Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well christmas time is coming up and since i am in the military im going back home to Texas for the holidays. Anything that i should do with my car before i do my trip like change the oil (changed it first at 4,000) now at 9k miles. I dont have money for snow tires but i put 300 pounds in the trunk and drove around in the snow a little when it was here. Well im just asking for your point of view if i need to do anything with the car to make sure i have a safe trip since i really haven't done long distance or driven in the snow that long. thanks for the help.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were might i be able to find autosocks and i know in the manual that chains are not allowed but people are saying that they are going to get them has any one actually used them and what were the effects if so.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dear G8 friend I drove a whole winter in Canada with All season tires. And I got bye just fine. If you are driving to Texas All Seasons will do. Just change the oil before you go on your trip or change your oil when you arrive at your destination. Also winter washer fluid is good advise.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wikipedia says Spokane, WA.

To the OP: what kind of tires do you have on your G8? Summer-only or all-seasons?

If they're summer-only... I'd consider trying to fly home rather than drive. If they're all-seasons, you need to consult a map to see the best way to go where you'll have the least chance of hitting snow. Check the weather and only depart when the path is clear (and keep checking during the trip, hope you've got a smart phone of some kind as it can be incredibly useful in these situations)...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no fairchild afb washington

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a blackberry phone and there 19' wheels

·
Registered
488 Posts
but are they Bridgestone Potenza's or BF Goodrich RS/A's? If the latter, they are all-seasons, if the former, they're summer-only. I would be hesitant to drive in any snow with the summer-only tires...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are Bridgestone Potenza's, what dos this mean?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no when i came up here i took my dad and he took and airplane back this time its just me

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look on the side of the tire to see if they are all seasons. It should say M+S witch stands for mud and snow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If they're Potenza's they are summer-only.

Is there a route you can take where there's little to no chance of snow, and temps will remain 40 degrees or above? My guess is no (haven't driven much in the NW except Vancouver to Seattle once, so I don't know).

The AutoSock might be OK if you trip is brief and the snow's not deep.

too late to fly?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no there is no other route but wouldn't the highways be fine if i drove threw the area i mean im leaving here on the 20th so wouldn't the roads be a little better plus i have weight in the back of the car and when its bad weather conditions you can pull over or slow down to your lickings with blinkers on

·
Registered
488 Posts
Read this article on summer-only vs. all-season vs. dedicated snows:

http://www.insideline.com/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

I've pulled out the important part:

Inside Line said:
It takes 11.7 seconds for our Civic Si to accelerate to 40 mph on snow tires, and 14.5 seconds to get there on all-season rubber — nearly 3 seconds and 24 percent slower. As for the summer tires, well, they require, ahem, 41.7 seconds as they struggle to 40 mph. That's no typo; it takes a half-minute longer — 257 percent more time — for the summer tires to reach this modest speed.

What about our traditional 0-60-mph test? Well, snow tires get to 60 mph in 19.1 seconds, while the all-season treads arrive in 22.9 seconds, nearly 4 seconds later. Forget the summer tires, however. The available 3,650 feet of snow — seven-tenths of a mile — isn't enough. We figure 67 seconds and 3,100 feet are needed to get there, and then there's the small matter of needing to stop again.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay so summer tires are a bad ideal but what if i use snow cables there suppose to be thinner than chains and made for our tip of car. would this help my car in the snow conditions.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not going to drive threw cali when i was looking at snow paths on the roads the only bad state that has snow is montana all the others have there roads well maintained and montana dos to but some parts still have snow on the road hopefully they will get to those areas and clear the roads out

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay so i went to la schwab tires today and they said they could do siping to my tires would this be a good ideal for the 19' inch pontza tires for my trip and then get snow cables?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im driving my car around right now and feeling really good with my car all im looking at is the snow conditioned area and the weather is like 10 degress

1 - 20 of 39 Posts