Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends,

Sorry I missed the meet at Lakeview yesterday but had to go to Buffalo yesterday with the family. I would have loved to see what fellow G8er's have done to their cars.

I have the dreaded LCA problem with my car. I thought I was in the clear and noticed it over the cold winter. Creaking in the front - especially the right side. When I brake, over 50% of the time, the steering wheel shakes almost like the right side ABS is coming on (but its not). I can tell its an LCA issue.

Now, when I am rounding a curve to the left or trying to replicate by moving the steering wheel side to side, everytime I pull it hard enough to the left it feels like the right front wheel is wobbling. So its an LCA issue and maybe bushings or sway bar. No biggie and still under warranty.

Now, I am afraid of bringing it to a dealer that doesn't know anything about our cars which is 90% of them and not being able to fix right the first time.

Anyone recommend a great dealer, or even a specific GM mechanic they trust that can deal with this the first time?

Anyone else had this issue locally? I see tons of threads in the US but nothing in the Canada forum.

Appreciate your advice.

btw....I live in Ajax, bought it from Gus Brown in Whitby and have 48K.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You are in luck !

Justin, aka: J2_GXP8 is now a tech at Boyer Chev Cadillac in Pickering.
(This is Justin that owns a G8 GXP formerly from: Highland Chev, & then Wilson Niblett.)
Ask for him by name.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I was just reading all the praise on Justin / J2_GXP8. That's great!

I'll make arrangements this week.

Anyone else had the LCA service or recall done?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks Mike. I was just reading all the praise on Justin / J2_GXP8. That's great!

I'll make arrangements this week.

I had my LCA's done under the 3-year bumper-to-bumper GM warranty at Old Mill GM.
& the strut bushings & bearings twice.

It took awhile to convince them that the car was making noise when cold started in the winter time...because for over a year I was trying to get a tech to hear the noise in the dead cold of winter.
By the 2nd winter a service advisor's wife's G8 was in for the same problem & the TSB was out on the strut bushing & bearing noise.
So, then they knew what the problem was.
While doing that, they also did the LCA (the tech doing the work told me what to specify my complaint about to get them done.)

PS: I don't think the LCA are covered beyond the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty unless you have an extended warranty (?).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the extended warranty to I think 6yr/140K - I made sure in getting it knowing Pontiac was going out of business. My time will run out before I hit the mileage.

Thanks again!

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
I had mine done by Mills in Oshawa.

Avoid Gus Brown at any and all costs. Boyer I haven't heard too many good things about either, I'm surprised to hear Justin leave WN to go there.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey guys, yes its true I'm at Boyer starting monday.. Really Bill? I heard nothing but good things from Boyer.. Doesnt matter if you come to see me you will still get the same treatment as always..The best! It also helps that I own a G8..lol. But neverless I always guarantee all my work and you can always ask me any questions or concerns that you may have. The quality of my work stays the same no matter where I go :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Justin is amazing to work with. No BS, he's always shown me what the issues are and the best coarse of action. I watched him flush my tranny and was amazed at what a process it was. He gets my vote every time. Yes, it's nice that he owns a G8, but he's the man to see for any car trouble. I'll be dropping in Saturday for an oil change and pick up a pulley bolt that mysteriously fell off. I can't recommend him enough.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Justin is amazing to work with. No BS, he's always shown me what the issues are and the best coarse of action. I watched him flush my tranny and was amazed at what a process it was. He gets my vote every time. Yes, it's nice that he owns a G8, but he's the man to see for any car trouble. I'll be dropping in Saturday for an oil change and pick up a pulley bolt that mysteriously fell off. I can't recommend him enough.
Thanks buddy!:gears:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Justin, my name is Steve and I'll be calling you this week bud.

I helped buy an Equinox from Boyer last year for my dad and it was a good experience.
Nice reno's going on there too. Good luck on day 1!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey guys, yes its true I'm at Boyer starting monday.. Really Bill? I heard nothing but good things from Boyer.. Doesnt matter if you come to see me you will still get the same treatment as always..The best! It also helps that I own a G8..lol. But neverless I always guarantee all my work and you can always ask me any questions or concerns that you may have. The quality of my work stays the same no matter where I go :)
This is great news... Boyer is about 2 minutes from my house. Haven't had good experiences there before (with other vehicles) but I can personally vouch for the quality of Justin's work, and that he's a good guy to deal with.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
Well if I can't talk my DSM into letting us do the work on my car here, I may have to leave it in his hands...it'll eventually have a lifter tick...and the 2-3 shift flare...and hmmm...I'm sure there'll be more

·
OGOC Member
773 Posts
This is great news... Boyer is about 2 minutes from my house. Haven't had good experiences there before (with other vehicles) but I can personally vouch for the quality of Justin's work, and that he's a good guy to deal with.
Yup, me too! Five minutes from where I work! Way better than the 70 km drive to WN.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
197 Posts
How many have been able to get the LCAs done under warranty?

The horrendous dealership in Parksville BC on Vancouver Island refused to do the LCAs under warranty, though they did screw up their diagnosis and mistakenly replace the entire steering rack assembley to try and correct the noise. Because there aren't many dealerships to choose from out there, I simply purchased the LCA kit from a US source and we installed them ourselves. At least the kit was cheap enough, especially from America.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had mine done just before the warranty finished.
I had to fight, for the work to be done..... it was a dealership on highway 440 in Laval.
I was hearing a "clonk" noise from the front left side, turning right out of my driveway.
This was 1 year ago, so I forgot what they said, they thought it was.....but I know this for sure, they did not say LCA ...... I knew it was the LCA's from reading the boards. The original LCA's were a bad design, and almost everybody had to change them. I'm surprised it wasn't a recall.......
Anyways, I dug out reseach, and some guy on the boards send me a link that was a statement from GM about the bad LCA's, and brought it to the dealer....and after bringing this documentation to the service manager, they decided to do it. So I got 4 new LCA's......
Now.... after doing LCA's you need a wheel alignment......well guess what..... they said "NO" ...... well I said "YES" ...... and again I had to prove it them ..... and they finally did it....
So ..... if u still have warranty..... and ur LCA's are originals ..... get them done asap .....
just tell them u hear a "clonk" in ur front suspension when u turn ..... GM knows they are bad LCA's ..... keep on insisting till they do them ......
Good luck....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Justin is working on it now at Boyer - at least waiting for parts - and says its the worst wear damage he's ever seen. Ya. I'm THAT guy now. Ugh.

·
OGOC Member
2,649 Posts
How many have been able to get the LCAs done under warranty?

The horrendous dealership in Parksville BC on Vancouver Island refused to do the LCAs under warranty, though they did screw up their diagnosis and mistakenly replace the entire steering rack assembley to try and correct the noise. Because there aren't many dealerships to choose from out there, I simply purchased the LCA kit from a US source and we installed them ourselves. At least the kit was cheap enough, especially from America.
I had my LCAs done under warranty 6 months ago. I had to get angry and tell the the service guy to drive it himself and see and he came and told its the rubber boot holding it together and thats what I thought myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.