Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Since you all have given us so much support over the years with out TT kits, I figured we should return the favor and help support the community by sharing some info.

As the title states, keys stuck in the ign on the Autos and won't release. I did some searching, and found everything from ripping out the lock mechanism on the column, to Youtube videos replacing the whole shifter assembly, or the most common one on here was replacing the relay R8? Which is interesting, because when I look up the wiring diagram for this circuit, there is no relay in it; and if the relay is before this circuit I would assume that it would be killing off other things as well (like the sun roof as some pointed out with the fuse).

We tore into the shifter to trace the circuit and find the fault, and what we found was the pin on the shifter that contacts the micro switch had slid towards the passenger side, so it wasn't making contact with the switch....at least not all the time. Sometimes it would contact the micro switch arm, but other times the arm would pop, and spring around the side of the switch. Just push the pin back towards the driver side and you're good. Stupid simple, and FREE!!!

I searched when we first encountered this issue, and as I said I came up with a multitude of things it "could" be, but with as simple as this is, just a pin sliding, and as common as the problem seems to be, I would have to assume that more people were actually encountering this problem, but with it's intermittentness they assumed it was fixed when it started working with other solutions.

Unfortunately I didn't see one single user's post (HoLLo) at the very end of a thread which actually outlined this very thing until after we already went through all the trouble. But since he's already got pics uploaded and hosted, I'll just paste his over here. (So credit for this thread to HoLLo). But this should really be a sticky in the DIY section as it seems to be an issue with Pontiacs in general..

CK

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old thread but having the same problem with the pin. If it happens at the wrong time and place, can't get key out and have to disconnect battery to prevent dying until we can take apart shifter. Any permanent solution to this? If I pull the pin out and try to expand for tighter fit, will I get it back in? Hole in shifter worn out? Has happened twice now in about 8 months.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I've never examined that area, an the pic isn't showing me anything helpful either. Any chance you can add a little high strength epoxy (in an around ) that pin location after its brought back into its correct position ? If not, I think you have proven that the shift-er assembly has seen its day. You could buy a new shift-er assembly for about $88 an up from several GM sources. P/N 92204637

·
Registered
62 Posts
The odd time this has happened to me, i simply restart the car,shift from park to drive and back, shut it off, and the key comes out.
Is that a common fix, as it only happens very rarely?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
^^^^^^ Not to me ! If the circuit is working normally, *every-time* you move that shifter to the park position (running or not), that key will rotate to the off/lock position. *If* you have to cycle the shifter to get that park position switch to engage, something is starting to fail at that switch location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
Yea I am seriously thinking of using a drop of "super glue" just to prevent movement. Right now it is back to normal.
Another interesting note, since this is a auto/manual shifter, moving to manual requires pushing over to the passenger side, (the direction the pin creeps), so over time this action helps the pin move over. I figure if we just stay in automatic position, movement is just backward and forward and it would take longer for pin to creep over. Just a strange/cheap way to build the shifter. Mechanic at a dealership said it was built like a toy. All cheap plastic. But I am not talking monetarily cheap!!!!! Just aggravating. Especially having the car re-learn it's idle after taking battery loose!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts