Pontiac G8 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Button pads very available

I just ordered 2 replacement button pads from Chevy Dealer in Memphis TN for $8.60 each. Pace had them for $5.98 ea but shipping added $15, so I'll pick them up at my local dealer. He said there were plenty of these parts available from his source.

Thanks for this thread - I actually read the whole thing and picked out the correct part number and instructions - great help - thank you. :driving:

·
Registered
289 Posts
FOB restored

I just did mine, it was really easy and the remote looks sooo much better now.

FYI, the cheapest option I found was this ebay listing for $11.90 and free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200740708045?item=200740708045&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
I bought the eBay part and replaced mine as well. Very simple (once you get the FOB to separate) and fairly inexpensive. It's a lot of money for what you actually get but definitely cheaper than a new FOB and I didn't have to leave my house. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Follow up on Chevy dealer ordered buttons

Picked up new button covers today and installed - no problem thanks to the detailed fob opening instructions - thanks again. Note I added one technique to the original instructions:

"while you are cafully prying the key from the fob (per instructions) I had good luck pinning the key in my vice first so that I could use the screw driver pry device and gently pull up on the fob with my other hand at the same time. The vice becomes a third hand and the procedure goes more smoothly."

Also, I'm still reading flip key threads as the close and open "lock" button no longer works on my flip key (with new flex-buttons). Spring seems weak and doesn't click into open or close position. I tried prying a little but seemed as though I'd make it worse. The case was a little sloppy around the key, so I glued the edge of the case in the loose corner and the key is "serviceable" but not flipping and not quite right. The unit works as a back up but I'd like to get it fixed short of buying a new flip key end and cutting and coding, etc. Update. seems I need to explore removing the emblem and tightening the screws. Maybe this will help.

Most threads on this are from much earlier and the solution is "warrenttee covers new switch keys" but no warrenttee now. Anyone know a thread or have knowlege of fixing a flip key?

Thanks

new to me 2008 G8 GT, ~81K and still looking real good

·
Registered
26 Posts
SO, those of you that have already replaced your rubber button pads, did you have any issue with the pads staying on the fob after the change out? I have one apart on my desk and it appears that there was no adhesive in it, to ensure the rubber stays on the fob. I have new rubber pads coming from the dealer.

The dealer's parts page only lists the whole transmitter assembly or the whole key section if you were to look it up from that angle. If you have a part number, then they find what is really needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had no issues with my pads staying on after the change out. It worked like a charm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Picked up new button covers today and installed - no problem thanks to the detailed fob opening instructions - thanks again. Note I added one technique to the original instructions:

"while you are cafully prying the key from the fob (per instructions) I had good luck pinning the key in my vice first so that I could use the screw driver pry device and gently pull up on the fob with my other hand at the same time. The vice becomes a third hand and the procedure goes more smoothly."

Also, I'm still reading flip key threads as the close and open "lock" button no longer works on my flip key (with new flex-buttons). Spring seems weak and doesn't click into open or close position. I tried prying a little but seemed as though I'd make it worse. The case was a little sloppy around the key, so I glued the edge of the case in the loose corner and the key is "serviceable" but not flipping and not quite right. The unit works as a back up but I'd like to get it fixed short of buying a new flip key end and cutting and coding, etc. Update. seems I need to explore removing the emblem and tightening the screws. Maybe this will help.

Most threads on this are from much earlier and the solution is "warrenttee covers new switch keys" but no warrenttee now. Anyone know a thread or have knowlege of fixing a flip key?

Thanks

new to me 2008 G8 GT, ~81K and still looking real good
I am looking for the key instructions also.... i do know there is a screw behind the pontiac logo though.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Just picked up the rubber replacement part today in Mississauga, Ontario, shipped from Michigan. It took quite a while to get, approx. 3 weeks. Canadian prices are much higher, as usual, they wanted $22 something but I was able to get it for the shop price of $15.80 + tax CDN.

Just finished the install as per the instructions above. It looks much better now.

Thanks to Ramjet for the info, I would have never have known it could be done and for so cheap. The parts department didn't believe me when I told them it was available. They insisted I had to spend $280 for a new fob and have the service dept. code it, until I gave them the part number.
Macmaster up here in Orangeville, gave me a price of $9.95 for the rubber replacement and $170. programmed If I wanted to replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Part number as of 2015 is 92245050 and made in China. Former Pontiac dealer, now Buick GMC had it in stock. Paid $6.37 (have a wholesale account) and they can get me the whole remote flip key for $55.

·
Registered
990 Posts
92237316 this is a part # for the whole transponder without the key its under $20 you can just program it like its a new remote and you don't have to open anything just separate the key part from the remote and then clip it back in together
M30548978[1].jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are the rubber inserts for key fob still available and how many fobs should I have total

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
New the car came with a flip key (that they are taking away from those that go in for the recall), and a fixed key. So in short, 2.

As far as availability, call your Chevy dealer, Pace Performance, or check eBay. The dealer was pretty inexpensive, and they were able to get them in quickly.

Take care.

·
The Mustang dude
1,330 Posts
If they are taking my flip key for the recall, I will gladly give that played out piece of $hit to them in a ziploc bag if I can find all the pieces....

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I just replaced the rubber keypads on three of my keys and it went real well. This is an easy fix.

Many thanks to RamJet for the excellent instructions and pictures!

I did one key at a time and tested it before I started the next key. Be sure to test the red button as well as the other buttons. I didn't get one of the keys snapped-back together exactly right. So the red button didn't work although the other buttons did. I had to take the key apart and re-snap it in order to fix the red button.

I saved one of the old worn-out keypads and also one of the plastic bags that the new pads came in. That way I can show the guy at the parts counter exactly what I want if these new pads ever wear out.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Dealer charged me $180 for new key and programming ;(

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I ended up getting this for 7.55 shipped.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 181 Posts