Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to do some research on the different headlights. At first I was going to go with the HID conversion kit from retro fit source because I had read that the LEDs were not as bright as the HID, but then I saw that the thread was several years old and at the time there wasn't a LED conversion kit. Now I saw that there is a good LED conversion kit from OPT-7. So now I'm wondering if there is much of a difference since LED has come a long way in the recent years. Would love to hear from some that have tried either route. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My OPT-7 Fluxbeam X kit is comparable but slightly more dim than a set of 35W HID's I had before it. The Opt-7 kit can be installed and all stuffed into the headlight. With HID's you can get a 50W or more to get a higher light output but will have to drill holes in the dust covers and run wires.

Choice is based on your preferences, abilities, and time. I still love my LED's but they can be fairly dim in rain especially on black-top roads.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Diode Dynamics has a new LED that they claim is better. The Opt7 is the best LED I have found so far (tried 4 others with different degrees of satisfaction). I did order the new DD bulb and got an e-mail that it shipped late yesterday so I'll see how it compares with the Opt7 in a few days hopefully.

·
F1rehawk
747 Posts
I would go with the LEDs. It's newer technology and apparently runs at lower temperatures, hence lowering the chance to fry your headlight system. It is however dimmer from the HIDs. Diode Dynamics is indeed a reputable seller. Easy install too. Most kits today are plug and play.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
I would go with the LEDs. It's newer technology and apparently runs at lower temperatures, hence lowering the chance to fry your headlight system. It is however dimmer from the HIDs. Diode Dynamics is indeed a reputable seller. Easy install too. Most kits today are plug and play.
I believe quite a few owners have run 55 watt hids without any heat damage to the factory housings. Wiring isn't an issue with a relay harness.

I do know a few people running Opt7s and they love em too so either is a good option depending on your preference.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
LED bulbs aren't going to be as good as HID bulbs, especially in an older projector lens. It's great for cars that come from factory with them. I'm still awaiting reviews of DD bulbs, haven't seen anything yet. As of now my recommendation is going to be HID if you want more visibility. If you just want a whiter looking bulb and don't care about maximum visibility, then I would say try LED.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I like my HIDs from TRS. The projectors have bi-exon 35w HIDs 5500k, and then I added some OPT-7s 6000k into the high beam socket. Next I used TRS's quad high beam harness to connect it all together. I am content with the setup. HIDs were definitely brighter, but best of both worlds!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Still waiting:

Per the USPS "The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our COLUMBIA SC PROCESSING CENTER destination facility on January 15, 2018 at 5:18 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

I wonder why people are using Fed Ex and UPS more and more! Looks like Saturday now before I'll have a chance to install.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
HID's are the dead format. Glare is the big drawback and heat. LED's are getting better and longer lasting. You just have to not be tempted by the cheap import knock offs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been trying to do some research on the different headlights. At first I was going to go with the HID conversion kit from retro fit source because I had read that the LEDs were not as bright as the HID, but then I saw that the thread was several years old and at the time there wasn't a LED conversion kit. Now I saw that there is a good LED conversion kit from OPT-7. So now I'm wondering if there is much of a difference since LED has come a long way in the recent years. Would love to hear from some that have tried either route. Thanks in advance.
I bought the OPT-7 LEDs and one of the fans died after a year, causing the LED to fry. However, OPT-7 sent me a new set under warranty and they have been fine. As others have stated, you can fit everything in the dust cap but it is tight. I ordered spare dust caps, heated them up, and flattened out the angled section to give a little more space.

I also have a set of the 'new' Morimoto 2 stroke LED headlights from G8only. The drivers are slightly larger and they have a large heat sync instead of a fan. The drawback with these is you need to cut out the dust cap and insert cap extensions for the larger drivers. I have yet to put them in because that means I may have to cut into my Rotofab air box.

As for brightness, each LED set should state its output. The OPT-7 are pretty bright, especially in the snow here in MN. The motimoto's supposedly have a slightly higher output.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Swapped out the right side. DD's LED seems to throw some strange patterns on the ground about 4-6 inches "off the hood". Kind of distracting but if your driving that close to the hood lighting is probably going to be the least of your problems. With the fog lights on they seem to disappear. It doesn't appear to be as crisp of a white light but seems to throw more of a beam down the road then the Opt7. Not sure if headlights will need to be re-aimed, I lowered them a little with the Opt7s. Dust cap fit MUCH easier. Honestly was never able to put the dust cap on the passenger side light with the Opt7 but was not an issue with DD. All that being said I may also be trying to excuse spending another $100+ for a set of headlights. I'll sit back and watch the reviews other people give to see if that's the case.

My current verdict is they are very good at least as good as the Opt7. Would have a tough time picking which is best. Since I have 2 cars that use the same bulbs I will put the Opt7s in the Impala until a time comes that I feel they are better and decide to switch back ;-).

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Swapped out the right side. DD's LED seems to throw some strange patterns on the ground about 4-6 inches "off the hood". Kind of distracting but if your driving that close to the hood lighting is probably going to be the least of your problems. With the fog lights on they seem to disappear. It doesn't appear to be as crisp of a white light but seems to throw more of a beam down the road then the Opt7. Not sure if headlights will need to be re-aimed, I lowered them a little with the Opt7s. Dust cap fit MUCH easier. Honestly was never able to put the dust cap on the passenger side light with the Opt7 but was not an issue with DD. All that being said I may also be trying to excuse spending another $100+ for a set of headlights. I'll sit back and watch the reviews other people give to see if that's the case.

My current verdict is they are very good at least as good as the Opt7. Would have a tough time picking which is best. Since I have 2 cars that use the same bulbs I will put the Opt7s in the Impala until a time comes that I feel they are better and decide to switch back ;-).
Very interesting.

And images?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Very interesting.

And images?
Took some pics this AM. Think the "whiteness" is due to the fact that the Opt7s dump a lot of light right out of the gate so the ground right in front of the car is flooded while the DDs shoot out further before lighting the road if that makes any sense. Could not get a decent shot of the pattern that the DD puts on the ground due to camera trying to compensate for lighting. Only time I really notice them, if not looking for them, is turning corners when your field of vision changes to where your going to point the car as turning. Will resize the pics for forum friendly viewing and put up as soon as I can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not had good luck with LED's, and HID light output has always been better. I put a set of 35w hid's in factory projectors temporarily while i do a retrofit and have been pleased with the output.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts