Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of GXP axlebacks last weekend for a deal. They're immaculate and Ive always wanted to try a set out on my GT. I pulled off my Pypes axlebacks, put these on and.......was a little disappointed in how quiet they are.

My setup:
Stock motor
CAI
Cortex (DOD disabled)
OEM manifolds
Modified mid-pipe (Magnaflow 12468 xpipe muffler in place of mid-muff and resos deleted)

Before the Pypes, I ran a set of Flowmaster Super 40s welded in place of the GT mufflers. I had the stock midpipe in place and they droned really badly so I sold them. Then I purchased the Pypes and the modified midpipe. I liked the volume with the Pypes axlebacks and I liked the single oval tips. I had very very little drone at 1800 rpm which I didnt mind. I was hoping the GXPs would be approx the same volume but maybe a little deeper sound. I LOVE the GXP tips. I am just a little disappointed at how quiet the GXP mufflers are with my setup. I'm pretty sure I will keep them since I want headers in the future but for now I would like to know what yall recommend for axlebacks.

Ive considered the following:
Solo
SLP Loudmouth
Building my own with something like spintech or borla or a bullet/race style mufflers

·
Registered
383 Posts
get some headers and it will sound way nicer

·
Registered
179 Posts
Better yet headers and a lopey cam..........

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've had both the Solos and the GXP axelbacks on my otherwise stock set-up (and I'm currently are using the Solos). The Solos give more sound than the GXPs and drone is only slightly more pronounced from the GXP set up. If the drone bothers me, which it usually doesn't, I just shift into manual mode to get rid of it. If you every find a deal on the Solos, I'd say give them a try.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As mentioned, put some headers on it and also get rid of the mid pipe setup you have as well. Just go with a good x-pipe along with the headers and those GXPs will sound awesome...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want headers but it will probably be at least 6 months before I get them. I have several projects I want to fund around the house first (stone patio/firepit, adding electrical to my shop, additional landscaping, etc). I have been tempted to sell the GXPs and try the Solos but Im afraid they will be too loud after headers. I guess I just wont be satisfied until I get headers. Do midlength headers bolt in?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
kooks mid length will bolt in , and have cats

if money is tight from the other projects , look into coated pacesetters , though youll eventually need a tune from no cats , but even with the kooks there is a chance of getting a code

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Without headers, it will sound stock, especially with a mid-muffler. Can you pull the mid-muffler off, or is it welded on?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kooks mid length will bolt in , and have cats

if money is tight from the other projects , look into coated pacesetters , though youll eventually need a tune from no cats , but even with the kooks there is a chance of getting a code
I am leaning towards these then. Are they designed to bolt up to stock midpipe?

Without headers, it will sound stock, especially with a mid-muffler. Can you pull the mid-muffler off, or is it welded on?
It is welded in to a midpipe I bought from Shawn. I still have my factory midpipe hung in the rafters of my storage building though...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
yes they do

sent ya a pm

·
Nuclear User
328 Posts
I've got a spintech axleback I'd put you on in a few weeks. :lol:

·
Registered
197 Posts
With headers. You'll love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.