Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a moment of weakness, I ordered the new Kayhan Audio setup AND the G8 Designs kit with a Pioneer W8400NEX headunit. I haven't installed either, but have opened both and have some thoughts. I didn't take many pics of the G8 Designs kit, so most of this will be about the Kayhan.

The Kayhan comes attractively packaged in a hard cardboard box with magnetic closure, with purpose cut foam to secure things in place. So good so far. The trim around the unit is sturdy with what seems like a durable finish. The G8 Designs trim, by comparison, is a thin shell with a finish that seems like it'll be easy to muck up. Mine came with some handling scratches that are sizable, but only visible under certain lighting angles, so I might not notice them much if at all when in the car. And people seem happy with the kit, so it'll probably be fine. I've talked to the guy and he says if it's a problem, he'll make it right. The Kayhan didn't have any of that. Kayhan's install instructions are absent from the kit. The guy with the Facebook account says they were making a Youtube video showing the process. LOL, as I'm typing that sentence, he IMs me a link to the install. Talk about timing! It's 42 minutes long. I'll have to watch it later. G8 designs emails a lengthy and well detailed PDF instruction set. I haven't attempted either install yet, but it seems like the Kayhan will be a little easier, requiring less splicing. G8 Designs requires a few splices that Kayhan manages to build into the harness. It's probably mostly unavoidable because the G8 Designs kit is designed to use with any number of different headunits, so that's fine. One of those in the canbus connection, which seems like it could be in the main harness connector like Kayhan does, but would need a whole large section of open pin sockets for just one wire. So G8 Designs included the splice, along with all the rest of the splices you'll need, to save a little money. That's only a nitpick, nothing major. The Kayhan's wiring is all well labeled. There are one or two that I'm not sure what they are. I'm sure it'll be in the install video. G8 Designs' is all well outlined in the install PDF.

Some pics. Sorry some are sideways. Tinypic rotated my vertical pics and I'm not sure how to change it back.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Some of the G8 Designs kit. Mostly the marks on the trim.

There's a scratch here that is pretty much invisible under indirect lighting.

Visible under direct light.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does tinypic not work here? Pics aren't showing on my end.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bleh, now they're on Photobucket.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
No pics of an installed unit?

PS, I see pics

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Never mind, found the video. This is verrrry interesting! Sub'd for updates.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Ordered mine this morning, it's a nice looking unit.

Here's an install video Kayhan posted, skip towards the end if you wanna see it in action -

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Some of the G8 Designs kit. Mostly the marks on the trim.

There's a scratch here that is pretty much invisible under indirect lighting.

Visible under direct light.

I'd reach out to Steve on Facebook about a replacement for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OMG this looks A M A Z I N G!

I just bought a car with a G8 designs kit and an aftermarket radio. The trim seems flimsy. Not really a fan of the folcik either. Contemplating going back to stock but I also want bluetooth. This checks all the boxes as to what I'm looking for. Fit and finish looks great. Also like that they retained the physical push button for the hazard lights.

How long did it take to arrive from AU? I think this is gonna be on my tax return goodie list!

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
OMG this looks A M A Z I N G!

I just bought a car with a G8 designs kit and an aftermarket radio. The trim seems flimsy. Not really a fan of the folcik either. Contemplating going back to stock but I also want bluetooth. This checks all the boxes as to what I'm looking for. Fit and finish looks great. Also like that they retained the physical push button for the hazard lights.

How long did it take to arrive from AU? I think this is gonna be on my tax return goodie list!

The initial run of orders took about a week to get here from what I've been seeing, they released this on Dec 20th, people were getting them in the states on Christmas eve.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The initial run of orders took about a week to get here from what I've been seeing, they released this on Dec 20th, people were getting them in the states on Christmas eve.
Outstanding.

I have some other more pressing issues to take care of right now but, I definitely want/need this piece.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine took a few days to arrive, VIA DHL, signature required.

I do wish the Kayhan had wireless Android Auto. The Pioneer option that I'm also sitting on has it. Been searching high and low for a wireless dongle. No luck so far.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts

I do wish the Kayhan had wireless Android Auto. The Pioneer option that I'm also sitting on has it. Been searching high and low for a wireless dongle. No luck so far.

That would be nice, I'm gonna plug my phone dock right into the dongle for now, my only concern will be charging speed, on the other hand it shouldn't be bad if the phone has it's screen off.

For the wireless, it uses wifi, gotta wonder if it's just a matter of needing an app that can support it.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Does it really need Android auto if it supports screen mirroring?
As long as it does Bluetooth audio streaming I'm happy. I'll probably never use any of the other features other than the hvac controls.

Kinda wish they had a model for the dual zone climate that had the physical knobs... But the only product on their site that does says its for single zone only. 😕

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the install vid, he talks shortly about an HVAC add-on that sits in the cupholder. It's got physical controls.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In the install vid, he talks shortly about an HVAC add-on that sits in the cupholder. It's got physical controls.
I know. I'm not giving up my cupholder for that though. Plus it doesn't look right with the rest of the car. I meant knobs in the oem location. They have a HU that does that but it's not for dual zone cars.

I can live with the touch screen vs using the external controller.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Does it really need Android auto if it supports screen mirroring?
As long as it does Bluetooth audio streaming I'm happy. I'll probably never use any of the other features other than the hvac controls.

Kinda wish they had a model for the dual zone climate that had the physical knobs... But the only product on their site that does says its for single zone only. 😕

No, I just like you can run all the apps off the radio's display vs needing to play with the phone too. I picked up the dongle on aliexpress for $42 bucks vs the $105 they are asking for it so it wasn't too bad an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'm curious if the display can be changed to show different things, like maybe gauges? Don't need a second speedo and tach. Maybe a performance data app that won't have to be plugged into the OBD port.
Is satellite radio over there the same as our XM? If so could we plug the existing XM box into the unit?

Full of questions, ain't I?

1 - 20 of 715 Posts
About this Discussion
714 Replies
46 Participants
BronxxBombers213
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing