Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an oil pan that I can seem to find in my area the numbers are 12616857. Do I have to get another oil pan with the same exact numbers?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think OP is referring to the engine pan in which case the Camaro and G8 share the same part.

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
Part number appears to be 12640748 and check eBay/ might find a takeoff for less.

·
Registered
300 Posts
A true LS3 pan is different from the L76 pan. The hole where the dipstick tube goes is in a different location. If you get an LS3 pan you will also need the matching dipstick. Also, depending on the year of your car 08, 09, 09.5 your main starter power wire will also need to be modified so it doesn't arc onto the LS3 dipstick tube... ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
This is confusing. That opening posted oil pan P/N, "does not" even show up as being a good P/N.. They do show that the 08GT --- 09GT --- an GXP's (as well as several others like Camero, SS an Corvettes etc), all use the exact same P/N as posted by "PONY MAN"

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is confusing. That opening posted oil pan P/N, "does not" even show up as being a good P/N.. They do show that the 08GT --- 09GT --- an GXP's (as well as several others like Camero, SS an Corvettes etc), all use the exact same P/N as posted by "PONY MAN"
While the Camaro, all V8 G8's, Caprice and SS use the same part number there is an issue depending on if you have 6.2 or 6.0. When I rebuilt my motor this past July, we ordered a take off LS3 pan from Pace Performance. Apparently, they put different pans on the crate motors they sell. LS 3's have the dipstick tube hole in the block. The pan does have the boss for the dipstick but you would have to drill it out. The boss is right there above the bar code sticker. There is a plug in the block that just pops out. Unfortunately, the LS3 dipstick tube is right in the path of the starter wire. I had to modify/bend the terminal on the power wire so that it didn't touch the tube.
Part number GMP-12640748-k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts