·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Subscribed as well

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pony is right.
Why!? its not like your running any more lights when someone is coming at you unless you are a dick and dont turn off your high beams... We have done it on GTO's, and plenty of F-bodies and nobody has had any trouble with the law....

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
It's legal at car shows.
There's been some people here who have installed colored light strips into the vents of the hood scoops.

I think anyone who is doing something like this should research their local laws before operating their car on the roadways.

·
TeRm1n8D
846 Posts
It's legal at car shows.
There's been some people here who have installed colored light strips into the vents of the hood scoops.

I think anyone who is doing something like this should research their local laws before operating their car on the roadways.
Hey there. Don't mean to thread jack but anyone have a DIY on the colored light strips in the nostrils? Seen this on a GTO at the track and its mean.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not a hard mod... did this to my last car. You just need to add in a relay that sends 12V to the fogs when the highs are on. Only downside is, the fogs will always turn on with the high beams. SO if you had the fogs turned off and turn on the high beams, the fogs will turn on with them. That could be fixed with adding another switch on the added relay but I don't think its really that big of an issue.

I added 2 relays on my last car so my highs lows and fogs would all come on with my high beams. It was definitely a great addition for country driving, plus it is better for the ballasts on the low beams because they are not getting switched on and off each time.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You mean the same ones that blind me when they forget to switch them back to low beam... right!!! Wearing glasses doesn't help either....:rant:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know when I have traffic coming at me I turn mine off. If I do forget, the oncoming car will generally flash me as a reminder.

This is something lots of folks have also done on the Grand Prix's as well.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Hey there. Don't mean to thread jack but anyone have a DIY on the colored light strips in the nostrils? Seen this on a GTO at the track and its mean.
I'm not sure if a DIY was done.

Off the top of my head members:
schwartz
paramount
scorpious
firemate

have done this.

You can search some of their posts or keywords "vent lights" and I'm sure you'll get some results.
Matter of fact, I think there is a video or two floating around.
If you don't find what you need you might want to start your own thread.
I'm sure people will help you out with getting this done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
First I would like to apologize for getting anyones hopes up with this, upon looking further the relay that is "maimed" on the GTO's is the "Fog Cancellation Relay" which does not exist on the G8's, explaining why the same procedure can not be done. After puting some thought in to it I did come up with an idea, it would require a "Guinea pig" and some extra imput from other members to see if its viable, worst case scenario go to Advanced Auto Parts and get a replacement relay for $8. So heres the idea, take the fog relay out and find where it is receiving its 12V, maim that connection and create a "makeshift" jumper with some wire to pull the 12V from the low beam relay, meaning that anytime your lowbeams come on, so do your fogs, and their will no longer be a separate switch, but in my mind this seems to be the only way for it to work. Now I don't claim that this will work or is even a viable solution, so please chime in.

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Most states only allow up to 4 projecting lights to be on at once hence why the fogs turn off when you hit the high beams.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
very interested in this if you guys do find some way to make it work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,

For what its worth, this mod is pretty simple using a diode. In your BCM under the steering wheel, find the black X4 connector. Its easier if you unplug it but you are looking for pin #11 and #16. 11 is the fog lamp relay control and is a dark green/white wire. #16 is the high beam relay control and is brown/yellow. Take the diode and "jump" the current from those two pins making sure the diode stripe is towards pin #16. This is the only easy way to make the fogs work with high beams that I know of but it can be tricky to get your diode to stay in place and make contact.

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
24 Participants
jaymiles007
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing