Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any leads on a low mileage or otherwise decent condition differential for a '08-'09 G8
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
GXP 6-speed manual I would greatly appreciate it. Trying to get my daily driver back on the road馃檹馃徑馃檹馃徑馃檹馃徑

Premium Member
Location? Try eBay or car-part.com. On car-part.com be sure to call and inquire first as oftentimes the items once listed aren't updated to reflect being sold, etc.

Reactions: White GXP Gem

Lone Star State
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
A few years ago I was trying to sell my GXP diff, but with the ever increasing rarity of GXP parts I've decided to keep all of my parts. I have the Camaro 1LE 3.91 installed now and I would recommend the diff. If possible, also upgrade the axles to help keep the wheel hop to a minimum.

Registered
I would recommend swapping it out for something that has a lot of aftermarket support. Sounds like the Camaro 1LE is the ticket.

If your concern is originality then get yours rebuilt. Should still be possible though I can't say for sure.

Registered
If you are going to sell it soon, rebuild yours. If you are going to drive it hard? Buy a fifth Gen Camaro diff and add the gear you want. Less likely to break

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. It has been extremely helpful. More than likely I am going to go the 1LE swap route and I'm going to rebuild my old one and keep it available just in case. The rear axles and wheel-hop is also something I will look further into as it has already been an issue. I appreciate you all.

Registered
2009 G8 GT 3 pedal, 6.6l, E-Force TVS 2300, Pedders Xa & BMR stuff, DSS axels, twin disc clutch.
I have a 87k mile 3.7 GXP differential but I am in Northern VA. Shipping would be expensive.

I have a hot wife!
A few years ago I was trying to sell my GXP diff, but with the ever increasing rarity of GXP parts I've decided to keep all of my parts. I have the Camaro 1LE 3.91 installed now and I would recommend the diff. If possible, also upgrade the axles to help keep the wheel hop to a minimum.
Hi Green
Could you elaborate on the axle upgrade? Which ones would be a direct swap and eliminate WH? I have a Manual GXP and have never spun tires intentionally - because of the tremendous WH issue. It WILL break something!
TIA

Registered
2009 G8 GT 3 pedal, 6.6l, E-Force TVS 2300, Pedders Xa & BMR stuff, DSS axels, twin disc clutch.
If you want to help eliminate wheel hop, get toe rods and trailing arms upgraded. I have Drive Shaft Shop 1,000 hp axels, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, Pedders Xa, BMR subframe connectors and tunnel brace, and BMR sway bars. When I let the clutch out in 2-4th, the wheels just spin straight on street tires and not hop around.

Lone Star State
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Hi Green
Could you elaborate on the axle upgrade? Which ones would be a direct swap and eliminate WH? I have a Manual GXP and have never spun tires intentionally - because of the tremendous WH issue. It WILL break something!
TIA
Here's what I have installed. I drive pretty conservatively, but no wheel hop.

• GMP22806794 - (3.91) 1LE DIFFERENTAL CAMARO
  • DET912A686 - TRUE TRAC GM 8.6 32 SPLINE 10- CAMARO
  • LPW211-10IRS - CAMARO PRO-SERIES REAR DIFF.
  • BMRBK001 - 2010 CAMARO DIFFERENTIAL MOUNTS
  • BMRTR003 - TOE RODS REAR CAMARO
  • BMRTCA026 - G8/CAMARO TRAILING ARMS
  • RIC83-1077-1 - INSTALL KIT 2010 CAMARO
  • TDSRA5266X5/RA5267X5 - LEVEL 5 AXLES G8

• MCL6932-07 RXT CLUTCH SPECIAL MADE FOR G8-GXP
  • MCL460530 GM LS1 STEEL 168 TOOTH
  • ARP330-2802 CHEVY FLYWHEEL BOLT KIT
  • GMP12557583 PILOT BEARING LS3/7 CAMARO/CORVETTE
  • GMP92227219 G8 SLAVE CYL
  • MGWSTSG8CFK SHORT THROW SHIFTER G8 WITH COMPOSITE KNOB

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. It has been extremely helpful. More than likely I am going to go the 1LE swap route and I'm going to rebuild my old one and keep it available just in case. The rear axles and wheel-hop is also something I will look further into as it has already been an issue. I appreciate you all.
Hi Green
TIA
I've noticed tires have a big impact on Wheel hop
Hi Green
TIA
I've noticed tire wear and pattern have a big impact on wheelhop in My all-stock G8 GXP.

Premium Member
Upgrade to a Camaro 1LE 3.91 diff, you won't regret it.
I can vouch that these bolt right into a manual transmission GXP. However, not sure of the current availability of them thru GM. Years ago when I needed, a second one, they were on back order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts