Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a "clunk" noise that sounds like it is coming from the driver's side front wheel. It used to mostly happen when turning right or when pulling out of a parking spot. Now it has started to happen over small bumps on the road. I have not lifted the front end to see if there is vertical or horizontal play on that wheel, but all the symptoms seem to match up with what I have been reading as a bad lower control arm ball joint.

I called a couple dealerships around the Fort Worth area to get an idea of how much replacing the LCA's with the OEM kit would run me. One shop called back with an $875 quote while another ended up at a $1600 quote. Both of those numbers seem high (probably because I am cheap) since the price on the kit is somewhere around $200 for all four front lower control arms.

Is there a dealership or shop anyone would recommend in the Fort Worth area for this? I am an electrical guy, so I am not sure if this would count as a DIY job for me unless I can use some diagonal cutters and electrical tape.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found a shop I like from the GTO forum. I should have thought to search that first since it has a few years over the G8 forums.

Also figured out that the LCA's probably aren't to blame. I popped the hood and took a look at the front strut mount bushings. I saw someone describe it looking like "a UFO attacking a city." There was about a half inch gap on the side the pop came from.

Now I have an excuse to upgrade the suspension, at least.

·
HLDN ON
450 Posts
LCA's will cause a pop noise in the front end. Ball joint goes out. I have a full Pedders suspension with Pedders strut mounts and ended up having a ball joint in my passenger side LCA go out. Before I realized it was a ball joint, I contacted the shop that installed my Pedders. They wouldn't diagnose it since they assumed it was Pedders related and they were no longer a Pedders installer. With help from this site, I diagnosed it myself and ordered a full set of control arms with upgraded balljoints from GMpartsdirect and installed them myself using hand tools and jack stands. It was actually very easy...and I'm a banker! Ha. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts