Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 84k miles on my GT & upgraded to H&R springs years ago, but kept the stock struts/shocks. While the H&Rs were an excellent approvement over the stock springs, my strut mounts & stock struts/shocks were overdue for an upgrade.

After researching countless threads, I purchased King Springs (380mm front / 395mm rear) & Monroe GT Sport dampers from JHP & added Whiteline poly strut mounts with bearings.

http://www.jhpss.com/Pontiac-G8/G8SuspensionKits.htm

Since my car is a daily driver, coilovers would be overkill for me. I wanted something simple & dependable. And I like that the body of the Monroe GT Sport dampers is shorter than the stockers allowing for more spring travel on a lowered spring.

After the install, the response and reduction in body roll was amazing. With the BMR Sway bars, the G8 corners like it's on rails now.

I need to remeasure since last week, but after a few days I was sitting at 381mm on front.

Install Pics

After Pics

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Still one of my favorite G8's, Boss Hogg! Lookin good as usual.

Sounds like there's another suspension combination to consider.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Interesting choice. Car still looks great!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice review, I'm pretty happy with my Monroe/Eibach set-up!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like the king springs and the options they have, the ability to pick your heights and options for HD springs

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments, Blitz & 2lazy.

I measured the front and rear again last night. The front has dropped to 380mm and the rear is at 365mm.

I know it's difficult to decide on which spring/damper package is best without a real world test of multiple G8s with the different options, but I can tell you that this package works really well. After 10 days of driving, I'm very satisfied with this product.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That is the exact same set I have...........Love them. Your car looks great Boss Hogg!

·
Registered
874 Posts
That is just a beautiful set-up. When it's time to replace my Monroe's and Eibach's (going on it's 4th year), I think I will pick up your set up with the King springs and the Monroe's again.

·
out front & pulling away
207 Posts
I currently have 84k miles on my GT & upgraded to H&R springs years ago, but kept the stock struts/shocks. While the H&Rs were an excellent approvement over the stock springs, my strut mounts & stock struts/shocks were overdue for an upgrade.

After researching countless threads, I purchased King Springs (380mm front / 395mm rear) & Monroe GT Sport dampers from JHP & added Whiteline poly strut mounts with bearings.

http://www.jhpss.com/Pontiac-G8/G8SuspensionKits.htm

Since my car is a daily driver, coilovers would be overkill for me. I wanted something simple & dependable. And I like that the body of the Monroe GT Sport dampers is shorter than the stockers allowing for more spring travel on a lowered spring.

After the install, the response and reduction in body roll was amazing. With the BMR Sway bars, the G8 corners like it's on rails now.

I need to remeasure since last week, but after a few days I was sitting at 381mm on front.

Install Pics

After Pics

Boss Hogg, car looks good. Did you have to get those camber adjustment bolts etc, to re-align car after spring/shock install? If so, where did you source them? I presume you went with the 395mm rear and 380 front to maintain the 'rake' of the car. Jhp website chart doesn't have much for any other extra info. Thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had it aligned yet. After seeing some of the G8s this weekend, I'm trying to decide if I want to go lower on the front before having an alignment performed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Boss Hogg, You didn't go with the HD springs right? I assume you didn't since there is no mention of it.

If anyone has any experience with the HD verce the reg. I'd love to here your opinion of the two. I'm pretty sure I want the reg. since this is a DD for me.

I've been planing to do the same set up for a while but I'm just waiting to get a few more miles out the stock set-up before swapping it all.

Thanks for the good feedback on the set-up. Maybe now I'll stop stressing about all the different options. Now I just need to figure out my desired spring hieghts. Does anyone have pics with King springs on 19's? Boss looks like He's running 20's. Isn't a 380 front spring and 395 rear spring basically stock?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Any updates? What's your long term driving impression of them now?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Boss Hogg in your first post did you mean you got 380/365 springs instead of 380/395? In a later post you say that the rear is sitting at 365 now. It is a very nice looking setup and I am looking at doing the same thing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
bryand, From what I understand, the 395 in the rear always ends up around 365-370. I've had several people tell me that. My real question is how does that impact the ride. If it is just a measurement issue when king provided the original numbers it doesn't bother me. However, if it really does compress 1" that will nullify the first 1" of suspension travel that is supposed to be like stock. I can't get anyone to provide that info if the spring compresses that much. I've asked jhp, and they say just to get the HD springs if that is the case.

I guess my next question would be... For those that are running 395 rears that compressed to 365, are you running a full size spare in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Apologize if this was posted elsewhere but would like to bump this for feedback and follow up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.