Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7538&postcount=14
DIRT is the enemy!
Swirls in any finish come from rubbing dirt into the topcoat. The swirls you see are not in teh black color coat, but are in the clear coat topcoat. The clear coat is no different on a black car than a white car but black will show it more, as you observe daily. All dark colors are difficult to keep swirl-free. My practice has been to first of all avoid wax, and use a polish instead. NuFinish is okay, but my fave of all time has been around quite a long time. AstroShield. You won't find it everywhere, but if you ask ata areputable auto parts store they should be able top get it for you. Now as to application, forget any rags, remove rings and use your bare hands to apply - very sparingly. It will soften your hands at the same time - honest. Then when dry (do the whole car at once, it does not get too hard to wipe) use a micofiber towel in a straightline fashion, parallel to te hlength of teh car, finish off with a little light circular motion but avoid it if you can. You can let it set and apply a second coat or top with a wax but I think you will be amazed at how it performs, even to the extent it will dissolve and clean tar as you go.

But if you have swirls, there are specific swirl removers, Mothers' has one, and follow the steps as outlined on the bottle, ususally you will be applying up to 3 formulations, each one finer than the next.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I own a black vehicle now as well as a black bike.

Best thing I have found to date is Meguiar's Scratch X and Tech Wax and a 100% cotton rag. I also do everything in straight lines and stop only at the end of the body panel. Washing and waxing... I also clay my vehicle at least once a year!

Other good brands are Griot's and Wolfgang.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i would add that if using a mit use a 100% usa made cotton rag/mit. the us standards dont add any plastics in them. also, when drying a vehicle/bike... use a leafblower. works great as long as you dont have really hard water that your washing with. in that case, invest in some water softner ;)

chrish

p.s. great products that i swear by (zaino) and (meguires professional series products) not just the average joe products, go to their site and get prof grade products

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
also, when drying a vehicle/bike... use a leafblower.
Just make sure it's not like mine with the exhaust running through the blower for sound level reasons... I use my vacuum in reverse on my bikes and it does a great job. Believe it or not I use a California duster brand squeegee on my black vehicle with no issues... :nuts: It's designed not to scratch and have to say it works amazingly well...

Check out THIS place for great car care stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Believe it or not I use a California duster brand squeegee on my black vehicle with no issues... :nuts: It's designed not to scratch and have to say it works amazingly well....
i would have to agree 100% with you, california dusters and the squeegee/blade works amazing with no scratches coming from them in my experience either. and your right about the blower, make sure its not using the exhaust as the blowing portion. good catch!

chrish

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts
Another good alternative to a leafblower is an air compressor with the airgun sprayer thingy attachement. It's what I use around the sideview mirros, door handles, bumper insert head/taillights, etc... when I'm doing the final detail on my car. Also the GTO's have a honeycomb rear bumper insert that is a PITA to get the water out of and it looks like the G8 will have something similar, the airhose works wonders on this.

As far as initial drying I've been using a California blade with good results and then finish it off with a large Microfiber towel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts