Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking I want the new motor mounts as I replaced the tranny mount already. How hard would it be to do with hand tools a floor jack and bottle jack with a board on the oil pan? I did this on a lt1 formula and it wasn't fun, but I did get it done. Also does someone have the new mount part numbers? I have an extended warranty, but not sure how to get them covered.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Getting to our mounts is a little cramped. It can be done. You will however, have to disconnect the headers, not enough clearance to jack up the motor before they hit the underside of the car

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Don't know if the things posted above are necessary or not (have never done it). But, in the service manual it says to raise the car as needed to gain access under it. Remove the splash shield, and remove the lower mount nut on each mount. Lower the car ( I guess if its sitting to high to to allow access to the top mount bolts). But if its doable in the raised position, remove the top nut from each mount. Jack the engine up to a point that will clear the upper stud from its mount bracket and pull them out.
They say to monitor the clearance between the engine and firewall while jacking. Nothing is mentioned about exhaust work action, then reverse the action after placing the new mounts in place. Course this info, is if the exhaust is still stock in this area.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is stock. Nice. Does anyone think the new mounts are better than the old ones? The car is an 08 and has 77k on it. Now I need to look up the mounts and see where I can get the best prices on them. Also what is needed to remove the splash shield?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
For the splash shield, my first thought is *tools*. Actually I have not removed it either. But being plastic, I'm sure there are some plastic pull pins involved , and maybe some small bolts. Can't be hard. Make sure that the motor mounts are the latest updated versions. A replacement version (for the better) took place later in the production run. Could be some original versions available still in stock. The unwise might be the recipient of same. I would say to have the *most correct* P/N handy when ordering.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the splash shield, my first thought is *tools*. Actually I have not removed it either. But being plastic, I'm sure there are some plastic pull pins involved , and maybe some small bolts. Can't be hard. Make sure that the motor mounts are the latest updated versions. A replacement version (for the better) took place later in the production run. Could be some original versions available still in stock. The unwise might be the recipient of same. I would say to have the *most correct* P/N handy when ordering.
Thanks for the help and do you have the most current part numbers? It is hard to get correct info from dealers or gm parts direct. I am assuming they are the same on both sides.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Updated mount part # - 92227443

Had mine replaced with the new mounts under warranty a couple months ago. This was the part number off the repair order. Shows 2 of the same part so they must be the same.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updated mount part # - 92227443

Had mine replaced with the new mounts under warranty a couple months ago. This was the part number off the repair order. Shows 2 of the same part so they must be the same.
I think this is the most updated looking at another site. 92253030

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got the mounts yesterday for 143 out the door and with a bottle jack and the car lifted it took less than hour to get them done with only a floor jack. The only issue is you better have a fine tooth ratchet as you don't get much room to turn a clunky ratchet. The dual 80 snapons came in handy. Maybe I should have tried the round head 100 tooth. But seriously don't pay someone to do it when it can be done easily by yourself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is my wifes g8 we got new and it has 76k on the odo and about 5.25 years old. The stock 19" potenzas lasted us 67k and here is the mount condition. The tranny mount was replaced a couple of years ago with the buick mount and was a much nicer mount than the stock g8 tranny mount. Now the radio doesn't turn off when we open the drivers door. The car is nice, but sucks at all of the little stuff that breaks and lack of gm standing behind this small that is ruining our opinion of another gm. Also noted is that almost everything that breaks, the door locks/lifters/motor mounts and control arms(need to get this done as well) have all be revised multiple times and have new part numbers. why would gm make new parts if the older ones were fine? Because they are defective, but GM expects the customers to pay for the repairs when they had know defective parts from the factory. I just got in the new AC mount from crazy paul and that should have also been covered under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts