Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am going to take my car to the track this summer so I have been trying different launching techniques and I believe I have found one worth mentioning. The foot on the brake and slamming on the gas technique hasn't been my favorite or most effective. It seems to lag from that initial throttle jolt even with TC turned off / sport mode on etc. etc.. What I have had luck with recently is this:
Doing a slight power brake up to around 800 RPMS and launching from there (Not a full romp on the gas through the floor but a firm steady peddle smashing at about half the speed). I have found the worst inital response was with any power brake over 1,000 RPMS (1000-1200). The odd thing is my best 60 was produced with the 800 RPM launch but I was also sitting at steady 800 for a few seconds before I launched. When I went up to 800 and then launched right away it had the same lag as a 1K launch. Maybe you suck out some of the engine heat soak or something I am not sure.
I compared my 60' time on my best 1/4 mile run with my recent 60' launches and I was really surprised. The best 1/4 mile I have recorded with my Dynolicious app produced a 2.46 second 60' with .59 G max. My best recent launch was 2.33 with a .64 G max. My vehicle average 60' is 2.49. Pretty significant if you ask me. Anyways thought I'd share.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Power-braking and taking your RPMs over about 1000 will actually retard the ignition, which is why it won't launch properly from there. Your approach of an 800RPM power-brake is perfect. Also, I've found that the throttle is more responsive if you give it a steady and solid peddle, but not full WOT at least until you're out of first gear. All that seems to be inline with what you've found. I'll be getting the Trifecta tune this summer, before the drag strip time at the Nationals meet, and I'm hoping that some torque management modification will help with launching.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good input here! Thanks for sharing.

Maybe you suck out some of the engine heat soak or something I am not sure.
I'm not familiar with this app (android owner here) but if you can get IATs and engine timing stats you should be able to confirm this pretty easily.

-Dennis-

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
When i ran at the track last year,I just put on the second bulb and just gassed it snuff to tighten up the suspension. Friday notes are going to be T-T so I will play around with how much throttle i'll use.I'll keep posting to see if we can get one of us in the 14's.so well share info and see what happens.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
14's would be pretty awesome if you guys can make it there. Last I was at the track I saw a charger r/t running consistent 14.4s with mods. I'd be very impressed if you guys can get times close to that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Before the Nationals I'll have my Rotofab intake, my mid-muffler/resonator delete, and Trifecta tune. I'll probably have to wait until next year to install a GT LSD. My goal is 14.99, and I think that's pretty realistic.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Before the Nationals I'll have my Rotofab intake, my mid-muffler/resonator delete, and Trifecta tune. I'll probably have to wait until next year to install a GT LSD. My goal is 14.99, and I think that's pretty realistic.
That's my goal,fastest v-6 on here.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Between Hazer and me, you're going to have some competition. I'm pretty sure he already has intake/exhaust and the LSD to boot, so right now I wouldn't be surprised if he owns the fastest V6 G8 in the world. I want him to track it so we can see his numbers. The LSD will definitely help the rear wheels link up faster.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Sounds like somthing to shoot for.Thinking hard at luring 3.45's under her within the year.just hafta see what we can do.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Between Hazer and me, you're going to have some competition. I'm pretty sure he already has intake/exhaust and the LSD to boot, so right now I wouldn't be surprised if he owns the fastest V6 G8 in the world. I want him to track it so we can see his numbers. The LSD will definitely help the rear wheels link up faster.

Have you forgotten about me?My car seems to be hooking and launching very well right now,and im not nearly done yet.I dont think LSD will make much of a difference on the V6 IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
What you guys say we makup the Fast Four? And how about a 14 second club for v-6's?

·
Registered
426 Posts
i guess i've been forgotten about also lol
i got the gt diff in my car and notice it bites a bit more.

my 15.499 i ran last year was bone stock with 20's and my 60ft was like 2.37 or something like that i forget lol. I'm eagerly waiting to hit the track since i did my intake,tbs,solos, and gt diff, and will have a mid muff delete and xpipe installed next week. probably gonna drop some cash on the jba Camaro headers and see what can be done. if they won't work i'll just post them for sale

And Technically i have the fastest V6 as i'm the only one with a time posted on the drag times in the racing thread hahahahahaha

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
HAHA!! This is why i love the V6 crowd so much,there's not alot of us modding our cars so it makes it more interesting to see what one will do next due to the lack of MODS.I wish one day i could hook up with all you cats at the same time....and just cruuuuuise!:driving:

·
Registered
426 Posts
National meet. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

my 15.499 i ran last year was bone stock with 20's and my 60ft was like 2.37 or something like that i forget lol. I'm eagerly waiting to hit the track since i did my intake,tbs,solos, and gt diff, and will have a mid muff delete and xpipe installed next week. probably gonna drop some cash on the jba Camaro headers and see what can be done. if they won't work i'll just post them for sale

And Technically i have the fastest V6 as i'm the only one with a time posted on the drag times in the racing thread hahahahahaha
Not true I posted last year I had a 15.97. Didn't use sport shift so got lots of room for improvement. She felt like she was falling on her face the last 60feet or so.best 60 foot time 2.34 ,so im right there. Sport shift should make a big differance. Since I put the diabilo sport chip she really wakes up and pulls hard after she hits second gear. So the challange has been put Out there. Are you up for the challenge fellow 6ers? Well are YA?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

Not true I posted last year I had a 15.97. Didn't use sport shift so got lots of room for improvement. She felt like she was falling on her face the last 60feet or so.best 60 foot time 2.34 ,so im right there. Sport shift should make a big differance. Since I put the diabilo sport chip she really wakes up and pulls hard after she hits second gear. So the challange has been put Out there. Are you up for the challenge fellow 6ers? Well are YA? PUNK (DIRTY HARRY )JUST THOUGHT IT FIT IN THERE,NOTHING PERSONAL.

·
Registered
426 Posts
1 - 20 of 119 Posts