Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current mods are Volant CAI and mid and rear muffler deletes. Want to get headers but having trouble deciding. Will connect to stock exhaust. Cat delete. These 3 seem decent, however, open to new suggestions and input of anyone with experience with the below listed.

1. Pacesetter 70-2259 brand new $230. Cheap grade steel however seems to have positive reviews. At first price sounds like a great price But then have to buy the extension pipes which is roughly $90. Kooks o2 Extension harness is $30, and then I’ll have to weld which for arguments sake is $100. Rough total price is $450.

2. jba which is $570. Good quality steel. Comes w o2 harness. My understanding is that it comes really close to the steering shaft sometimes hitting it. From reading on this forum it will have to he welded as well but won’t need extension pipes. Correct me if I’m wrong. Rough total price is $570, if have to get welded then $670.

3. Kooks 24202400 which is $1000. Everyone knows what they are. Comes with o2 extension harness. From reading here, if I want to attach them to stock pipes, will have to get extension and weld. Rough total is $1200. Can’t wrap my head on spending $1200 for headers. To each his own.

Does anyone know of any headers that will bolt right up to stock exhaust, no extension pipes or welding needed?? Really trying to avoid a visit to the exhaust shop. Thank you

·
G8BRU
19 Posts
The long tubes will not be a direct bolt on, solo makes connection pipes, kooks makes the best quality headers you can buy for this car. The kooks mids headers with cats will be a direct bolt on though. The only exhaust im aware of that actually is a direct bolt on for longtube headers is the solo exhaust with the connection pipes built in. Im pretty sure pypes might make a set that is of the longtube variant that may be a direct bolt on for the stock exhaust. The pacesetter headers I would stay away from.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Real soon I'll be doing a ls3 install with pypes headers. (Suppose to be a direct bolt on). I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pypes has discontinued their G8 headers unfortunately and it seems like they're getting out of LS headers altogether.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah i know. But i was able to find 2 sets of pypes headers from different distributors. I bought one. The other is still up for sale. The last i checked..

·
SUSP3CT
888 Posts
Kooks are a no brainer. Depending how far you want to go with the build, I think Kooks are a great "investment".

·
Registered
2012 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
4 Posts
When I got my Caprice I ordered the Solo Mach balanced cat back right away. My kooks long tubes come in today, and later this month I’m ordering the catted adapters from solo. I’ve heard a few other G8’s and Caprices running the same combo I will be, it sounds mean at WOT and cruising draws no more attention than a stock Corvette. The kooks are 100% worth the money. You just need to decide if you’re going to build a beefy 6.2+ or boosted 6.0 for 1-7/8” primaries, or keeping a more conservative build in mind and go with the 1-3/4”. I chose the 1-7/8, I’ll lose torque on the 6.0, but I plan on building an L99/L92 6.2 into an upgraded LSA clone. In the end the choice is yours.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Personally I find ARH to be the best headers, but to each their own.

They're "pricey", in that it's for a low production car, 11-12 years on. Demand is practically non-existant. But even when the cars were new the headers were expensive; again because these are low production cars. Only around 35k vehicles made it stateside.

Pricey is relative. I find these headers at an acceptable price for what they are. Made from good quality material, and made by hand in the USA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts