I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
How about fuel door and hardware?

Oh and keep up the good work olly. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fuel door is different ($12.00) but the hardware is the same. Here are some more I got today.
Ute tailshaft $620.00
Ute specific interior trim (headlining, carpet, door opening trim, bulkhead trim behind the seats $1660.00. The carpet alone was $530.00..I don't think it would be hard to cut the G8 carpet and save the $$$
Licence plate lamp, wiring and mould..$80.00
Side skirts $70.00
The firewall is not listed as a spare part for a commodore.
I am sure there is more but that's enough for now.....(updated my pricing/problem post)

·
luvute2
162 Posts
Don't have them anymore, there were several threads left over on LS1gto that had pics. Got a phone number on the guy though. Most of the pics were on the ebay auction, which, is 2 years long gone. I got rid of the pics he sent me by email once he told me that he had sold two of them (one was a crewman that he kept for himself).

He got a real raw deal over on the "other" website, don't get into pissing matches over there.

·
luvute2
162 Posts
Ok my last post had a bunch more I added to it but it got lost in the eworld so I will try to recreate...

I asked the guy in Cali if he would do another GTO-UTE for me, he is an auto-rebuilder by profession, and he was resoundingly opposed to it. It was too much of a financial risk for him, and for all the work it took to accomplish it would come out way too expensive.

Some things I learned from the guy in Cali that did the three, and my own experience trying to rebuild a toyota PU into a road legal hunting vehicle on the cheap...

Be careful if you intend to use a wrecked g8 as a donor. If the title is branded salvage, depending on your state, it could be a headache or even impossible to get it road legal and get the title back to rebuilt status. In Alabama, there was a comprehensive inspection that specified that anything going from salvage to rebuilt status had to be fixed up to brand new status, that means scratches, dents, broken trim, stained carpet, EVERYTHING. Which might be difficult explaining where the two missing doors went. In addition, VIN numbers were are checked at many places, the locations of which I am not fully aware of. Some of them include the dash, floor pan, chassis rails, and doors. They do this as a deterrent to the stolen chop shop trade. For example if you have a normal car, get into a slight accident which doesn't total the car, need a new door from the junkyard, you put it on and no problem. However, with states with rebuilt rules such as AL, if you're car is trying to go from salvage status to rebuilt status, you must have a paper trail that shows where the door came from, through what junkyards, from which donor car and the status on the donor car, and I think that those paper trails included notaries and affadavits and such. Now the state I live in is very lax about rebuilt status cars, basically it must be road safe, like a basic inspection looking for lights, brakes, suspension, tires and such.

So basically, try to find a donor G8 that has a clean title so that your VIN number doesn't have to be verified in every little place.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
So that means that it is possible to register the ute legally....just depends on which state the donor G8GT is purchased in.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Crash repair manuals are available for the Commodore/Ute on CD-ROM in OZ so I suspect there is a G8 version for you guys.

Those would be helpful, but GM used to issue assembly manuals for everything which showed both parts and procedure.

Could just be a thing of the past.

I too, remember the GTO Utes and traded e-mails with the builder - they looked great.

The pitfalls of this are potentially annoying, but it can be done. Research and more research before starting is the way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll second that. I'd love to see some pics.
Here are the threads I found on GTO UTE, the first one on post#5 shows picture of GTO UTE. Looks like most of the pictures on the other threads has been removed. I really have not had a chance to read all of the threads, but the guy who did the conversion got banded from ls1gto.com

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245895&highlight=ute

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97647&highlight=HWOODS

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113521&highlight=HWOODS

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Hey thanks for the link to those pics.

I'd be tempted to get the reproduction SAP grilles without the GTO emblem, shave the side GTO emblems and replace them with the Holden side marker lights and get an 05/06 hood and just call it a Pontiac Ute.

This just makes me miss the ST even that much more though. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
We need to find out if that body-in-white is VINless. (I assume it is)

If so, it could make things a bit easier legally.

At least here in PA

I think it would allow us to build the car and get a new VIN as a "kit car" or "street rod".

I'd have to check out all of the rules to be sure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I will check the VIN issue on the ute body shell.........see what you can do there Camino LS6

21 - 40 of 58 Posts