Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'd Rather Be Shifting
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chose to do a budget AFM delete using a take out LS3 cam from a 5G Camaro. Total cost was $600 which included fluids; I used all GM parts (gaskets, bolts, etc.). My thread for that install can be found here: http://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/239642-my-dod-afm-delete-ls3-cam-any-questions.html

The car baselined 345hp/375tq back in February with Manzo tri-y headers (no cats), PowerBond pulley, VMax throttle body, Vararam, and a Domin8 tune. This was through stock midpipe and axlebacks; it had approximately 115k miles on it.

In the humidity and heat of July -- and with no changes other than the LS3 cam -- the car made 390hp/385tq with nearly 123k miles on the bottom end.

Just some food for thought if one wants to do a DOD delete on the cheap -- the LS3 cam wasn't useless in my case.

Baseline 345hp/375tq

LS3 cam 390hp/385tq

·
Registered
209 Posts
I followed your other post when you did the install and very impressive great job

·
I'd Rather Be Shifting
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll also add that while just driving around town hasn't been a drastic change - it only gained 10lbft of torque, after all - highway/top end it feels like an entirely new car (which is obvious by the graphs). For me using this as a DD putting over 60 [mostly highway] miles on it every day, it's made it so much more enjoyable. That extra 200rpm in the peak is definitely noticeable, too - it just keeps pulling.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I'am glad to see everything turned out good for you. Your budget build is what made up my mind. I just got my LS3 cam in the mail the other day for mine. Plus all the part numbers that you posted whats not like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Headers will make that peak gain even more. I put down similar numbers but on a cortex tune with the same setup plus mids/catback

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome results, I've been giving this exact swap some thought as I want to get a proper dod delete done without going wild cam. ATM, I've just got her switched off with a tune.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quick question about the headers, did you use the factory bolts to bolt the headers on the head?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great results..any track time planned?

·
I'd Rather Be Shifting
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick question about the headers, did you use the factory bolts to bolt the headers on the head?
I used the stock bolts. I had studs on after I did the initial header install, but there isn't enough room to take advantage of their use, IMO, when compared to 4th gens.

Great results..any track time planned?
I was hoping to this week, but won't have any time. At this point I'm thinking September/October considering we'll be heading into some of the best weather for the strip.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It was hot this weekend but I still went 2.0 60ft 8.4 @86mph 1/8th 13.03 @ 108mph

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts