Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my parts from g8only fit pretty cheap (I think) and began to install today. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to take the factory stuff off and install the hesders. At that point I figured I'm home free... after another 30 minutes of messing with the connection pipes and x pipe I decided to stop. I had friends coming over and needed to drink. Now, I only have 15 years experience working on cars and I am working under jackstands so I know it's not ideal but, is it necessary that the slip fit connection between the x pipe and connection pipes is .00000001 mm? I made that up. My point is, why is it so tight? ****- it's supposed to slip in and then be able to move around so I can fit it to all the pieces and then tighten it down. I have to give all my strength to try and "slip" the connector pipe into the x pipe and then I can't maneuver it to get on the header. Needless to say it's fun. Hopefully I'll get it on this week. Other than that the parts look great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about renting one but I put a little bit of anti-seize on the pipe and they move a little. Now there is anti-seize in places I didn't know existed since that stuff gets everywhere, but that is another story.
Now the question is: which side does the longer connection pipe go on and which side should the longer outlet pipe on the x pipe go? This is an off road kit, no cats. I have tried multiple ways and can't get it to line up that great. If I put the short pipe on the driver side it looks good but pulls out of the x pipe when I tighten the flange to the header. If I put the long pipe on the driver side it hits the hanger and binds up and the x pipe hangs really low.
I know I am working on jack stands which complicates things but I fancy myself a decent mechanic and can't for the life of mud figure out why this install is such a bia. Especially considering the cost. Had I known kooks sells a 32 piece x pipe kit I would have went a different route

Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts