Pontiac G8 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
well i hit up the dragway just outside the city here for the first run of the year. i had a blast as always but was dissapointed at teh same time.

My best run last year was my 15.499, bone stock. tonight i was off a little
1st run 15.916 @ 77.83mph 60ft 2.26
2nd run 15.734 @ 87.52mph 60ft 2.27
3rd run 15.787 @ 88.24mph 60ft 2.30
4th run 15.656 @ 89.49mph 60ft 2.27

still not bad, but really thought with my mods i'd be quicker. Mind you track conditions
wern't the greatest as the winds were hitting 60 km/h at times

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
well i hit up the dragway just outside the city here for the first run of the year. i had a blast as always but was dissapointed at teh same time.

My best run last year was my 15.499, bone stock. tonight i was off a little
1st run 15.916 @ 77.83mph 60ft 2.26
2nd run 15.734 @ 87.52mph 60ft 2.27
3rd run 15.787 @ 88.24mph 60ft 2.30
4th run 15.656 @ 89.49mph 60ft 2.27

still not bad, but really thought with my mods i'd be quicker. Mind you track conditions
wern't the greatest as the winds were hitting 60 km/h at times
Like you said not bad. I believe I read someplace that these should run 15.6 stock so given adverse track conditions those times are fine. Its got to feel good to get the 60' dialed in. That's the one area I am still struggling with trying to get consistency. Given the overall performance of our cars I am not sure you could do much better with the 60'.

What was the DA?

I believe knglibrty and I will be hitting the track soon as well so we'll get more runs for this car. I will be going a week from this Tuesday weather permitting.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Lowcal, how much more do those 20" wheels weigh than the stockers you ran last year? Of course it probably balances out with the weight you took out in the exhaust. Just thinking...

-Dennis-

·
Registered
426 Posts
thats the thing.........my 15.4 run last year was with my staggered 20's, 245's and 285's and not with my stockers. and my car was bone stock.

thats why i'm disapointed with these times lol

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
thats the thing.........my 15.4 run last year was with my staggered 20's, 245's and 285's and not with my stockers. and my car was bone stock.

thats why i'm disapointed with these times lol
You could have been racing with an adverse DA as well. There are DA calculators out there is you are interested. If the DA was between 1500+ it would really have an adverse effect on your times too.

Were you running and Viking International Raceway / Dragway?

Below is your best run. if you had a DA of 1500 it would kill you run.

Correct your ET and MPH using the DA (Beta Testing)

Density Altitude:1500 feet above sea level

1/4 mile ET:15.656 seconds

1/4 mile trap speed:89.49 MPH

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
15.398 @ 91.02 MPH

·
Registered
426 Posts
whats a good DA converter?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
DA Calculator I mean (Density Altiture Calculator) . here is a good one. it has allot of the tracks weather data already in there but some dont have the air preasure. If this doesnt work out google it. you should be able to find others.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

·
Registered
426 Posts
so this run

really equals this according to the da converter

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
15.403 @ 90.737 MPH

my feet abouve sea level is 712

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I am returning the Chip. Here is what the dude wrote back:

"Hello a new version of the chip for better performance is in the works for the G8 and we realize the G8 owners are more geared towards performance for their vehicle rather than fuel savings.You will receive a refund as soon as the returned item is received."
Well guys the chip company emailed me this morning telling me there is a new chip for the G8. Its performance based and he said I could swap them out. I think I am going to do just that. I am out the money so I am not missing it. I go to the track on tuesday so I doubt I will get it in time but I'd probably just run it the way it is right now anyway.

"I have the new performance chip for the g8 available if you would like me to send it to you as a replacement for the one you purchased previously. I think you will be happy with the performance gains from this newly designed chip and from now on all chips for the g8 will be made this way.Let me know."

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Well Got her to the track tonight. First time ever and what a blast it was. More to follow but ran a 15.4302 @ 91.01 mph. The DA was 1725 so that would calculate to 15.13 @ 92.853 mph. My 60' time was 2.2485. This was my second run. Thought i'd run better as the night went on so went to observe after that run. Wish I would have kept at it a while. I ran her 8 times and my worse was 15.6 @ 89.78. all of the other 7 runs were 90+. I am pleased for sure but i could have done better had I kept at it while the track temps were higher. started to spin too much as the night went on. got 2.3+ 60 times.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Blast from the past (Last year). Just red through the whole thing. It was pretty entertaining. We were were all talking about hitting 14's in our 6's last spring summer and then posted our mid to high 15's as we were disapointed. I think this year we'll have better luck getting close. I'd love to see one of us hit 15.1's or 15.2's. I for one know how much more it will take to get even close. I am loosing anything that isnt attached and maybe some things that are. I got about 2 nights this season to beat my PB from last year. Need to work on that 60' time first and foremost. I would like to get it under 2.20 That by it self will get me into the 15.3's

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
lg i bought the DA app this morning,pretty cool, should come in handy this year.My 60 foot is only a few hundreths behind yours, when i get flair fixed i should be right there with you. I have noticed that when i first drive her in the morning the shifts are crisp, as it warms up the flair starts to show up............ Can't wait, you ,me vroom vroom.LOL.............

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
lg i bought the DA app this morning,pretty cool, should come in handy this year.My 60 foot is only a few hundreths behind yours, when i get flair fixed i should be right there with you. I have noticed that when i first drive her in the morning the shifts are crisp, as it warms up the flair starts to show up............ Can't wait, you ,me vroom vroom.LOL.............
Nice! Is it the one from dragtimes.com? I saw that and was thinking about picking it up. I believe it calculates the DA based on current location and is pretty strait forward and easy.

What is the time frame in which you will be in recovery? Just wondering when the show down can happen. Dragway 42 eliminated their Tuesday test and tunes and is doing Friday and Saturday TnTs this season

I think if we raced tomorrow it would be a crap shoot. You had to go up hill towards the end of your track. My 60' was one of those runs when the car just hooked just right. I had 2 or 3 that were 2.9XX and then rest betweeen 2.30- 2.32. The thing that amazes me is our 60' time are WAY better than most of the first Gen Charger R/Ts (Stock Anyways) and if you have the 3.5 V6 we toast them by .2500+. I just assumed our cars are complete dogs off of the line. I guess its not horrible for a 4000 lbs. V6 . just shows what a little rubber on the road can equate to

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Nice! Is it the one from dragtimes.com? I saw that and was thinking about picking it up. I believe it calculates the DA based on current location and is pretty strait forward and easy.

What is the time frame in which you will be in recovery? Just wondering when the show down can happen. Dragway 42 eliminated their Tuesday test and tunes and is doing Friday and Saturday TnTs this season

I think if we raced tomorrow it would be a crap shoot. You had to go up hill towards the end of your track. My 60' was one of those runs when the car just hooked just right. I had 2 or 3 that were 2.9XX and then rest betweeen 2.30- 2.32. The thing that amazes me is our 60' time are WAY better than most of the first Gen Charger R/Ts (Stock Anyways) and if you have the 3.5 V6 we toast them by .2500+. I just assumed our cars are complete dogs off of the line. I guess its not horrible for a 4000 lbs. V6 . just shows what a little rubber on the road can equate to
It is and does do current but has dragway 42 and qacker city strips listed with others in the country . Has times listed also by car to,was only 1.99 for the app,having surgery on the 21st of this month. Will be able to drive after 3 weeks, back to work in 6 weeks. We could run after the 3 weeks, only thing is that i will have to use a walker, would look like you are running a old handicap gezzer.......LOL..........

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
It is and does do current but has dragway 42 and qacker city strips listed with others in the country . Has times listed also by car to,was only 1.99 for the app,having surgery on the 21st of this month. Will be able to drive after 3 weeks, back to work in 6 weeks. We could run after the 3 weeks, only thing is that i will have to use a walker, would look like you are running a old handicap gezzer.......LOL..........
Wanna shoot for a good day in mid to late May? This way maybe we can both hit the track once and dial her in. Might still be cooler and maybe the humidity will be going down. Well never be able to get rid of it with the amount of rain we have gotten. Just hope it dries out at some point and we can get some. High pressure systems to push through.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Wanna shoot for a good day in mid to late May? This way maybe we can both hit the track once and dial her in. Might still be cooler and maybe the humidity will be going down. Well never be able to get rid of it with the amount of rain we have gotten. Just hope it dries out at some point and we can get some. High pressure systems to push through.
Sounds good, checked the HP on the app and said i have RW 220 HP.

·
Saving Gas and Goin' Slow
429 Posts
ran mine, 15.61 with a 2.3x 60 foot. bone stock, auto shifting, no reason for sport.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
ran mine, 15.61 with a 2.3x 60 foot. bone stock, auto shifting, no reason for sport.
Awesome! That 15.6 seems the be the pretty standard time for us. Four of my 8 runs last year ran between 15.6 & 15.65. If you go to the track this season we'd all be very curious to see how you do. As far as I know you are the 4th or 5th V6 to post their time (ranging from 15.43-15.6x). A few of us will be hitting the track a few times to improve on our times. I am shooting for 14.999 but 15.2 - 3's are prob more realistic. Trying to find good air is another challenge. Do you know what your DA was on your run? Good luck this year!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am going to take my car to the track this summer so I have been trying different launching techniques and I believe I have found one worth mentioning. The foot on the brake and slamming on the gas technique hasn't been my favorite or most effective. It seems to lag from that initial throttle jolt even with TC turned off / sport mode on etc. etc.. What I have had luck with recently is this:
Doing a slight power brake up to around 800 RPMS and launching from there (Not a full romp on the gas through the floor but a firm steady peddle smashing at about half the speed). I have found the worst inital response was with any power brake over 1,000 RPMS (1000-1200). The odd thing is my best 60 was produced with the 800 RPM launch but I was also sitting at steady 800 for a few seconds before I launched. When I went up to 800 and then launched right away it had the same lag as a 1K launch. Maybe you suck out some of the engine heat soak or something I am not sure.
I compared my 60' time on my best 1/4 mile run with my recent 60' launches and I was really surprised. The best 1/4 mile I have recorded with my Dynolicious app produced a 2.46 second 60' with .59 G max. My best recent launch was 2.33 with a .64 G max. My vehicle average 60' is 2.49. Pretty significant if you ask me. Anyways thought I'd share.
I just brought my 2nd g8 after I had to let my ft go due to street racing ticket years ago....lol. So I got the v6, had to put new engine in it immediately. Anyways, I got straight pipe exhaust, cold air intake, pedal booster(top of line) and a chip tuner. Anything else I can do to top this baby out?

101 - 120 of 121 Posts