastest, most powerful and expensive Chevrolet you can buy?
ZR1 = Faster, can't imagine a 4,000lb Camaro would do 3.6 0-60
ZR1 = 638hp, they won't make the Z more powerful than that
ZR1 = $110,000, yeah ok.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I would love to see the z/28 make it, i would buy one for sure if it ever did.

Also the lt4 camaro never made production through gm that i ever saw, the lt4 only came in the anniversary vette, i had a buddy that had one and with the 6 speed manual it was wicked for its time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also the lt4 camaro never made production through gm that i ever saw, the lt4 only came in the anniversary vette, i had a buddy that had one and with the 6 speed manual it was wicked for its time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine
http://www.aasencamaros.com/97SSLT4.html
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/1025382-f-s-1997-camaro-ss-lt4-serial-001-a.html

Just a couple I pulled from the net quick. Whether or not GM did it, or SLP (or somebody like that) I dunno.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Looks great, nice work!

·
Registered
50 Posts
ZR1 = Faster, can't imagine a 4,000lb Camaro would do 3.6 0-60
ZR1 = 638hp, they won't make the Z more powerful than that
ZR1 = $110,000, yeah ok.
That's a little misleading, don't you think? As if the ZR-1 is the only Corvette sold.

Where does that leave the C6 Corvette?

The Corvette brand (three cars, now) is supposed to be the halo for General Motors, not some Corvettes and not others. Otherwise, it's not really a halo brand, anymore.

A factory Camaro that overlaps with a factory Corvette just tarnishes the brand and elevates what's supposed to be a lesser nameplate.

·
Registered
791 Posts
As awesome as that car is, it's just too much for a Camaro. I'd rather have the convertible SS, and spend $10k on mods

·
Red Sox Nation !!!
2,665 Posts
That's a little misleading, don't you think? As if the ZR-1 is the only Corvette sold.

Where does that leave the C6 Corvette?

The Corvette brand (three cars, now) is supposed to be the halo for General Motors, not some Corvettes and not others. Otherwise, it's not really a halo brand, anymore.

A factory Camaro that overlaps with a factory Corvette just tarnishes the brand and elevates what's supposed to be a lesser nameplate.
Guess what, the L88, LT1, LS1 were all the same in both cars. The new engines will all be the same also.

·
Registered
62 Posts
sadly i have mixed feelings about this.

The traditional z28 was a corner carver, not a straight line brawler. It didnt have a huge motor, and it could turn ungodly high revs, and put down alot of power out of a little 305. (1960's not 1980's.)

I believe you meant, out of a little 302

305 did'nt arrive until late 70's/early 80's

Stan

·
Registered
373 Posts
That seems pretty accurate. Your previous statement that all 97 SS had the LT4 was not exactly correct. The 97 SS had the LT1 except for that special run of 100 and I believe those LT4 SS (and Firehawks) approached Vette territory in price when all was said and done.

Chip

·
2007 Mustang GT
387 Posts
ima say this car will list around 53 if its ever built.

and I dont agree with the Z28 being the top tier performance. as others said, wasnt the Z28 a corner carver with the 302 and IIRC that engine was a screamer. the SS you could always get the bigger engine ala the 396BB.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm really confused about Chevy's whole approach here.

Isn't the Corvette supposed to the halo car for the brand, the fastest, most powerful and expensive Chevrolet you can buy?
Yeah. The Z06 will still probably take this thing down. Plus, the ZR1 is lights out...

However, I think what's going to happen is that the LSx engines will be a thing of the past in the new 'vettes. I would think the new generation V8s will be direct injected. The vette should be the first cars that get Gen V DI V8s. Those should be putting down well over what the LS3 does now. I would guesstimate somewhere in the high 400's? Wishful thinking..

·
Registered
586 Posts
If they are smart this will be a mustang gt500 and base corvette fighter at 45-50k. At this price range I would expect it would out perform its competition. Anything more than that price point your competing in a different arena.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
29 Participants
ColdFuzion
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing