Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I developed a knocking noise in my front end while turning and after some diagnosis, noticed my tie rod ball joint was loose. At first, I thought the ball joint might have been shot, but came to find-out that the nut was loose. I tightened it up. Now the noise (and looseness) is gone.

Does anyone know why our tie rods don't have castle nuts with cotter pins? It's kind of scary knowing that I could have lost control of the car had that nut come fully loose separating the tie rod from the steering knuckle.

By the way, I had an alignment done about a year ago so I'm guessing it was they who didn't tighten the nut properly.

·
GM Enthusiast
826 Posts
I have the same symptoms. I guess I will have to check this out tonight. I checked all of my sway components and they are tight. Good catch.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the "wobble test" and used my iPhone to video all of the joints while I did it and saw the tie rod bouncing around. The wheel wobbled a good deal. Do the same. Jack-up the front end, put car on stands and grab the tires at 3:00 and 9:00 as well as 12:00 and 6:00 and push/pull. If the wheel wobbles, arrange to have someone look at your joints (or video it) and see which joint is loose. If you find a joint to be loose and the nut is already tight, then your ball joint could be shot....needing replacement.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
The technician wouldn't have had the nut securing the tierod to the spindle off if he was just doing an alignment, only if it was being replaced.

The nuts have nylon in the ends, and typically the threads of the tierod become so rusted, the nut won't come off even with an impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yea this is the first car i worked on that saw no cotter pin and castle nut lol
Not a fan of the nylon lock nuts

·
Registered
586 Posts
This is interesting I just had my car in the dealership a week or so ago and gave the same symptom and they said the "tightened" the suspension and I dont hear the sound anymore. This was probably the issue. Easy 80 bucks for them.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
@ColdFuzion, I’m glad they were able to get this taken care of for you.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

1 - 7 of 7 Posts