Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you stripped off the chrome on the outer trim and paint it? I brought a used set to my body shop and told them I wanted to paint the trim satin black and they told me they have no good way to do it. I was kind of surprised since I know many people have done this and they seemed to have no clue. So I guess my question is did a shop do this for you or did you strip the chrome yourself and then have them painted?

·
Registered
197 Posts
This isn't an answer but is wrapping them out of the question? Before I pulled most of my wrap off, it seemed to adhere just fine, and that was on a car that lived outside 100% of the year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about wrapping, I just want it to last and not worry about peeling or chipping.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Now car is dirty from coming back from inlaws on high and its freezing in Alabama. So she's in need of a bath. Grills and hood scoops where done over 5 years ago. I did them with 3m air lock or something like that. I had to 2 piece the scoops. If I had a third hand could of done grill with one unit piece. It's a strip that was run around the whole thing. Put seam in corner. Stuff holds up well for its age.
Lot of guys used plasty dip years back. I did the vinyl cause it matched the hood better

Attachments

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
482 Posts
I thought about wrapping, I just want it to last and not worry about peeling or chipping.
That is exactly the point of vinyl. Paint peels and chips, vinyl does not (plus it can be undone). Wrap it and forget! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts