1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Seems to be more of a conundrum than a puzzle. At any rate, what happened to the keyfob being used to operate the vehicle? If lost, assume a spare key is not readily available? Any tow truck company that needs to break in a car to tow it anywhere should be avoided by any means necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
At any rate, what happened to the keyfob being used to operate the vehicle?
All the keys/fobs were stolen. The new cuts were from the dealership leftover from the recall. They were ordered for my VIN but I'm starting to think they weren't cut properly. Ordered new fobs and they arrive tomorrow. Just trying to troubleshoot and figure out if a key without a fob can unlock the driver side door.

Edit...the key goes into the tumbler but just spins

Edit...seems to be a bad cut
https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/244561-drivers-door-lock-cylinder.html

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Yes. A properly matrix cut key will open the driver's side door in the absence of a keyfob.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've had CAA, in your case AAA, open my car door with a Slim Jim tool when I've accidentally, read....stupidly, locked the keys in the car.
....IF....G8's have the right lock linkage in the doors that the Slim Jim can snare.
The more informed on this board may the correct answer to that question.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
You know for sure that the cars battery is working as it should ? I say this because the key turns the tumbler, and a link arm attached to it causes a switching action within the door latch. The BCM recognizes this action, and energizes the relays to either lock or unlock the door or doors as desired. From memory however, I seem to remember that when I tried this a couple of years ago, there was a pronounced heavy feel when rotating it.

I also remember reading in the service manual (course I can't find that info now) that if the key just spins, it said to rotate the key lock 180 degrees an try again.

Checking some more >>>>> I found that information from above ^^^^ on page 2-8 of the owners manual. You could give it a try following the procedure stated under the heading of "Manual Door Locks". Unless its to late an you had the car towed in to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I ended up having it towed...The battery is brand new and I messed with the tumbler enough lol.

Checking some more >>>>> I found that information from above ^^^^ on page 2-8 of the owners manual. You could give it a try following the procedure stated under the heading of "Manual Door Locks". Unless its to late an you had the car towed in to the dealer.
And thanks for the response Gopher. I referenced one of your older replies and found this info in another thread but really appreciate it. I'll leave the blurb for any future lurkers:

The door lock cylinder turns freely when either the wrong key is used, or the correct key is not fully inserted. The free turning door lock feature prevents the lock from being forced open. To reset the lock, turn it to the vertical position with the correct key fully inserted. Remove the key and insert it again. If this does not reset the lock, turn the key half-way around in the cylinder and repeat the reset procedure.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Note that the keys need to be cut for the lock cylinder that is in the door *now*, not the lock cylinder that the factory installed. You'll wind up in this trouble if some cheapskate had the ignition lock cylinder replaced, but didn't bother to change the door lock cylinder to match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts