Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So good afternoon, its obvious I have been a big thread poster of late with my new cam install ha... But what I have learned it is never enough.... I cant keep from going sideways and it isn't enough... So since I have this fire under my ass lets go forward with say building a 600-700 horse machine without touching the bottom end lol.. Ok so as of today I was already looking at ported LS3 heads which seems like a no brainer, I should have done it right off the bat, but I was already balls deep and about 10 big boxes into parts.... So I was wondering who has used Link lifters and I would like to know some pro and cons to them and then pros and cons of ported heads and good brands to pursue... Im already knowing im going to throw in a more aggressive cam. So mister Pat G I think its time to start collaborating, maybe a cam build for a turbo setup. As much as a supercharger is so well effective.. You cant help to get hot and heavy over a turbo spooling up and the bov reminding everyone of the respect that is due. I catch myself looking at texas speed, and looking at prebuilt motors stroked out and ready to tear the pavement into oblivion but what fun is that if I don't get all greasy and beat up from doing it myself... So like I said lets go forward lets spend some of my money and collectively build a 6-700 horse machine with a stock bottom end. Once again I would like to know about good ported ls3 heads and then pros and cons of link lifters and the durability and longevity of them. I forgot to give a shout out to Vector motorsports, great bunch of guys helped me so much, whenever I had a question they were there to help me to the holy land. P.s don't put your oil pump internals in backwards bad things happen :O. ONE MORE P.S if you haven't tore into your g8 just go sell it, changing my cam made the g8 10x more enjoyable :D

·
every village has one
2,371 Posts
Mod bug has bitten you pretty badly.
That's OK though, you have a huge support group.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Why don't you just have your heads ported. The only difference between the two is the valves. Send Rick C. your heads and have them ported and switch out your valves. It will save you a ton of coin too.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I believe there are a few guys that have already done this. Worth looking around at their builds.

Be careful though, this may get expensive fast! lol I know, cause it did for me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I picked up a set of heads very reasonable local so I could get them ported before I did my swap. Got the hollow stem valves and sent the heads off to Rick to get ported and milled. They came back and look great! Mine goes in march 18th

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah with everything that has been done im into it pretty far. What im really curious about though is those link lifters eliminating the need for those flimsy lifter trays that could cause havoc in our motors!

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I
supporting mods.

-Todd...
This...You should be thinking; "how do I get the fuel system over 500hp?". At 451hp at the wheels, I'm very close to starting to lean things out. It did not take link lifters or special heads to get there.
You can throw money at it if you like, but I'd hate to see you end up like Daniel Linnett...

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I have only heard of lifter tray failures on early LS1 and LS6 motors. If the lifter won't stay up in the tray, it is worn and should be replaced. Haven't heard of any Gen IV failures.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can throw money at it if you like, but I'd hate to see you end up like Daniel Linnett...
With a mid 9 sec 4000# car??? lol

If you know what your end goal is and work towards it you will have an easier route and wont have to buy certain stuff then sell it to get something else to make your build work. I agree with what other have said get your heads or another set and have the work done to those unless you just want to drop a good amount on a new set but thats money you can put towards other supporting mods :gears:

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
Have fun with the stock bottom end exploding.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why don't you just have your heads ported. The only difference between the two is the valves. Send Rick C. your heads and have them ported and switch out your valves. It will save you a ton of coin too
^this

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. So that all being said... Am I better off just going in and having a forged bottom end thrown in. Or should I just spend say 4-5 grand and buy a block from say texas speed for around 4 grand? Now that I have read into some of this I can see that an upgraded fuel system is in dire need. So where do we go from there 60 pound injectors? upgraded fuel rails?, upgraded fuel pump?

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Have fun with the stock bottom end exploding.
Probably won't explode but those connecting rods will bend and compress over time from all those horses. Happened to Doug but it was still incredible to see what a stock L76 bottom end could handle.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ok. So that all being said... Am I better off just going in and having a forged bottom end thrown in. Or should I just spend say 4-5 grand and buy a block from say texas speed for around 4 grand? Now that I have read into some of this I can see that an upgraded fuel system is in dire need. So where do we go from there 60 pound injectors? upgraded fuel rails?, upgraded fuel pump?
How much are you looking to spend on this build because it could get expensive real quick.

Personally I would go with the 404 forged stroker kit from livernois. Have a custom cam set up for FI and then make sure you have all your fuel system set up good.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Now that I have read into some of this I can see that an upgraded
IMO, having a motor that puts out big numbers is meaningless if you can't put it to the ground or have endless reliability issues. Depending on the power levels you want to achieve (600hp at the wheels? or crank?), how you want to use the car (street? drag racing? other?), and level of reliability you need (daily driver vs. trailer)... there are lots of supporting mods that will likely be required.
Fuel system (injectors, pump, pressure regulator, etc.)
Gauges (fuel pressure, etc.)
Rear suspension (lower control arms, trailing arms, toe rods, bushings, etc.)
Axles/Rear-end
Tires (wheels)
I'd really recommend thinking about what your end goal is and build towards that. Building a car with lots of HP is easy... it just takes $$,$$$.

-Todd...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well money isn't a huge issue :D not married have a pretty good job and im still pretty young so I figure if im going to get wild this is the time :D, this mod bug has taken a pretty big bite :D

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
If money is no object...
1. dual in tank fuel pump, larger lines, fuel rails and injectors to support...
2. 418 stroker motor - Texas speed, with custom cam to support...
3. F1 procharger

You should easily be at 700 whp, fairly reliable (if the drive train will support). If you really want nasty, F2 procharger put dowm 1377 rwhp on e85...daily driven!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts