Pontiac G8 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Theres a reason we call cars girls ,the so dam tempermintal.they changed things on way of qualifying, by classes and street was next to last .didnt get to runm times till 5:30 and only TWO laps.(BS) how can you get set with only 2< but any way had to take my son to his girrrrrlfriends before qualifying ,so temp was 240 for some reason and ran a 16.17 with a 2.46- 60 ft . was a kid there with a cavaler with a hp adaptor and his lap top and said temp was 240 so did my toriqe app,tryed to kick on my fans but couldnt. Said my fuel peramiters were were way off and it was sluggish the whole way down. Second pass was a 16.01 with a 2.338 - 60 ft.Was very pi$$ed so left.what a wast of 30 bucks.Wont have many days left to go since im getting new hip june 14th, so i'll try again before i am shelved.SORRY GUY'S.Dont go by my runs last nite, should have ran way better.......

·
Registered
426 Posts
sorry to hear you only got two runs in. i'd be pretty pissed too. i know my last test n tune i got like 8 runs in. My first one starts June 3rd so i'm getting pretty pumped

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Friday s are t n t to so Mabey I can get more laps in so will try. Good luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Theres a reason we call cars girls ,the so dam tempermintal.they changed things on way of qualifying, by classes and street was next to last .didnt get to runm times till 5:30 and only TWO laps.(BS) how can you get set with only 2< but any way had to take my son to his girrrrrlfriends before qualifying ,so temp was 240 for some reason and ran a 16.17 with a 2.46- 60 ft . was a kid there with a cavaler with a hp adaptor and his lap top and said temp was 240 so did my toriqe app,tryed to kick on my fans but couldnt. Said my fuel peramiters were were way off and it was sluggish the whole way down. Second pass was a 16.01 with a 2.338 - 60 ft.Was very pi$$ed so left.what a wast of 30 bucks.Wont have many days left to go since im getting new hip june 14th, so i'll try again before i am shelved.SORRY GUY'S.Dont go by my runs last nite, should have ran way better.......
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get another chance to go. I'd be pissed as well

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
going to my local track june 1st... lets see what i get

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Hazer - Good Luck at the track! I will be going at some point this summer.

Well I installed the Chip on Saturday (Its more of a little box). I was a little apprehensive splicing into the wires but I took my time and it really wasn't that big of an issue. Once you read the instructions a few times and look in your engine bay its pretty easy and strait forward. I placed the chip on top of my intake box. I really couldn't see where else I could put it.

I didn't get a chance to drive it until last night (All testing on 89 octane it says to use premium). It was a warm night in Cleveland around 75 when I went out. Typically at that temp I cant spin the tires at all and I did during my first take off. So that is a good thing. I wasn't out long and I couldn't really even give it a good butt dyno test let alone compare with my iphone app. My general impression is its better in the RPM ranges where you rely on toque the most (2-4,000 RPM). It feels more jumpy and responsive. I cant say much about the top end under WOT. I will have to collect more data and runs with my iPhone and report back.

There is one area that I have a little more concrete evidence with testing and that is fuel economy. Let me just say that during my first commute to work this morning it more than lived up to its expectations. Taking into account two 60-80 mph runs I achieved 30.1 MPG. I reset the MPG thing before I even started accelerating onto the highway. It was also still going up before I had to get off the highway. I am pretty confident the increase in fuel economy might actually be true on the chip. I am not sold on the performance aspect of it yet but I do not believe it would be any worse.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Another morning of amazing MPG but I am not convinced of any power gains yet (Its only been 50 miles so far). It has been very humid and the conditions have been unfavorable so this may be playing into it. It is also suggested I run premium and I am only running 89 at the moment so I'll give it a couple tanks of premium and some performance testing before I say yay or nay on any performance gains. I ran my slowest 0-60 on record on my iphone app on my way home yesterday but again conditions were 80 degrees plus and humid. The time was 8.0 thats probably good for a 16 second quarter mile. Anyways I'll report more later.

At least I know the milage savings will pay for the chip regardless of the outcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If you run octane 91 you'll notice a big difference in throttle response,and this is without that chip.So dont think the chip is giving you more power if you try the higher octane fuel.I suggest removing the chip and then put the octane 91 in and get used to it,then install the chip and see if you notice a difference.I've experimented with all the fuels and octane91 is all i will use now.I'm one of those ones that doesnt care about MPG,I run for fun.A full tank cost me $80 but not my DD.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
If you run octane 91 you'll notice a big difference in throttle response,and this is without that chip.So dont think the chip is giving you more power if you try the higher octane fuel.I suggest removing the chip and then put the octane 91 in and get used to it,then install the chip and see if you notice a difference.I've experimented with all the fuels and octane91 is all i will use now.I'm one of those ones that doesnt care about MPG,I run for fun.A full tank cost me $80 but not my DD.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might just try that! I have noticed that if I change octane's especially going up in octane that it take a couple tanks in a row with the higher octane to really notice any difference. It seems like the 2nd or 3rd tank is when you feel a difference and I am on my first 89 tank so i'll just jump up to premium next. I also run for fun so a low MPG doesnt bother me at all. I'd rather have the power but if I can get the best of both worlds I'll take it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
The milage increase is still there I have been averaging 24.5 MPG with a 60/40 mix of highway and city (I got 19.5 for my 5 miles of city today) over the past couple days. It requires so much less peddle on the highway to maintain speed and given the proper fethering of the gas peddle I have gotten 34 MPG on the highway over a 3-4 mile stretch doing about 65.

Well I started to see what appeared to be performance gains this morning. It was jumpy and peppy and just felt strong in the sub 4K RPM range. I didnt get to open it up due to the rain but if it were dry i knew it would have performed better than the past few days. My concern is the top end of the RPM range. The first couple days I had it on it seemed to not be as strong up there. The main question I need answered is is it better then stock or just better since I installed it but slower than stock. I need a chance to run a couple 0-60 at the least to see some numbers.

One other thing worth mentioning is the idle. its has become stealth like quiet and smooth. If it doesnt improve my quarter time its worth keeping it on IMO just for the fuel savings. I'll just disconnect when going to the track.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
back to the title of the thread. I am looking for a way to harness the jolt of acceleration that you get from a slight roll (take your foot off the brake for a second then give it a good quick half peddle on the gas. The kind of jolt that gets me yelled at by my wife.

I just cant get that kind of jump from a power brake, mashing of the peddle or a good quick 1/2 peddle imediately off the brake. Maybe if I stage as far back as I can that 1/2 second rollout wouldnt trigger the starting clock. I just havnt figured it out yet. I got a little less than 3 weeks to figure it out. Going to the track on June 14th.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well I am starting to come to the conclusion that the Diablo Super Chip is a wonderful thing for milage but has done nothing but slow the car down. I went out and hammered on it today and got a few 0-30, a couple 0-40 and one 0-50 runs and my times are far inferior to just plain ole stock. All of these rune were done with 89 and the chip. I just put 92 in the car tonight. I will test it tomorrow but I dont think i'll even get back to stock numbers even if its a vast improvement. Below are my results

60' - .11 slower with the chip

0-10 - .04 slower with the chip
0-20 - .09 slower with the chip
0-30 - .21 slower with the chip
0-40 - .24 slower with the chip
0-50 - .70 slower with the chip (only one run though)
0-60 - 1.33 slower (One run on super hot humid day up a dlight incline) regaurdless 8.4 second is weak even if it was 120 outside.

Ill see what 92 octane does this weekend but my guess is I will be disconnecting the chip from car runtil after I run down the track.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are looking for more power and this chip doesn't seem to do it, you may want to talk to Vince at Trifecta. He was able to find much more power by being able to adjust some new parameters. The Camaros suffered the same problem with the initial tune that we did as well but they have multiple dynos of people since he tweaked the tune showing great gains. When I emailed Vince he said he believed the same would be true for the G8 too.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Well I went through all of my quarters and calculated the quarters with DA in there and it really levels out the majority of my runs. I have a couple 14.9X's out there but the rest are coming in right where they should compared to others on the board. Based on my run this morning maybe the chip doesnt suck as much with run 92 in it.

10/22 - 15.96
11/1 - 15.49
12/1 - 14.99
12/3 - 15.83
1/2 - 15.62
3/4 - 14.93
5/27 - 15.43 ** Best run and with the new chip but only run with 92 octane so maybe the octane matters. My 60' and 0-XX were good on this run compared to stock so maybe I'll be Ok with the chip. I will be running @ the track on 6/14. I am shoot for anything under 15.5

If you take out the 2 highest and lowest the average is 15.51. Seems reasonable to think I could run a 15.4 or 15.5 anything quicker doesnt seem realistic.

·
Registered
426 Posts
well my 15.499 in my bone stock G8 running 285 30 20 in the back and 245 30 20 in the front proves the "chip" does dick all perfomance wise like stated by numeroius people. I don't know why people keep compairing the 3.6 DI Camaro motor with out 3.6 VVT motor, when they're completely different
The Trifecta tune was done on a stock G8 and only increased 4hp. Now i'm thinking the gains from this tune could be greater with say Hazer's, Shwartz, knglibrty, or my car as we have all done a great number of mods that have help increase some performance. I'm not saying the tune will give are cars a ton more hp but i've been looking into getting this tune done and see vs taking a chance on headers from the camaro

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Here is my last update on the Diablo Super Chip I promise.

I have been happy with the fuel milage gains but that is about it. Performance wise it doesn't appear to do much help. In my experience it has actually hindered or held back performance. In my experience from both the butt dyno, my pocket dyno and dynolicous apps my G8 felt and reported slower with it. Since It has felt slower I removed the chip last night. I still had 92 octane gas in the tank when I removed it. On my way to work this morning I almost had to clean my pants with how much better my car performs without the Chip. In all ranges it out performs the chip. From the initial start to mid range to especially high range (4K to redline(biggest decline IMO)). On my first test this morning with my dynolicous app I pulled a 7.3 second 0-60 with 0 rollout. My best with the Chip was upper 7's and I had that 8.4. I also noticed that all of my 0-30 runs were also under 3.0 seconds without the chip this morning. Regardless of temp they would run 3.10-3.25 very consistent with the chip.

Oh yeah one other thing with the chip. Its been really hot and I think my chip may have started to melt. When I went to remove it I had a white thick liquid (Almost a melted marshmallow texture) oozing out of the bottom of the chip where the wires come out of it. Not sure that is a good thing. Anways thats all folks. I go to the Track on June 14th. I am going to Dragway 42 in West Salem Ohio. I'll report back with how I faired with my K&N drop in, snorkel and lower panel mod.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Why don't you guys throw a small nitrous shot in? Surely you'd hit the 14's.

Good luck Hazer!
I had been thinking of that, sounds like a viable option. Found kits for about about 275.00 ,not sure if dry or wet kit.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I am returning the Chip. Here is what the dude wrote back:

"Hello a new version of the chip for better performance is in the works for the G8 and we realize the G8 owners are more geared towards performance for their vehicle rather than fuel savings.You will receive a refund as soon as the returned item is received."

81 - 100 of 121 Posts