Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a K&N oil filter the other day from Amazon. I noticed it was made in the USA. When I was changing the oil yesterday, I saw the old filter was made in Mexico (bought about a year ago). The is different construction inside at the bottom. The Mexican filter has a cylinder formed in the bottom while the USA filter is flat, maybe domed somewhat. I don't know what that means, maybe the Mexico filter has a coil spring bypass while the USA filter has some sort of flat valve for the bypass? Earlier in the day I was at Walmart getting oil, and peeked at some other oil filters while I was there. The K&N and the Mobil 1 M1-113A appear identical on the inside. The outer can is a little different. The standard ACDelco PF48E, at just less than $4, has a plastic internal cage that is a lot more open than the metal innards of the others. It's USA made as well. Lightweight and has good recent reviews on Amazon & elsewhere. I got one of them as well because it was cheap, and ended up using it instead of the K&N because I wanted to compare the old/new side by side when I have the chance later.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I guess I didn't take any pics of the AcDelco.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
This kind of thing always makes me wonder the reason why? We have a good idea why it was made in Mexico $$$
It's good to see it's being made here. I haven't bought a KN filter in quite a while no real reason except it's not offered with the oil I buy when it's on sale.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Wonder if it's merely assembled in America and comprised mainly of globally sourced parts or if everything start to finish is made "in these yet to be United States". :unsure:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I bought a OTC hub puller not to long ago and that's the same line they use Sourced from all over the Globe! So it's still a up in the air crap shoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts