Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason to believe a 2009 G8 GT has any long term collectable value? Mine has no miles, and is in showroom condition, but I could use the money and space. I keep going around about selling it, but I'm torn. Unfortunately, some cars regardless the age or condition never really become collectors items...just special interest cars.What does anyone else think?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There are so many factors involved that only time will really tell. It does have "The Last Pontiac" going for it (if you discount any of the stuff sold in 2010 that was on a platform released prior to the Commodore)....

Still, it would have to be something that's difficult to get your hands on. That above all is a large determining factor. Add to the fact that the platform it is based on has several variants.....

Besides, even if you do keep it and it becomes a collectors item, it isn't gonna pay for your retirement. :D

Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is a tough question. It seems that the low mileage cars have held value fairly well but to say they will command significant dollars is tough. It is a four door seadan at it root and that may keep it in check. If you think about all the truly collectibles over the years, there haven't been many four door cars in the mix for truly high value. I think these will maintain at in the 30s for low mileage and good condition but I can't see hitting a home run financially on one. I myself love the uniqueness and that is worth something to me but maybe not the market. If I look at my gxp, I paid about $40k and it is in great shape, limited color (psm), 6m, and has less than 10k miles but I don't think I could get much more than what I paid if that. If I took that $40k and invested it wisely, it would probably be at least $50k. However, I do enjoy the car thoroughly!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, I mean think about it... There are a lot of cars that would fall into the G8's category.... It simply isn't going to be memorable enough....

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I think there is a chance.

As for its value. A big part is supply and demand. If a person wants something and there's a ton of what they want out there, they wont pay much. If there are only 2, they'll pay up. Obviously the firehawks and gxps will have a good shot. Gt's, maybe if you have a rare color and or low mileage. People love stock and a stock gt is becoming harder to find, so that too. As time goes on people will be getting into wrecks and totaling them out. Rust and age will also take its toll on our cars. So that'll play a roll in supply and demand and effect the values.

Another thing that's gonna effect our cars value is parts availability. Again, supply and demand. If there are a ton of hoods and so on out there, then parts will be cheap. If you can't find one without searching hard, you'll pay up. Parts for our cars are already higher. My front bumper cover is now a 900 dollar item. I had it replaced and body shop said a typical bumper cover is more like 300. This is also why cars are getting totaled out. The value of the car isn't high enough to justify the costs of the repairs because parts are too costly. This is why I feel our cars should be worth more already. Because then the value of the car would justify the repair costs. But i know that its not changing anytime soon.

I love my g8 and have ZERO plans on selling. The style, the rarity, the horsepower, the g8 community. I've been to a few get togethers now with other g8 owners and everyone has been friendly and mature and have had some great times. That was definitely something I wasn't expecting when I got my g8.

So with all that. again, I think our cars have a shot.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
By the time its worth more and that's even if its ever going to worth more, you'll be old and gray.
If you want an investment buy real estate or play the stock market if you want to live dangerously.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You make a good case, but I think that's your love for the car talking. I understand just how you feel. Only time will tell... but I really do agree with others that the chances are extremely slim.

The car hasn't been produced in 8 years, so part expense will always increase unless they're common to other cars. (I.E. Engine Parts, etc) As far as $300 body panels are concerned, I'd like to see the quality of THOSE body panels... hehe. :D

Body shops will typically use after market body panels unless the car is newer for the very reason you've mentioned; cost. After market panels MOSTLY match up, but there is always a deviation from the original part. A good body shop will make it so you don't notice, but they also charge you more (because they're good at what they do, hehe). You can always request the OEM part, but if it is an older car you either gotta pay or convince the insurance company to cover it in one of many ways. I have had some success with that.

If it is a specialty manufacture item... well, it BETTER be expensive, otherwise it isn't very good. :D

Still, I know just how you feel. I love this car. :D I probably won't be selling it either. I am rooting for it to become such an item... Like I said, though, I think the chances are slim. It doesn't hurt to hop against all odds, though... :D

Now... there is a chance that gasoline cars could be banned in the reasonably distant future (far enough for collectors items to come into play).... hehehehehe That would suck for our odds.. :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
By the time its worth more and that's even if its ever going to worth more, you'll be old and gray.
If you want an investment buy real estate or play the stock market if you want to live dangerously.
Yeah, find yourself a nice urban spot that isn't pricey yet. You'll spend 150K, but values will rise as people move in and you'll sell it for $350. :D (or more)

There are people sitting in 50K houses with 500K lots here in Charlotte. They'll sell it for something like that and then the buyer will turn around and knock the little bungalow down... They'll either replace it with a large but tasteful house. Or a large and ugly McMansion Box with the windows that don't seem to make any symmetrical sense..... And the front is the only place with any style... The back? Forget about it... Just boards with the aforementioned odd window choices....

·
Registered
896 Posts
Even after 9 years, the G8 still has a strong following and the cars, even those with high miles have maintained decent resale value. But, I don't see it ever being a car that, as many others have said, will allow you to retire off of it's appreciation. It'll have a chance at being a classic collectible one day. In my mind, it's this generations version of the 94-96 Impala SS. Low mile ones have maintained their value, and good higher mileage ones still sell for decent money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They've held value well, but I agree that I don't think they will necessarily increase in value. I would NOT keep it and keep it low miles if you're doing it for the investment...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I think you have stated how I feel. Maybe time to pull the trigger and move on. If I can't use, better for someone else to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It will be hard to let go. Right now, while my car is sitting idle in a driveway (that's not even mine)... I have to drive this old beat up 2002 Mercury Sable, and I hate it. Even when I drive my wife's car I still can't wait to just get the car done and get back behind the wheel....

But it's just a car... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts