Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good suggestion for a cheap cat delete without headers or exhaust. I am trying to get a little HP until I can afford long tubes and full exhaust.

sorry I don't really understand the search function as it is basically just a google search

Newbie :surprise:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Make sure you save up plenty of money for a fine, too. ;)

You probably won't find many shops will do the work outside of a "no inspection" state. It'll make your car illegal, and while I don't know for sure, it might involve a waiver for off road use only.

Seriously, just wait for the long tubes and high flow cats. Those will pass most states with a tune just fine. In the meantime, you won't be stinking up the air around you for a few HP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you save up plenty of money for a fine, too.

You probably won't find many shops will do the work outside of a "no inspection" state. It'll make your car illegal, and while I don't know for sure, it might involve a waiver for off road use only.

Seriously, just wait for the long tubes and high flow cats. Those will pass most states with a tune just fine. In the meantime, you won't be stinking up the air around you for a few HP.
I am in a non inspection state and I do all my own work to my cars... not worried at all about the legality of it... i wont have cats with my full exhaust either. I just want the HP

If I could get long tube headers and cat back exhausts to meet up nicely without welding I might be getting them sooner rather than later

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't make assumptions about who does the work.... so it wasn't a shot to your pride... :D

If it is your preference to do the welding, then I'd still just wait; if the unavailability of welding equipment is what you're getting at.

If you want to get rid of the cats, you'll have to cut and weld a new pipe in anyways. If you wanted to do a custom down pipe by bending the pipe yourself, you'd still need to weld it. I don't think using sleeves are a good idea.

It just seems like extra expense that is unnecessary. Just my opinion. You seem set on doing it.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not taking any offence at all :D Just letting you know that emissions and inspections and all that will not impact me... not really set on doing it that way. just looking at my options. I know my buddy bought deletes for his CTS-V that just bolt to his factory cat locations for under $100. I was hoping for something similar. We discussed simply hollowing the factory cats but I feel like that is a waste of resources when I could sell perfectly good cats instead of dumping out perfectly valuable platinum.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
I haven't seen a straight pipe that works in place of the factory cats, you'd probably need to fab one up on your own.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I personally don't like the other heavy metal dusts that would result.... I figured you already left that idea behind, though...

Somebody else here might know of something, but in my shopping for exhaust parts for my project I have run into no such part for the G8.

·
-
120 Posts
I wonder if you could tweak Camaro "off-road" pipes to work. If the Camaro LS3 manifolds use the same outlet as our cars, you "should" be able to bolt these up, shorten them to the correct length and add the needed flange to bolt to factory mid pipes.

BBK : 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 camaro ss ls3 off road pipes

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well that is a good idea. I think I am just gonna hold off a bit longer and see if I can get the full exhaust saved up for. I really hate to needlessly throw time and money at something i'm going to replace anyways. I was hoping for a band-aid which I should know better by now :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts