Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas first time posting on here but I’m having some issues with my G8 in which the key is stuck in the ignition. Figured this could be the place to help figure it out before I take her into a dealer/shop.

Just bought the car a month ago and not entirely familiar with it yet.

Then being said to cover a few solutions I have already read about, I’ve tried what seems like almost everything. I know for a fact it’s not my car battery nor do I have any bad fuses as I’ve removed, and flipped them and well my key is still stuck. I’ve cranked on the steering wheel, shot a little WD-40 in there, and still won’t do the trick.

S.O.S

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
Do this>>>>> With the cars battery hooked up (an in good condition), the radio off, the HVAC off (for noise elimination), the shift lever in the "park" position, along with your key stuck in the #1 position (auxiliary power position), press the shift lever button. It should/must only depress half way in each time you do that. Each time you press it, the solenoid located at the ignition cylinder "must" thunk (indicating that it is working). Also, instead of pressing the shift lever button, press an release the brake pedal over an over. Each time you do that, you "must" hear the shift lever park position solenoid thunk. Verify "IF" your outside rear view mirrors are powered up. They must work at this time also. If all of these things fail to operate correctly, it reads like your R8 accessory relay has crapped oy on you. Its located in your I/P fuse box in the left side kick panel. You could verify its status by switching it with a matching relay in that panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do this>>>>> With the cars battery hooked up (an in good condition), the radio off, the HVAC off (for noise elimination), the shift lever in the "park" position, along with your key stuck in the #1 position (auxiliary power position), press the shift lever button. It should/must only depress half way in each time you do that. Each time you press it, the solenoid located at the ignition cylinder "must" thunk (indicating that it is working). Also, instead of pressing the shift lever button, press an release the brake pedal over an over. Each time you do that, you "must" hear the shift lever park position solenoid thunk. Verify "IF" your outside rear view mirrors are powered up. They must work at this time also. If all of these things fail to operate correctly, it reads like your R8 accessory relay has crapped oy on you. Its located in your I/P fuse box in the left side kick panel. You could verify its status by switching it with a matching relay in that panel.
So I gave this a shot last night, I don’t believe it was the R8 Accessory relay because I had power to my mirrors and sunroof. Also when pumping the break I did feel a click/ thunk in the shift lever. But still no success. I believe my fuses are all good, and I’ve even tried switching them, might be something in the steering column ??

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
If you can never hear that ignition cylinder solenoid thunk each time you press the shift lever button, it may be due to the solenoids pin being jammed in the extended position.There were a couple of members that had that problem. They had to open up the steering column trim to gain access to it. I remember one guy decided to yank that pin out of there, to permanently eliminate that problem of a stuck key. Course that defeated the safety function it provided.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can never hear that ignition cylinder solenoid thunk each time you press the shift lever button, it may be due to the solenoids pin being jammed in the extended position.There were a couple of members that had that problem. They had to open up the steering column trim to gain access to it. I remember one guy decided to yank that pin out of there, to permanently eliminate that problem of a stuck key. Course that defeated the safety function it provided.
Any chance, you have pictures or videos of this or can point me into the direction of where I can find one ?

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
I don't have any way to help you in that pic department. But there were some pics from a member that I remember seeing when the previous web format was in play. They might still be buried in this format somewhere, but how to find it is the problem. The part that I call the ignition key lockout solenoid, seems to be called the steering lock solenoid looking at various sites. The P/N is 92184178 an can be had for about $55 from CARID + shipping. There are a lot of sellers of this ACDelco part, including Amazon, Rock Auto etc. in an around that price range. At least the pictures from these various vendors can give you an idea of what you would be looking for once the lower steering column trim is out of the way.

It probably would be nice to know if the park position switch under the the shift lever is working correctly. If it broke down, you have "no" chance of getting that ignition solenoid to activate an pull its locking pin out of the way to allow the key to rotate to the off/lock position for removal.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts