Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2009 G8 GXP
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk muscle cars for a few mnutes.

Right now I am wanting to purchase a new two door muscle car, American made autos (wife has diabetes and sometimes has circulation problems in her feet, so we need an auto) please. My choices are Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT8. I'm not considering either a Vette or CTS-V because I am looking for MSRP < $50,000.

So, let's see what we have. Right now the flavor of the month is the Mustang GT. Faster than the other two and lighter.

So, let's open up the crystal ball and see what the near future has to offer.

Mustang GT stays status quo. It's faster and lighter. I put the looks between the Challenger and the Camaro. This is a given, if anything the Mustang GT will get faster, not slower. About $34,000 will get you a nice premium model, with some bells and whistles.

Challenger is the best looking, but the slowest of the three. It is also has a gas guzzler tax, and at around $43,000 bucks is by far the most expensive, but it seems to have more bells and whistles than both the Mustang GT and Camaro SS. Let's look at the crystal ball and see what the future has in store. I have heard rumors of going from a 6.1 hemi to a 6.4 hemi, maybe within the next year or so. That is the good rumor, the bad rumor that should go with this is that I am sure the price will go up at least $5,000, which puts the Challenger SRT (8/10) close to the $50.000 range. Just way too much money for a Challenger, and puts it in the Vette territory price wise.

We have all heard the rumors about the new Z/28, either punched out LS engine or supercharged engine. At best this ups the price of the Camaro another $8,000 and puts it in the very high 30's to low 40's, maybe up to the mid 40's.

All of this is just my opinion that I have gotten from reading different Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger forums. I was curious what you folks have to say about the immediate future of 2 door, auto, American muscle, with a MSRP of < $50,000.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No right or wrong answers here, but here is my order of preference:

1. 2011 SRT-8 Challenger with the 6.4L (love the looks).

2. 2011 Mustang

3. Camaro.

If the Z-28 came out under 50k, I would probably rank above the Mustang.

Mustang is probably best performance per dollar.

I'll keep my GXP over all three. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bang for the buck I'd go Mustang GT, Camaro SS, then Challenger. If you don't mind spending mid 40s money then I'd go with the Z28 when it comes out.

·
G8 Seller
415 Posts
Challenger for the looks, room, and potential. The downside is the price.

The Mustang is second in looks, IMO, and already is pretty damn quick. Room suffers, but price is exceptional.

Camaro follows last. Frankly not a big fan of them at all. I like their rims on G8's if that counts. ;)

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
It's a very tough decision. For me price would factor in my decision.

Looks: 1st Challenger 2nd Camaro 3rd Mustang

Performance: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger

My choices regardless of price? Tough. I'd probally go with Challenger because it's the best looking(I think)

Mustangs have been around the longest and never disappeared. I'm seeing lots of stings and camaros so to stay unique I'd lean towards Challenger

Right now I don't have that to worry about. I have a fast, good looking unique ride I'm keeping. If Pontiac doesn't return. May buy another GTO to keep along G8. Going to pick up a hoopty for everyday driving.

·
The Ultimate Muscle Car!
309 Posts
There is a brand new 2010 Shelby GT500 at a dealership by my house for $45,000-granted, it doesn't have all the options, but a damn good price. That would be my pick.

·
Enthusiast
960 Posts
Are GT500's available in automatic? That would be the way to go for under $50,000.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Warranty:
Extended warranty which I bought with the car expires Feb 2013 or 75k miles.

The car:
23K miles, A4, Stock except for the Bassani exhaust.

The wheels:
18" stock wheels, exceptionally clean, also have a spare set of 17s.

HSV / holden Centre caps.

Body:

OEM SAP Front Extension (No holes drilled anywhere, I didn't mount the front license plate)
OEM SAP Grills

Tinted all around
Smoked Rear lights

HSV Badges in the rear.

Red reflective GTO in the rear insert

Also comes with a matching car cover, Always covered at work, Mostly covered even at home.

Inside:

HSV Floor mats
SCSS gauges

·
Registered
68 Posts
Electronics:
Pioneer Avic D3 integrated with steering wheel
Bluetooth

XM - SIRIUS radio

Rear View Camera

HIDs - both fogs and headlights

All work was performed by Abo at Team SCSS and I have records for everything.

The car is paid off, Title in Hand. I am looking at 20K. With Warranty. The car is Los Angeles, California.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is it safe to assume this would be a daily driver? The best opinion I can offer is what I would do with your choices. I would go with the challenger. Here's my reasoning. . .

For true old school/retro look, the other two don't even come close in my book. This is a big one in my eyes. I love the look of the challenger. It looks mean. I don't care about HP and torque numbers if I don't like the look of the car.

I don't think you should honestly worry about which car is the fastest, for two reasons. One, there's always somebody faster, through tunes, upgrades, etc.. Two, and somewhat related to number one, who knows what next year will bring? A mid cycle update and one of the three becomes the new fastest of the three. Rumor has it that the challenger may catch up a bit to the HP game next year. we'll see.

Interior room. The challenger has a usable back seat. This matters more to me because I'd have to put a car seat back there. But it's nice to be able to carry more than one person around, unless you know people with no heads or legs, in which case they would fit fine in the camaro or mustang's back seat.

Trunk space. Challenger wins again.

I understand the price difference issue. You could go with the R/T, and take the extra money and supercharge it. This would avoid the gas guzzler tax.

How often would you be driving it at the limit? The challenger loses in the HP category, handling category and weight category. It's a boat, it's huge, but I think that adds to the appeal. It makes it more true to the old school challenger.

My rankings would be:

1. Challenger
2. Mustang
3. Camaro

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I vote for waiting on the Z28. Guess I'm on of the few that don't really like the Challenger. I think maybe it's worth asking what will you do with the car? Will this be a DD only or will it ever see a track of some kind? Do you plan to mod the car of leave it stock?

·
Still mourning Pontiac!
49 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mustang is nice, but not exactly roomy, it's also very common. Camaro, nice, roomier than Mustang, but window size and dash height make it "feel" cramped, like looking out a postal slot, also common. Challenger is nice, roomy and has a great engine, it's porky though, if handling isn't a big deciding factor I'd go Challenger, if handling is, then I'd go Mustang. Just my opinions here...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are GT500's available in automatic? That would be the way to go for under $50,000.
There are no automatic GT 500's.

You can't go wrong with any of the cars listed. If you wait for a 6.4 Hemi or a Z28, you will wait for a long time to meet your price goals. Those two cars will be subject to major dealer "cost adjustments" upon entry into the market if they even hit the market within the next year.
Performance goes to the Stang. Exclusivity goes to the Challenger. The Camaro falls somewhere in between.
I'm a Stang guy, but I would say drive all three and take home the one that suits you and your wife the best. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
644 Posts
If I were still working at GM, I'd be looking at getting the Camaro Convertible. I saw a prototype a couple years ago and it was by far the most gorgeous of all.

Now that I don't work at GM, I can see the merits of the others. You've pretty much covered them already, so I guess the only thing left for you to do is test drive them and see how you like them.

·
269 Posts
Does it have to be new ? If not I'd be looking at a GTO or possibly an 04 Cobra. If new then probably a new 5.0 Stang.

·
2009 G8 GXP
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't mention GTO as I have already owned an 05 Impulse Blue auto, and I'm just wondering about thoughts in future cars.

I thought I made that point.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts