Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give a huge thank you to Andy(Realsquash) & Livernois(Rick & Dan). Andy was instrumental in helping install the cam and his expertise are un-matched. I appreciate every ounce of your help!! Livernois, well they just get all the parts together and make spending money very easy!

Livernois Contact:
Rick LeBlanc
[email protected]
(313) 561-5500 Ext. 2123

First Impressions / Unboxing
Being a Packaging Engineer, Livernois packages all the components very well. Everything is transported correctly through shipping and all pieces arrived without damage. I received everything needed for install in the first shipment.

Installation
Andy & I worked for 24 hours straight. We began disassembly at 7am on Friday morning, worked the entire day(break for lunch) and worked the entire night to fire the car up at 7:21am on Saturday(only reason I know this is from the timestamp on my camera, ha!). All we ate was Culvers. Yes, we were in WI and that was the choice for lunch and dinner.

To say the least, we were absolutely exhausted.

Install went exactly as planned, not a single bolt or screw lost, everything went back into it's own place. Car fired up on the first try and didn't throw a single code. Couldn't have gone any better.

Final Review
I absolutely love the cam, driveability is phenomenal. Car drives just as smooth as it did with intake, long tube headers, and the tune. I actually think the car drives better. With the windows up, no extra interior noise, cruising on the highway from 65-85ish is dead silent and I have zero complaints. With the windows down and going through a tunnel, the car sounds like a Ferrari, Lambo, whatever you want to call it. It just sounds plain awesome.

One of my favorite parts of the car is cruising around, pulling up to a stop-light, and just hearing the beautiful lope that the cam makes. It draws some attention, but isn't obnoxious. It turns the car into a wonderful summer cruiser.

I would highly recommend this cam over the 1C, this cam will make more power and this cam does not surge and requires next to zero additional braking when stopping. Overall it is a huge win.

I'll let the media do the talking:

Pictures!

Start of the day:

Begin by removing the intake manifold, coil packs, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel system wiring:

Remove the valley cover(which controls DoD items):

Valley covers compared:

Remove the rocker arms and pushrods:

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pull off the heads, this is pre-cleaning! Important to get all the gasket material off! Clean up some carbon if you are OCD like me, but not necessary:

Start to remove timing items, chain, gears etc...

Have fun pulling the old cam out:

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upper parts of the motor are out!

Looking into where the cam rotates:

Clean up the heads, install dual valve springs, don't put the heads on just yet:

Have fun installing the new cam:

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put heads back on, put in new lifter guides, install new lifters:

Install pushrods, rocker arms, valve covers, intake manifold, and all the other little accessories:

Finished!

Also, in case anyone is interested in seeing the inside of a solo HFC after mileage, still looking good:

Video of various clips(Good laugh at the end of clip one, I'm freakin out because it's sounds amazing, and Andy is saying, "Dude, get in here" stop screwin around ha):

Dyno Data!

Graph 1 has the following:
Line 1 - Stock
Line 2 - HF Cats + Mach Cat-Back
Line 3 - Kooks LT Headers + Mach Cat-Back + Solo HFC's
Line 4 - Roto-Fab CAI + Livernois Tune + Kooks LT Headers + Mach Cat-Back + Solo HFC's

Graph 2 has the following:
Line 1 - All of the above + Livernois Stage 1 cam package

Video!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Good write-up! This post may have just taken longer than your install!!!

Was radiator removal any issue?

And exactly what cam is this? You mention yours compared to 1C?

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good write-up! This post may have just taken longer than your install!!!

Was radiator removal any issue?

And exactly what cam is this? You mention yours compared to 1C?
Thanks!

Radiator removal just took some time, wasn't a big issue. Needed to get the fans and AC condenser out of the way as well. Just be careful when disconnecting, pretty easy to spill stuff all over the place.

Here is my cam: http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1941

Here is the 1C: http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1942

The 1C is known as a "Stealth" cam and not as aggressive(Better for a wife to daily drive...) The 1 will make more power over the 1C.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That was awesome!! Car looks great and sounds even better! Great job guys!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good god you guys are gonna make it really hard for me to stick to my promise to my wife of not modding my GT. Cntry nice write up man and the car sounds perfect not too mellow not too aggressive. Good job

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So when do you plan to come back to Ra cha cha? :)

·
GOT VTAK?
689 Posts
Nice how did you like messing with that pickup tube on the Oil Pump LOL

·
GOT VTAK?
689 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So when do you plan to come back to Ra cha cha? :)
When are you coming to Cha Cha Cha Chicago :)

That damn oil pump pickup tube was the hardest part of the entire install! Screw that thing!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I flew through Chicago just the other day on my way to the NCAA game. Would be nice to actually chill in the city for a weekend. How far from downtown are ya?

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in the city almost daily and have a residence in Glenview (~20 mins or so).

·
I can haz cheesburger?
329 Posts
You're in Glenview? Hey man, I would LOVE to see your car in person. I'm sort of new to the car in general and was looking to do something exactly like you shortly down the line (however, my expertise is VERY limited) but I'd love to see the car in person. I'm in the Niles/D Plaines area so when/if you got some spare time let me know.

BTW, killer write up. I've been looking at the pics for about 30 minutes and still can't get enough.

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Good job. Nice write up. The system sounds great. I wish my VMS cam had your drivability.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
35 Participants
[email protected]
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing