Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard conflicting launch techniques...Some say for a really hard launch leave off of idle and let the converter flash and go to work, others say stall it up to the max before its starts to push through the brakes.

Anyone want to throw their two cents in?

Personally I have tried minimum stalling to say 1000-1200 and I cut 1.73-1.75 60's all day then I stall it up to 1600-1800 and was able to cut into the 1.6X's. Mine has a PI 2600 Triple Disk.

Maybe its just a matter of finding that sweet spot for each individual converter and car?!?!

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I could not get consistant results. Tried 2500rpm, 1500, and off idle. The fastest times were still off idle, but I had to "roll" into the throttle. I am also curious to see what others are doing - yank 3200ss here.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could not get consistant results. Tried 2500rpm, 1500, and off idle. The fastest times were still off idle, but I had to "roll" into the throttle. I am also curious to see what others are doing - yank 3200ss here.
What kind of short times were you getting Todd?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Subscribed

Might hit up an 1/8th mile track Saturday night to learn how to launch with the Yank SS3200

Todd has same converter so will start off idle and roll into throttle and see

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went back to the local 1/8th track this week for the first time after getting my car back from Rick and my best was 1.809 on street tread. I tried launched at about 1200-1300 rpm each time with mixed results. I haven't been able to get my hands on any MT's yet but when Rick was finishing the tune up on it at the track, he was consistently 1.74 to 1.75. He was on his Drag pack but I can't remember what he said he was launching at.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
I went back to the local 1/8th track this week for the first time after getting my car back from Rick and my best was 1.809 on street tread. I tried launched at about 1200-1300 rpm each time with mixed results. I haven't been able to get my hands on any MT's yet but when Rick was finishing the tune up on it at the track, he was consistently 1.74 to 1.75. He was on his Drag pack but I can't remember what he said he was launching at.
I believe it was 1100-1000 rpm. The converter only flashes to 2450 so there wasn't much need to break stall it much. The only time I break stall them up hard is when traction is limited.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I foot brake mine to 3grand with the 3600. I tried flashing it a few times but mine likes to be stalled. Just play with it and watch your 60ft

·
Registered
376 Posts
Subscribed

Might hit up an 1/8th mile track Saturday night to learn how to launch with the Yank SS3200

Todd has same converter so will start off idle and roll into throttle and see

Horrible last night. I only got two runs in before the rain.

First attempt was at idle and cut a 1.935 60'.
Final attempt was brake stalling to 1500rpm and cut a 1.904.

Only saving grace was the DA was 2500.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Horrible last night. I only got two runs in before the rain.

First attempt was at idle and cut a 1.935 60'.
Final attempt was brake stalling to 1500rpm and cut a 1.904.

Only saving grace was the DA was 2500.
Da shouldn't effect 60'. Was is spinning? I know when I was first trying I wasn't getting the tires hot enough...really need to send them up in smoke for max traction

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
376 Posts
Da shouldn't effect 60'. Was is spinning? I know when I was first trying I wasn't getting the tires hot enough...really need to send them up in smoke for max traction
I was told I wasn't generating hardly any smoke on the burnout.

I did not feel it spinning but something was going on. I have a 3200 stall....

next time, I plan to do a long smoke-filled burnout and brake stall it to 2000-2500rpm and see what happens.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Richard you got some good smoke on the first run where you left at idle. But your second run, I saw no tire smoke on the burnout.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Richard you got some good smoke on the first run where you left at idle. But your second run, I saw no tire smoke on the burnout.

but I still trimmed down my 60' by .031....

next time, more smoke and more brake stalling and more cam!

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
1500-1600rpm launches would yield 1.74-1.75 60's in my case, anything higher, and my DR's won't hold, like 1800-2000rpm launches for example, (I'm running Toyo TQ DR's, they're not as good as MT DR's, but they last 3 times more for sure on the street, and can at least smell some water).
She goes 1.8's off idle, Yank 3200 SS here. The 3200 stall from Yank is super tight, anything more than 2000rpm and the tires would start to spin and the reason I should've gone with the 3600 rpm version. the 3200 it's great for the street, but super tight for the track, and even being super tight, she'll roast summer tires like there is no tomorrow, so i'm just wearing DR's permanently to avoid the lack of traction excuse at some stoplights :)

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
I was just thinking about this tonight... No clue where to launch check from.
Strong chance I'm racing on Saturday at the track and don't want to look like a fool having a pretty quick car and run something bad...
Running a Coan triple disc 3000 stall.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
yank 2800, DA ~5000 tried off idle 60' was a 2.1, then from 1600rpm 60' was 2.0 was gonna go back and launch harder but got kicked out for no helmet due to E/T :gr_devil:. so really never got any time to mess with it plus my hankook 245's aren't helping.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ive heard conflicting launch techniques...Some say for a really hard launch leave off of idle and let the converter flash and go to work, others say stall it up to the max before its starts to push through the brakes.

Anyone want to throw their two cents in?

Personally I have tried minimum stalling to say 1000-1200 and I cut 1.73-1.75 60's all day then I stall it up to 1600-1800 and was able to cut into the 1.6X's. Mine has a PI 2600 Triple Disk.

Maybe its just a matter of finding that sweet spot for each individual converter and car?!?!

troy i have had converters in all my cars expect the g8 yet.. my tbss had a 3200 stall and i would stall to about 1,000 ish just enough to take slack out of the driveline and stab it yielding some 1.71 60' foot times , my challenger has a 3500 stall and it likes the 2400 stall as it feels loose but thats what i wanted out of it anymore off that it really hits it flashes at around 4,000 on some sticky tires it would probably yank the tire but i have yet to try that . my 91 5.0 couple had a 2800 stall and liked the stab off idle since it didnt make a ton of power i needed all i can get to get it going . A guy i knew had a tbss like mine and stock stall and would cut some really good times off it by stalling it up as far as he could and let it go but i dont know what the hell he was doing to run so good maybe running his tune way lean but it ran like it had mods and it was only tuned .. so what im saying is i guess is all cars and stalls are gonna be different so i think you found your sweet spot cutting good 1.6's

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just thinking about this tonight... No clue where to launch check from.
Strong chance I'm racing on Saturday at the track and don't want to look like a fool having a pretty quick car and run something bad...
Running a Coan triple disc 3000 stall.

Congrats on the Coan! That is one awesome piece!!!

My advice to you would be to MAKE SURE THE TIRES ARE HOT!! and also psi is good. Since I have done the converter I have found that this is a very important piece of the puzzle. Before when on the stock converter it was a simple 1-4 burnout in the water box and roll on out to the staging lanes. Now If I do the same I just blow the tires off on the launch....

Now I still do the 1-4 manual burnout but I just hold it for a little while in 4th till the smoke rolls and it hooks like a champ! Been running 18psi hot 15-60psi cold in my NT05r's. If I were you Id try starting in the middle, stalling it up to 1500 or so staging then stab it on green! Good luck and keep us posted!

Rolling Smoke:

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts

My advice to you would be to MAKE SURE THE TIRES ARE HOT!! and also psi is good. Since I have done the converter I have found that this is a very important piece of the puzzle. Before when on the stock converter it was a simple 1-4 burnout in the water box and roll on out to the staging lanes. Now If I do the same I just blow the tires off on the launch....

Now I still do the 1-4 manual burnout but I just hold it for a little while in 4th till the smoke rolls and it hooks like a champ! Been running 18psi hot 15-60psi cold in my NT05r's. If I were you Id try starting in the middle, stalling it up to 1500 or so staging then stab it on green! Good luck and keep us posted!

Rolling Smoke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aREUeQXn5Us
Thanks for the info Troy. I'll try that! Looking for someone to head to the track with, the person I was going to go with backed out. Not a huge deal but its nice to know you have a set of hands incase something goes wrong and to have him give you pointers on things. This would only be my second time ever at the strip.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts

Rolling Smoke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aREUeQXn5Us
I'll try a lot less psi in my Toyo DR's, hopefully that would be why I cant get them to hook at 1800-2000rpm launches. I run 26* in my DR's going as low as 24 psi to test, i'm just lazy to air up after track sessions :), but i'll try them at 18 psi and see how they hook, never though of going that low because of the launching rpm with our trans and verters is not that high, I'm my Goat (m6 T56 trans), I used to launch at 4500-5000rpm, and only the MT DR's would hold the power at 16 psi, my Nittos would just spin in the same situation. With the autos, the drivetrain shock is a lot less when launching, and I didn't think we needed to go that low in the rear tires psi to get them to hook. It's always good to see what others are doing to get a better view of what we do :)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.