Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand LED healight bulbs fit INSIDE of the dust cover. Bought a few different brands off of amazon that i thought were small enough but they dont fit. Luckily they fit my other cars. Please lmk if you came across any brands. If not, ill just drill my caps for HIDs. Trying ti avoid that though.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It sounds like the Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs fit. But they are spendy. There are rubber dust cover options on Amazon. After looking at the options, figure out what measurements you need to take and go from there to get the right set.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs fit. But they are spendy. There are rubber dust cover options on Amazon. After looking at the options, figure out what measurements you need to take and go from there to get the right set.
Hey thanks. Ill try the dust caps off of amazon first. I just orderd the 4" ones (after measuring)....hopefully they work good. Really dont want to drill holes in the factory dust caps....but HATE headlight condensation. Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
On a much different note, were you ever able to locate another hood scoop? If not, what took its place?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a much different note, were you ever able to locate another hood scoop? If not, what took its place?
I actually had to put that off....had to change both wheel bearings, and buy new tires. Might just end up trying to expoxy the crack on my hood scoop for now.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I actually had to put that off....had to change both wheel bearings, and buy new tires. Might just end up trying to expoxy the crack on my hood scoop for now.
PM sent and they would blend in well with the current color scheme. :wink3:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PM sent and they would blend in well with the current color scheme. /forums/images/G8Board_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
True. Lol. But right now i gotta spend money on "function" items over "form" items. Lol im gonna vinyl wrap the scoops anyways after i repair it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
True. Lol. But right now i gotta spend money on "function" items over "form" items. Lol im gonna vinyl wrap the scoops anyways after i repair it. Thanks.
Very well and am in the same boat captain.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the Diode Dynamics LEDs and they fit with no problem. If you have patience and perseverance Opt7 will fit too. I could get the driver side pretty easy but the passenger side was a battle that whupped me for awhile.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Hikari Eye of Megatron's fit. Opt7's did, I heard they've changed the design so not sure if they still do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Another thing....when running these led headlights that have fans for cooling, inside the dust caps, how long do they last? I bet that headlight housing becomes a convection oven with heat just calculating inside the housing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I thought I read that Diode Dynamics designed theirs for use with caps (not 100% sure on that) but I've been running mine since I got them in January with no problems. Had the Opt7s in before that, moved those to my Impala with aftermarket headlights and the caps fit no problem. They haven't gone out. About a month ago a deer ran out in front of me, the LED took bad damage but still burns bright.

·
Supporting Vendors
290 Posts
I thought I read that Diode Dynamics designed theirs for use with caps (not 100% sure on that) but I've been running mine since I got them in January with no problems. Had the Opt7s in before that, moved those to my Impala with aftermarket headlights and the caps fit no problem. They haven't gone out. About a month ago a deer ran out in front of me, the LED took bad damage but still burns bright.

Correct, our engineering team designed the SL1 specifically with dust-cap clearance in mind. They fit with the dust cap installed correctly.

The Diode Dynamics SL1 is also made here in St. Louis, Missouri!

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So running the SL1 inside the dust cap wont create excessive heat that would melt the plastic housing or warp/ discolor the plastic lense?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
I don't think they are making enough heat to melt anything, the stock housings can handle 55 watt HIDS without issue.

I'll have to see how toasty mine are getting sometime.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope so. Dont wanna ruin my new headlight housings lol. It makes me wonder , if it doesnt get that hot....why do most led bulbs have fans on them?? Hmmm....

·
Registered
331 Posts
No LED expert here but I believe as the LED gets hotter the output gets less so if you can keep them "cooler" the output will remain brighter, may also prolong the life of them, or at least it seems like I heard those reasons before. I have seen several H11 LEDs that just have heat sinks on them without fans. Had the OPT7s in the G8 for about a year before getting the Diode Dynamic LEDs and had no heat related issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The hotter LEDs run the shorter their lifespan. It's a computer chip. They have a thermal limit, as opposed to halogen which doesn't. Halogens just melt things around them. Essentially LED chips are rated at a certain number of hours at a certain temperature. Raise the operating temperature ten degrees and the lifespan is now half what it normally would be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Diode Dynamics LEDs and they fit with no problem. If you have patience and perseverance Opt7 will fit too. I could get the driver side pretty easy but the passenger side was a battle that whupped me for awhile.
How do you like the Diode Dynamics LEDs? I've been curious how they compare to the Opt7s. Do they have good light output and a good beam pattern in our headlight housings?

·
Registered
331 Posts
How do you like the Diode Dynamics LEDs? I've been curious how they compare to the Opt7s. Do they have good light output and a good beam pattern in our headlight housings?
I like them. They seem to throw more of a beam where the Opt7 seem to flood the front of the car with light. Driving downa tree lined road you can actually see where the beam is cut off vertically. Think that allows for better "aiming" to avoid other drivers being blinded. Only down side I see is they are pricier then the Opt7 and it appears demand outweighs supply right now since the H11 is on back order.

Would I hesitate to get another set, no. Would I hesitate to get another set of Opt7, no. If the extra money and having to wait to get the DD doesn't bother you I'd wait. If you need instant gratification go with the Opt7. How's that for being non-commital.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts