Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
One way to check if the wheel bearing is the issue is by putting load on the suspected side. For instance, if one suspects that the left wheel bearing is going bad, then driving the car in a right roundabout fashion causes the left wheel bearing to be placed under load. Roll down the windows and listen for any howling/grinding/turbine-like sounds coming from the wheel bearing under load. If no sounds, then I don't think its a wheel bearing issue......

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am going to conditionally withdraw my wheel bearing diagnosis based on my test drive after doing the Brembo upgrade on the rear of the car.

Noise is gone. Pulsation is gone. Not sure why I was getting that wiggle in the steering wheel with the light application of the brakes, but then again I'm not all that well versed on how the brake hydraulics work on these cars. All I know is that it is much better.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Freakin' lug nuts

I have to say I've never had a car that was so sensitive to lug nut torque. After doing some other work on my car, and reading reading a couple other threads on the topic of steering wheel shake, I decided to break out my torque wrench and check my lug nuts again .Of the 20 lugs, three were slightly under torque (the wrench moved slightly before clicking) and no two were on the same wheel. Took the car for a ride today and BOOM! No more shake.

I'll drive it some more (I have some road miles coming up) and check the lugs again. I might just go ahead and buy new lug nuts, as these have been off and on again enough times during my ownership that they might be worn out enough not to hold like they should.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
16 Participants
Jimal
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing