Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread before stating how happy I was that despite having 106,000 miles on my car and 70,000 on the warrantied replacement LCA's on my car that my dealer decided to replace them free of charge when the clunk came back. Well, they replaced them and I still have that damn clunk/rattle when going over small bumps at slow speed side to side....the one we all know about.

I know they replaced the parts because the alignment was off when I got the car back...what gives? Says on the work order installed upper and lower control arms.

What the heck!!!! Everything else w/ the car is fine and I want to keep driving it for a good while but this is so aggravating!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car does not have front upper arms. Sounds to me like sway bar end links.
Expensive fix? That is aggravating...new LCA's for no reason haha!

Has to be something else than the LCA's because they were replaced...I know it isn't a bushing, sounds like you could be right it is when there is a "side to side bump @ slow speed" is when it makes the sound, when coming to a stop for instance over uneven pavement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the same problem. Dealer replaced the LCAs, radius rods, and strut mounts and still I have the exact same clunk you do. Mine is still under warranty so I'm taking it back in this week. Its funny dealers can't seem to do an alignment mine was off when I picked it up too. :nuts:

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
endlinks are more of a "pop" over large dips and sharp turns

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
@t.snow50, I’m very sorry to read about the situation with your vehicle. Please, let me know how things go with the second visit to the dealership.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it simply can't be the LCA's since they've been replaced...I mean on top of that this is the SAME dealer that trouble-shooted it before and originally fixed it. SO it has to be something else. I'm taking it to another dealer when it is ready for the next oil change see if they can diagnose it. I don't care about paying for the parts, it is just annoying

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
did he check the struts ?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had this same problem. Lca's replaced and the clunk remained. I then changed out sway bar links and strut mounts and still there. The problem ended up being the metal bracket with the welded nut that the LCA holds onto. The welded nut ended up breaking the weld and started spinning loosely. This happened because of over tightening. New brackets and no more clunk.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've got a "clunk" whenever I go over speed bumps. Its sounds more like its coming from around near my transmission. I dont believe its a tranny mount, as the shifter doesnt move all over the place. I think sometimes it may be the exhaust shifting from side to side. I've climbed under the car and shook the exhaust, but cant replicate the noise I hear. I dont believe its the control arms because they show no signs of movement when I checked them. The only thing I know for sure thats wore out is the strut bushings, but I dont believe I would hear/feel the clunk around the area of the transmission. Any ideas?

EB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts