Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just had some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires put on yesterday. Was debating between the Pilot Sport 4s and Continental Extremecontact Sport tires. Given the price difference and that I don't do any sort of tracking of my car or have any major mods, I figured the Firestone's would make the most sense for me. Previously I had Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires which were great but wore down quickly. I also managed to pop 3 of them in the time I had them!

No plans to drive them hard for the first 500 miles or so but I'm hoping they live up to all the hype!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Cool. Let us know what you think. I'm content given the price

·
Registered
518 Posts
Cool. Let us know what you think. I'm content given the price
Have a little over 1k miles on the tires now, so will give my impressions. Only tires I can compare them to are the stock Eagle RSA and Bridgstone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. As we all know, the RSAs are not very good so I won't even make any comparisons to those. As far as how they compare to S-04 tires (FYI, my car is basically stock. Also take this all with a grain of salt. I'm far from a professional tester and don't have a ton of experience with different tires):

- Dry Traction: Tires are very similar with the slight edge given to S-04. Under full throttle in a straight line, the S-04s would struggle to break loose. Even around corners, I'd really have to try quite hard to get the car sliding. The Indys give a slight chirp on 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Haven't tried any really hard sharp corners yet. Around long bends such as a clover-leaf on-ramp, they are basically identical.
- Wet Traction: S-04s win this hands down. It really was unreal how well the S-04 would grip in the wet. First time I took the car out in the wet with the Indys, I noticed immediately that they were not nearly as grippy. Back end breaks loose a lot easier and I got quite a bit of understeer as well. Maybe there is still some oil from the manufacturing process on the tires, not too sure.
- Comfort (Noise/Ride Quality): The Indy's win this easily. They are insanely quiet and comfortable. I'm sure some of this has to do with the fact that the S-04s were at end of life and the Indys are brand new so have a lot more rubber left, but even with that, I'm still just blown away by how quiet and comfortable these tires are.
- Treadwear: Can't comment on the Indy's yet as they are so new, but the S-04s did not wear well at all. I drive a bit more spirited, but nothing too crazy and the S-04s were basically done after 3 seasons. This was a big reason for not going with them again.
- Value: Indy's easily take this category. They were $200 cheaper than the S-04 tires and are nearly as good. Will just have to see if wet traction gets better over time and see how the Indys wear.

Overall I am extremely happy with the tires and I'd say they are a perfect mix of performance and comfort. For the price, you really can't go wrong. I'm sure tires such as the Pilot Sport 4s are better, I just can't see how they are $400 better, especially for a DD stock G8.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Good job on the review. Better than I would have written. Yes. Not the best of the best but good for the price point. Not the most confident cornering hard either. Especiall after its rained. Thanks for posting!

·
every village has one
2,203 Posts
Looking also.... my DWS are now going on 7 years old. 6000 miles. Fronts are great, backs a little worn from the Maggie/3.27 combo but still pretty good.
Was looking to summer/performance tire, but in the real world what is the temp range they’re still good in?
Don’t get out in a lot of cold days, but one bad one could be enough.

Looking at just going back to the DWS06 if nothing else is suitable.
Input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What about steering response and feedback? These are characteristics I look for and set the better tires apart from the rest.

·
Registered
518 Posts
What about steering response and feedback? These are characteristics I look for and set the better tires apart from the rest.
This one is tough for me as I personally don't have a ton of experience to really tell the the smaller differences from one high end tire to another with regards to those specific characteristics. Also, any new tire will have a little less feedback and steering response just due to the fact that there is a lot more tread that will move and absorb a bit of what you'd otherwise feel, so the Indys right away feel a bit worse than the S-04. Even with them being new though, I'd still say the S-04s bested the Indys in both feedback and steering response.

The Indys really are just a very good DD tire. They are extremely comfortable compared to the S-04s that I ran previously, but don't have the raw performance of them. For what you get for the price, they are very good and I think this is also a big reason why they rank so highly on TireRack. If you value performance more over comfort and are fine paying more, then look at other tires.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How large of a rear tire can fit?
Stock ride height.
Ctsv sedan rims.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Anybody run the Pilot Sport A/S 3+In snow? I’d love to get away from my 2 sets of wheel/tire setup since both summer and winter need to be replaced and I’m not sure how much longer I’ll hold on to the G8...
I know it's a few months later, but I just took my Pilot Sport A/S 3+ to Mammoth during and immediately after a snowstorm and they were incredible. I didn't drive when the state was calling for chains on "all vehicles except 4 wheel drive with snow tires", but I drove without chains for 4 days when they were calling for chains on all cars except those with snow tires. M+S rating on the PS A/S 3+ meant the chains stayed in the trunk :)

I had no issues at all. I drive conservatively but I took the car several places where I was sure I was going to have to either turn back, abort a hill climb, or put on the chains, but not once did the rear wheels slip even a tiny bit, on all types of snow/ice conditions. Max fresh snow depth was about half an inch so I don't pretend these are "real" snow tires, but with careful driving these things were great on packed snow and snow over ice even on un-scraped roads without any gravel.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Wow you are brave...

I do not take my G8 to any snow or ice area. Just me, keeping it away from salt, rocks or dangerous situations.

No doubt these cars with the right set of tires can ford some winter weather. But IMHO, these cars are too rare to dare :D

·
Registered
856 Posts
When I left on the trip, snow had fallen the day prior and forecast was dry/sunny/cold for the upcoming week. It was only the morning after I arrived when the weather services realized it was *still* snowing, and updated the *ahem*forecast*ahem* to reflect the actual frozen water falling from the sky. I figured I had chains in the trunk so what the heck I gave it a try, and I was totally surprised by how well the car handled. Several years ago I had tried driving in super light snow on the OEM RS/A tires and got stuck in an inch of snow 10 ft from my driveway, so I really assumed I was going to need the chains the whole time. But surprise surprise, the PS A/S 3+ tires really performed far better than I expected so I never took the chains out of the trunk (once I had confirmed that "chains required" didn't apply due to M+S rating on the tire so I wouldn't get a ticket haha).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts