Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my gt the guy only had one switch blade key or what ever you call it. The spring was broke and the case was cracked.

I called the dealership and they wanted right at 130 just for the fob and another 100 to program it.

I found a case kit on ebay for 12.00 and a complete fob with transmitter, transponder, and key blank for 25.00.

Got a local locksmith to cut the blank for 20.00 and found instructions for programming the key online. I really can't believe the stealership wanted 100.00 to program the key.

They did not come with the pontiac logo 3d stickers. I could not find any online so I bought some Holden racing ones to go back on the key fobs.

So for less than 60.00 I fixed my broken key fob and got a new one. Just thought I would throw it out there in case someone needed it.

Now wait on those stickers to get here from who knows where. Lol

Attachments

·
Vendor
400 Posts
Pretty awesome info. Post the link to how to program them. People could really use that info.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
The price of the whole unit in the eBay link is about $10 cheaper than one recently mentioned on Amazon. Either way, it's relatively inexpensive and easy way to add, replace, or renew a switchblade keyfob.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you need both of those items or just the fob with transmitter? I have a non-flip key I want to make into a flip key because it is so long and annoying. I'm assuming I could probably just do it with the parts fob but I'd have to take the internals from my straight key. I saw another thread about this and the guy had to sand some area to get to a chip or something. I don't really want to do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My original flip key fob was cracked. I tried a few different ways to get the transponder out. I ended up just sanding it out.

If you buy the 29 dollar one it comes with a transponder. With out modifying your key I dont see away to make it work on the flip fob. I have seen a video on YouTube where a guy modified his key to work with the flip key fob. I'll try to find it. I didnt watch the whole video so I do not know how successful he was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yes you could do it with the parts fob. Swap all internals and have the key cut to your old key.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is it cheaper to buy the whole flip key cut it and program it or to buy all the separate parts and make one. I have 1 flip key but would like a spare.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Is it cheaper to buy the whole flip key cut it and program it or to buy all the separate parts and make one. I have 1 flip key but would like a spare.
It appears purchasing the whole unit and having the new key cut and programmed by a locksmith is the most expensive option. However, it also seems to be easier, less personal effort required choice and would much rather go that route versus converting a fixed key to a switchblade key. Estimate the pricing difference to be between $40-60 contingent primarily on the locksmith's key-cutting fee.

·
Mac10 and Cheese
31 Posts
lol I just started making a rough tutorial on taking apart the key fob and transferring old parts to new one. Might still be useful so ill finish it if I can get the transponder out without destroying it. Only other thing I couldn't figure out was how to remove the emblem on the back of the fob without destroying it. I know there is a little hole on the inside, but its damn near microscopic. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts