Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
There is a 2 wire harness connector located under the rear shelf on the passenger side (behind the right side trim). It feeds those 2 wires thru the rubber flex boot an trunk deck, to the license plate lights. There have been a few members that have had 1 or both wires breakdown in the past ( most likely within the rubber boot area). May not be the easiest area to T/S, but my guess is that is where you'll most likely find the damaged/broken wire(s).

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a 2 wire harness connector located under the rear shelf on the passenger side (behind the right side trim). It feeds those 2 wires thru the rubber flex boot an trunk deck, to the license plate lights. There have been a few members that have had 1 or both wires breakdown in the past ( most likely within the rubber boot area). May not be the easiest area to T/S, but my guess is that is where you'll most likely find the damaged/broken wire(s).
I disconnected the connector and confirmed I'm getting 12 volts. Now how to remove the wire from inside the truck lid is the issue. The whole wire is covered in foam and electric tape. What a major pain.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
A breakdown of either the power or ground wire downstream of that 2 pin connector, will of course cause the same problem. With the 2 pin connector hooked up (an parking lights selected on), getting either a good power and or ground return reading at the lamp sockets, would help you determine if one or both wires are in trouble. I can't tell you to do this, but if the stationary section of the wiring harness looks rock solid passing thru the trunk lid, it almost has to be within the rubber transition boot. If I had to T/S this, an found that I had enough access to stagger cut the 2 wires downstream of the boot, that's what I would try for. If one or both wires proved out as faulty at that cut point, you could then attach an back pull 2 fresh wires thru the rubber boot. Then stagger cut the upstream wires from the 2 pin connector at a convenient location, then splice an wrap up everything as necessary.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The broken wire was in the rubber boot. Huge thanks!

A breakdown of either the power or ground wire downstream of that 2 pin connector, will of course cause the same problem. With the 2 pin connector hooked up (an parking lights selected on), getting either a good power and or ground return reading at the lamp sockets, would help you determine if one or both wires are in trouble. I can't tell you to do this, but if the stationary section of the wiring harness looks rock solid passing thru the trunk lid, it almost has to be within the rubber transition boot. If I had to T/S this, an found that I had enough access to stagger cut the 2 wires downstream of the boot, that's what I would try for. If one or both wires proved out as faulty at that cut point, you could then attach an back pull 2 fresh wires thru the rubber boot. Then stagger cut the upstream wires from the 2 pin connector at a convenient location, then splice an wrap up everything as necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts