Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
On the Hunt
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have the SLP Powerflo Axleback right now, and it's just too quiet for me I think. Doesn't even seem like I'm driving a V8 (of course I had a cammed LS1 with long tubes and a cutout before this).

Have no other exhaust mods. What would be the next way to add some decibels/rumble? Should I change Axleback?

Would also hope to not increase drone much

Edit: I plan on going headers someday, but not in the near future

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get rid of the mid muff, or do LTs with an X.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You could try a X-Pipe in replacement of your mid-muffler. I have the Solo axle back and did something somewhat similar. The alternative is headers??

EDIT: SLiKiRiSH took the words out of my mouth.

·
On the Hunt
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try a X-Pipe in replacement of your mid-muffler. I have the Solo axle back and did something somewhat similar. The alternative is headers??

EDIT: SLiKiRiSH took the words out of my mouth.
How do you like the sound of yours, and what x-pipe did you use?

Any benefit/different of just deleting the mid-muffler vs x?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Get rid of it all.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How do you like the sound of yours, and what x-pipe did you use?

Any benefit/different of just deleting the mid-muffler vs x?

I used a 2.5" SS X-Pipe off Ebay. The shop I went to put the X-Pipe in the wrong spot (They put it in replacement of the resonators, not the mid muffler), therefore I am not a good candidate for a opinion. I would check out YouTube, there are multiple videos on there showing the difference with and without the x-pipe.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As long as you have stock exhaust manifolds, cats, and resonators, you're not going to get it a whole lot louder. Pull the axlebacks off and start it up and you'll see how loud it will go. With you're current configuration, you need no mufflers, i.e. SLP loud mouths or solo axlebacks, which would make it as loud as it possibly can be with your otherwise stock exhaust.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got rid of my muflers first and straight piped it in the back its ok, then i got rid of my mid muffler and put a xpipe in place barelly made it louder, and now waiting to install my long tubes to top it off with no cats

·
Registered
267 Posts
The mufflers in the back make the biggest difference, the xpipe is a minor difference. So yea

·
Arrival
183 Posts
He doesn't want drone.... Which means straight pipes would definitely not be the way to go.

I, however, happen to find the 1,800-2000 rpm hum to be very soothing!

Your biggest killer of sound is your mufflers.... Especially in the cabin. I feel like mine isn't very loud sometimes, (even with the windows down) but I let someone else hit the pedal while I stand behind it and I quickly change my mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Solo axle back with x pipe is the way to go. Not horribly loud but not quiet and no drone at all. That's the set up I have and I love it.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
He doesn't want drone.... Which means straight pipes would definitely not be the way to go.

I, however, happen to find the 1,800-2000 rpm hum to be very soothing!

Your biggest killer of sound is your mufflers.... Especially in the cabin. I feel like mine isn't very loud sometimes, (even with the windows down) but I let someone else hit the pedal while I stand behind it and I quickly change my mind.
You CAN have straight pipes and little drone! Very easy. And there is a lot of truth in the above post (other than the drone comment!). Muffs are the biggest sound killer/way to improve sound in the exhaust. I had your setup, went to straight pipes with J-bends and LOVED IT! For about $150, it can be done and you will not look back.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Ebay 2.5" XPipe + Solo Axleback = What you are looking for and can be had for just under $500 (XPipe $30 - Solo $440). You can offset your cost by listing the Powerflos on here. They are pretty desirable for their subdued sound and trapezoid tips. Used Powerflos move for around $300-$350. Also keep in mind labor of ~$80 for the welding of the XPipe in place of your Mid Muffler. Axlebacks can be installed in your driveway in about 30 minutes. If you don't turn wrenches than bring your labor up to $120-$150 for the whole shebang.

·
On the Hunt
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I did some vid searching after looking at y'all's suggestions, and I really like the way an x-pipe plus solo sounds. That sounds more like what I'm looking for

Will the tips fit well the the gxp diffuser?

·
On the Hunt
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would there be a reason not to just use some straight pipes instead of an x pipe?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yea its best too use a crossover h or x pipe comes down too sound differences

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Would there be a reason not to just use some straight pipes instead of an x pipe?
No reason. You are after sound, not the last ounce of power. The X pipe helps scavenge exhaust, but changes the exhaust note somewhat.
Go straight pipes first...you can always add the X later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts