Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell if my LCA's are worn out? MY '08 has 63,000 miles on it. It has new rotors and factory pads (0 brake dust). It has recently developed a noise in the front end that sounds like a moan, especially when I turn the wheel to the right. I pulled it up on ramps and checked for any loose arms or links. It was all tight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If it moans while turning. I'd check your power steering. LCAs are more of a clunk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power steering fluid is full, and the steering is smooth as always. By the way, you have a wicked ride!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hey thanks. If you can hear a kind of thumping along with the moan, it's probably a ball joint or the strut mounts. At any rate, most LCA issues happen before your mileage so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the cause. Are you on the original strut mounts(bushings)? Also, if yours is a V6, these things have some brutal alternator whine when under load.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you have a moaning while turning I would definitely check out the strut mounts and strut mount bearings. These two parts are kind of known issue with G8s so I wouldn't be surprised if either one was your culprit. If you determine that either of these are your issue I would look into a good poly-urethane replacement strut mount like our BMR or SuperPro strut mounts which hold up way better than the rubber strut mounts and definitely do new strut mount bushings while you are in there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It moans when turning or going straight and there is any up or down suspension movement, but it doesn't do it all the time. It gets worse after I have driven a few miles. It has the original struts and LCA's, but the right ball joint went out at around 40,000 miles while a GM tech was driving it to check out my steering wheel shake, (warped rotors). It is a V6, but it's definitely not a alternator whine. It moans when turning the wheels in park. Should I go ahead and replace the struts along with the new strut mounts? I might as well replace the LCA's while it's all apart, since they are a known problem. I'll have it checked to see if that's my problem.
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It moans when turning or going straight and there is any up or down suspension movement, but it doesn't do it all the time. It gets worse after I have driven a few miles. It has the original struts and LCA's, but the right ball joint went out at around 40,000 miles while a GM tech was driving it to check out my steering wheel shake, (warped rotors). It is a V6, but it's definitely not a alternator whine. It moans when turning the wheels in park. Should I go ahead and replace the struts along with the new strut mounts? I might as well replace the LCA's while it's all apart, since they are a known problem. I'll have it checked to see if that's my problem.
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
With 63k miles it wouldn't hurt to swap out the struts/shocks but I wouldn't say it is something you have to do. If you decide to swap the struts/shocks out the FE3 may be a good affordable option. Have everything looked at real good and let us know what you end up figuring out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an appointment on Thursday. I will let you know what they find. Do you think they can isolate the problem without removing the struts? I can push down on the right front end and it makes a loud creak/groan.
I checked out the BK011 bushing kit and the BK025 bearing set on your website. The instructions are very detailed on how to install them. I would like to have the parts on hand if they have to take the suspension apart to find the problem. Thanks again.

·
Suspension Guru
1,226 Posts
Don't buy any parts until the car is looked at.

Step 1 find the problem,
Step 2 buy parts
Step 3 fix the problem.

It sounds to me like you may have a ball joint that is gone bad and is starting to make some noise. Have the Tech's look the car over and see what they say.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my car checked. The dealer replaced the right front strut (without a new mount or bearing). I drove it up the street and back to the dealer. The noise was just as bad. The tech took it around the building, then crawled under it for a minute and says it's the tie rod. Needless to say, I am taking it elsewhere since they are just guessing. I will have to deal with them on the strut because it wasn't the problem. I am taking it to a different garage this week to have it checked. The noise is the worst when going slow and turning the wheels to the right. The right front suspension makes a moaning sound. It doesn't make any noise when turning to the left.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
mine made the same noise in the same way u described . it was the lower control arm, not the radius rod, on the front drivers side. vendors here have what u need to replace them yourself . if u go with upgraded bushings in the lca you will need to find a shop with a big ole press....

strut bushing n bearing are easy to replace also...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I had my car checked. The dealer replaced the right front strut (without a new mount or bearing). I drove it up the street and back to the dealer. The noise was just as bad. The tech took it around the building, then crawled under it for a minute and says it's the tie rod. Needless to say, I am taking it elsewhere since they are just guessing. I will have to deal with them on the strut because it wasn't the problem. I am taking it to a different garage this week to have it checked. The noise is the worst when going slow and turning the wheels to the right. The right front suspension makes a moaning sound. It doesn't make any noise when turning to the left.
It doesn't sound like the dealer was all that much help for you, let us know what the garage says that you are going to take it to.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check the tie rod nut. Mine was slightly loose for about a year and I was getting a loud moan/screech when turning the wheel. It escalated to a loud pop and that's when I found the nut to be loose. I tightened it up and both noises went-away.

The tie rod nuts on our cars don't have cotter-pins. Instead, they have a nylon insert that keeps them from coming-off, but they can still come loose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input. I just posted a new thread called "Lower Control Arm Service Bulletin" to inform other G8 owners of the lower control arm kit that my local dealer used to fix my problem. The post has the service bulletin number and the part number for the kit. The kit includes all four lower control arms. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts