Pontiac G8 Forum banner

481 - 500 of 721 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I contacted the guy about the whine. I also asked him about the little power button at the top left of the screen which seems to do nothing! I would like to be able to switch the unit completely off.
Told me he will get with the gurus and get back to me.
Colin

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Along the top, left to right:

Night mode (turns off screen, rest stays active), Daytime 3 step dimmer (does not do any function if headlights are on, seems backward to me), Temp readout, Mute button (looks like a power button, right in the middle), Wifi and bluetooth indicators, Time, Recent apps button.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
I had Waze installed locally on mine and it caused some hanging issues with it. For Waze to work right you'd need to hot spot to your phone also when running it locally on the unit. I run it via the Android Auto dongle on my phone and it's displayed on the radio.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I had Waze installed locally on mine and it caused some hanging issues with it. For Waze to work right you'd need to hot spot to your phone also when running it locally on the unit. I run it via the Android Auto dongle on my phone and it's displayed on the radio.
wouldn't it just be easier to utilize carplay?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
wouldn't it just be easier to utilize carplay?
I'm using Android Auto, same difference. I was just pointing out I don't suggest installing Waze directly on the radio unless you plan to have an active Internet connection to it.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Has anybody been able to get spoken street names from the Igo navigation?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Yes. Mine seems to work as expected.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Yes. Mine seems to work as expected.
Out of the two units I have, neither of them do it. It will say “turn left take next right” ext ext but it won’t actually say street names. It will just list the street name at the top of the screen but doesn’t verbally speak it.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I'll have to test again. I think there is a setting for speaking street names.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Am I assuming correctly that the pink wire labeled camera is power? In the install video they used the brown wire labeled back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, how is the Bluetooth quality?

I've read a bunch of people complaining on the FB groups. I was excited about this unit but with all the glitches being talked about here, plus potentially poor quality BT streaming, I'm kinda turned off honestly. Seems like it works best when plugged in and using android auto or apple car play. Which in 2019 I don't want to be plugging my phone in to anything.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
So, how is the Bluetooth quality?

I've read a bunch of people complaining on the FB groups. I was excited about this unit but with all the glitches being talked about here, plus potentially poor quality BT streaming, I'm kinda turned off honestly. Seems like it works best when plugged in and using android auto or apple car play. Which in 2019 I don't want to be plugging my phone in to anything.

In my case it sounds like it's just overcompressed when using BlueTooth (though I haven't checked to see if the latest updates improved anything.)

I plug my phone in to use the Android Auto set up.. saves me needing to hot spot my phone every time I get in the car so Waze would work right on the radio. I would have it plugged in to charge anyway so it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my case it sounds like it's just overcompressed when using BlueTooth (though I haven't checked to see if the latest updates improved anything.)
Yeah that's what I heard. That it uses bluetooth 1.0 or something. Not sure that's fixable with software I think it's a limitation of the hardware.

Doing research it seems like these things are mass produced China units that are available for many different cars. Low on RAM and processing power. I've been reading, at least on certain models, that they are spoofing the Android version it runs as well. IE: It says it's current but it's not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went IQ.

Prefer the oem look and all I really want is bluetooth streaming.

My car came with a G8 designs kit but it's getting removed. Just doesn't look right in the car. And the folcik is not that great either.

If you wait a little longer the Aerpro dual hvac unit will be available. The single is out now I think.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
As far as ram/cpu goes, the unit reacts fine for me. I understand it's not going to be instantaneous when I open the Nav or whatever, but my expectations are met.

I'm good with the bluetooth streaming. It's as good or better than the aux-in dongle I had been using with the stock radio. My biggest bluetooth problem is with my Samsung Note 9. Any time I connect, the volume setting on the phone has dropped. So I have to either crank the radio or turn it up on the phone, for which Samsung has a really annoying volume nanny with a loud noise warning you have to clear before it'll go above 75% or so.

481 - 500 of 721 Posts