Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
1,979 Posts
Looks good! Is that radio trim custom? Also did you pick the HVAC unit up used or new? I thought they stopped making the controller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good! Is that radio trim custom? Also did you pick the HVAC unit up used or new? I thought they stopped making the controller.
Thanks. Yes, its a custom trim and yes I picked it up new. I thought so too but, I ordered it and a few days later was ready to be installed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice! I have a perfectly good Avic 930BT I'd LOVE to install in my G8, but don't have the HVAC controller nor the custom kit to hold it all in as of yet.. LOL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! 1GMFanatik definately major change in sound once you take the plunge.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bit the bullet and went with the 165krx2 front and rear.
Front and Rear! Wow. I have the KRX2 up front and I like them but dont think I'd drop that kinda money on them for the rears. Probably sounds pretty good though.
Only complaint I have about mine so far is that they are pretty bright and can be fatiguing overtime. At higher volumes they stay perfectly clear but they almost scream in your face.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Front and Rear! Wow. I have the KRX2 up front and I like them but dont think I'd drop that kinda money on them for the rears. Probably sounds pretty good though.
Only complaint I have about mine so far is that they are pretty bright and can be fatiguing overtime. At higher volumes they stay perfectly clear but they almost scream in your face.
i can agree but that can be tuned out some

·
Registered
568 Posts
i can agree but that can be tuned out some
Have you had any luck tuning it out? I really havent done too much tweaking to mine yet but I'm thinking if I change the slope of the high pass crossover to -6 or maybe -12, then it should tame it a little bit.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
looks great man. wish someone would make that mounting piece and fascia.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have rear speakers on deck with lots of hush mat. Impressed how much clarity. Did take some tweaking, but results are amazing. Brightness seems to be just right for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well system was really good but cant leave really good alone. This started when a few days ago found out I had a weak link. JL sub started to come apart, but was still functioning. When in for an upgrade on sub and project has changed considerably now. 8 in. Dynaudio MW172 on doors are in and focals are on custom front kickpanels, decided after all to install yet another set of focal k2 speakers in rear doors also. Sub enclosure will be removed and a fiberglass enclosure is being made for right rear corner of tail light area. Speaker of choice is leaning towards X series alpine 12. All in all will be running 3 alpine amps. Talk about being spontaneous!

·
Registered
568 Posts
You're going to have quite a bit of sound behind you. I assume you prefer the sound to surround you as opposed to trying to mimic having a stage in front of you?

As for the Focals. I change my mid/tweeter crossover point to 2600hz with an 18dB/Octave slope. It brought the sound up more on the windshield and tamed the tweeters a bit. I also bought some Morel MT23 tweeters and set them on the dash to do some A/Bing against the Focals. The Morels are quite a bkit more detailed, less harsh, and handle the lower frequencies better. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take out the Focal tweets and put in the Morels permanently this weekend. They blend together very nice with the Focal mids as well. Now to deaden the car. $400 for 80sq ft of Damplifier Pro. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking for as much versatility with the system. Hope to have it done in a few more days. Focals can be a little in the bright side, I agree. Seems like you've got the system dialed in. I'll soon find out were I set my crossover point. I felt I wanted more mid bass so the decision was made to add the Dynaudio's 8 inches on doors to create more of a 3 way on front. Nice combination with the Morel's!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,
Where did you purchase the HVAC? and did it come with the dash kit?

I love the looks, I just bought a full set of jbl components (front and rear), running off factory radio and alpine pdx4.100 amp. I still have engine noise so i am interested in getting a setup close to yours.
Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Through folcik. Got great service and help. Dash kit was custom made. Great upgrade, and I think you'll like it!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts